Hyundai Kona Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree!! I had to put a quart and a half of oil in my car today on a 600 mile trip from the Indianapolis area to Omaha and almost didn't make it to a gas station 500 miles into the trip as my car wouldn't accelerate on the highway. I called the dealership I have been taking it to and told them that I need them to look at it again and they told me that they have come up with a new test for cars experiencing these problems which is frustrating because I don't live near a Hyundai dealership and it was already a hassle to plan out how far I was driving so I could take it for the first test they put me through within the 1,000 mile frame. And if they are making me go through another new test, they obviously know these cars are having problems. It's so frustrating because no matter what I do or say, they just brush me off. I just thought that after my dad and I bought 2 brand new cars in one day from them, they would want to make things right.
They honestly don’t care about their customers it seems. Who knew a company would be so content to sell us lemons.I really hope you find a solution!

·
Registered
19 Posts
have 2020 sel+ in jan. lost 2qts of oil. went to dealer , found timming chain cover seal bad .replaced seal was fine for two months now i'm losing oil again. going back to dealer on the 28th. also reported this to hyundai and got case no. also loud clicking noise from engine.
omg my whole engine does that too!It rattles and shakes. It’s humiliating driving it at times.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was pissed as **** when this happened to me. But, it’s Hyundai corporate policy to run 3 oil consumption tests. It verifies the problem and prevents untrustworthy soles from coming in and saying hey, I need a new engine. I only had to do 2 tests, each test my oil level was below the lowest point on the dip stick after 800 or so miles. Though I was angry, they have been decent to work with. I have a loaner and should have my Kona back in a few weeks with a new engine. Hyundai has a good warranty and there is no reason they should not replace your engine. Be patient and just go through with the tests.
But what if we are being told 1,000 miles per quart of oil is normal? Patience