Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a trick to opening the smart key to check or replace the battery? Or should I just stick a screwdriver in the mechanical key slot and pry until it either opens or breaks?

The manual says:

1. Remove the mechanical key.
2. Use a slim tool to pry open the rear cover of the smart key.

I've pried as much as I feel comfortable, and it doesn't seem to be opening much of a gap.

I want to check the battery because the outside door lock buttons have gone intermittent on my month-old Kona EV Ultimate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I have the same tool as in the video. The one useful thing he said was "The first time you do this, it will be very difficult." There was no way that tool was going in there, even prying with a screwdriver in the mechanical key hole.

I finally did pry them apart. When it gave, a piece split along the edge of the rim on the side, not anywhere near where I was prying.

I've opened a lot of remote keys, but this is the first one that wouldn't open without damage.

Oh, the battery measures 3.07v. A battery I bought on eBay probably a couple of years ago measures 3.21v. The car's date of manufacture is four months ago.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've also had intermittent issues with the door locks not responding to the key fob. In a similar attempt to fix it, I also replaced the battery. And, had the same problems getting to the battery and damaging the fob.

However, the battery replacement did not fix the issue. I occasionally still have to get the fob out and hit the unlock button manually.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re the fob - I wonder if it will help to dab a little WD-40 in the crack between the fob case halves before prying apart for the first time.

Re the door locks - It happened repeatably with both remotes two days ago, but I have not been able to repeat it. I was in at the dealer today with, among other things, 12v battery issues, and they suggested that this could occur if the 12v battery is low. But it was even lower this morning and the door buttons worked fine.

I have never felt so much like a beta tester with any new car as I do with this one.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had this issue once and only once.
It happened to be that I had my wallet and keys in the same pocket. Keys were closer to my body than wallet. There must've been some sort of interference / signal blocking from my wallet. No issues now since I keep these separate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts