Hyundai Kona Forum banner
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I also have a Kona but its a 2019, recently i could hear the engine making a funny noise and when i checked my oil it was way below the low mark on the dip stick. I was curious to know if this is a normal problem with these cars, as i also have a steering problem where the steering wheel is grinding and have been told it needs a new steering arm and this is becoming a common fault right across Hyundai, specially with the Kona's. My car has only just clicked over 40,000kms.
Hi,
I also have a Kona but its a 2019, recently i could hear the engine making a funny noise and when i checked my oil it was way below the low mark on the dip stick. I was curious to know if this is a normal problem with these cars, as i also have a steering problem where the steering wheel is grinding and have been told it needs a new steering arm and this is becoming a common fault right across Hyundai, specially with the Kona's. My car has only just clicked over 40,000kms.
Hi,
Hi, We have a 2020 Kona barely one year old. Engine sounded like a truck from day one, loses 1 litre of oil every 1,000 km. We just returned from dealer and after a quick inspection, they are making a request to Hyundai Canada to replace the “short block” on the engine. Apparently it is a common issue, but not common enough for a recall.
I suggest you go to your dealer immediately. They will insist on an “oil consumption” test (return every 1000 km for them to check oil level). We did not have to do that because I already had proof (photos every week of dip stick and mileage). KEEP FIGHTING FOR THEM TO FIX THIS. Once warranty expires, you will be out of luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone else had problems with their oil burning fast? I have a 2020 with about 20,000 miles on it and it's burnt up all of the oil my last 2 oil changes and I'm positive it isn't due to a bad oil change. They are making me go through the oil test where I go back every 1,000 miles and today was my first time going back for the first 1,000 miles and they said that it was down a quart and that that's considered normal. But I've had other people tell me that that is burning too fast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone else had problems with their oil burning fast? I have a 2020 with about 20,000 miles on it and it's burnt up all of the oil my last 2 oil changes and I'm positive it isn't due to a bad oil change. They are making me go through the oil test where I go back every 1,000 miles and today was my first time going back for the first 1,000 miles and they said that it was down a quart and that that's considered normal. But I've had other people tell me that that is burning too fast.
My Kona is currently in the shop it went through 3.5 quarts of oil in 4,000 miles. I now have to do the oil consumption test. I only have 12,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My cars been in the shop for 3 weeks. They have not said one way or another on what they are going to do. One more week and the lawyers are going to get involved

·
Registered
3 Posts
My cars been in the shop for 3 weeks. They have not said one way or another on what they are going to do. One more week and the lawyers are going to get involved
If you have even experiencing knocking and oil loss, then probably same issue as mine. Apparently Hyundai will be issuing recalls this month

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes. My daughter has a 2020 Kona and it was down 2qts. after driving it for 4months, and then again same thing this month! Not normal!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have a 2020 Kona SEL 12000 miles. Last oil change 2 months ago or 4000 miles. I too noticed the engine getting noisy, checkEd oil 2 quarts low WTF ? No warning lights or nothing. This car will tell you what time to take a ****, yet doesn’t know its run out of oil. I am waiting for a call from the dealer.
Same exact thing happened to my daughter! No check engine either!! And the dealer she bought it from sold and no longer sells Hyundai!

·
Registered
2020 Kona sel chalk white
6 Posts
Dealer just called, Getting new motor and loaner Finally !!
Hi I’m glad your getting the new motor!! There is a recall for the piston rings that contributes to oil consumption and engine noise and I believe they will be sending out mail to all of us that are Kona owners. I hope we’re all lucky and get our engines replaced if they need to be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ive recently been experiencing problems with my engine. I have a 2015 Hyundai Sonata (140,000 miles) In June my car just lost power and wouldn’t accelerate or switch gears. Took it in to the dealership and they said it just needed it’s software update, but they noticed my oil was really low. So we agreed to do a oil consumption test. So in 2 weeks I drove the 1000 miles they asked me to drive and when I brung it back they said the oil was low again. And that the mechanic had put 5 qts of oil. They told me the next step is to get a combustion chamber cleaning (will take a week to complete, also cost $500). If that doesn’t help then I will need a new engine but Hyundai will not cover it. I’ve been on the phone with customer service because of the settlement saying I receive a lifetime warranty on the engine. But she told me it doesn’t fall under the warranty because it’s no damage to the bearings or rods and stuff. I’m thinking there has to be damage somewhere to blow through 5qts in 1k miles. Any idea on what I should do next? Because I don’t wanna pay for this cleaning just to be told I need to pay for a new engine.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Wait, a mechanic said he put 5 qts of oil in on their oil consumption test? Do you have that in writing on the job ticket?

·
Registered
18 Posts
After 3 months, I got a Brand New engine. Unfortunately, it's the same engine with the same rings. I have to keep an eye on the oil level and bring it back to the dealership when the Hyundai engineers find a solution for the piston ring problem. Recall# 203. They also used mobile 1 5w 30. Drove 60 miles home through Ozark mountains 98 degrees with no problem. It is quiet. Don't know at this point if I'll keep it or get rid of it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Everyone should look at Consumer Reports issue (July) on this issue: Some Newer Cars Can Burn Lots of Oil
New cars should not be burning oil. In many instances the manufacturer has come up with some solutions. take a look, you may need to have a subscription. People are not used to checking their oil every month so they rely on the idiot light. The idiot light doesn't illuminate until its often times too late.
I know that all manufacturers have these problems, but the more I see about Hyundai/Kia having engine issues, transmission, etc problems I wish i had spent the few extra bucks on a Honda/Toyota. I don't have any issues with my 2019 SEL at all, but i don't have much confidence anymore in these products. I really love my Kona, but must admit to beginning to look to trade it in for a Prius. I'm thinking that $3.20 gallon is not going to fall anytime soon, and i don't need an SUV since I'm single. 52 mpg is a powerful inducement. I don't know. Maybe I will hold on till 2029 and take my chances.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I just had my 4th oil consumption test on my Kona. I have 15,000 miles on it. It is using 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart every 1,000 miles. Dealer submitted request to Hyundai for a new engine.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona
1 Posts
Hi everyone! Not sure if I love my Kona anymore and here's why (sorry to be long winded): I bought my 2020 Kona in February with 4K miles on it. At 6K miles (April 29) I brought it in for the usual oil change with synthetic oil. Until then I had no problems and loved my car. About 3 weeks ago I noticed my car was starting to run sluggishly. When I slowed down and sped up again, the engine would just rev and not move, leading me to believe I might have a Transmission or Torque problem (I also work in the auto parts industry). Then one day as I was driving to work and speeding up after slowing down, the car's engine just reved up, all the lights on my dashboard came on and the car automatically went into neutral (or limp home mode as mechanics call it). I called my usual shop and they could not get me in for another 2 weeks so I called a shop, near my house (Gurnee Hyundai) and was able to get an appointment the next morning at 7:00 AM (9/1/21). I brought it in, told them what was wrong, along with reminding them about the recall, and was then shuttled home (I also am a single woman with no other car). There I sat for 2 days with no calls back. I then called and they told me they couldn't get to it but will let me know. I asked if they could give me a loaner or rent me a car and they said "No," not until the car is diagnosed and then Hyundai would have to approve it. So, I had to rent a car over Labor Day weekend (not cheap) and went back there and wanted to know what was going on. Again, I was told they are hoping to get to it tomorrow (why make an appointment if you can't get to my car for 9 days???). After calling several more times, I finally got an answer. They proceeded to tell me it was my fault that I let the oil run down to 1 quart, so they had to flush my engine, put new oil in and charged me $217. At this point, I'm very angry!!! I proceeded to let them know that they are totally full of ****. First, no oil pressure light ever came on, Second, I just had an oil change a few months ago so where did the oil go (no drips in my garage or at my work), Third, did they even check the recall like I asked? If they did, they would have realized the oil piston problem and should have fixed it. Bottom line, all in all, I basically paid almost $720 for a Fu#@$%& oil change. I've already made an appointment at another dealer, called Hyundai and opened up a case, and also contacted NHTSA. Now I just have to drive the car until my appointment and hope it doesn't die at an inappropriate time or even worse, catch on fire. It's an unfortunate issue, I will never bring my car back to Gurnee Hyundai and am just hoping to get this resolved so I can go back to loving my car.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts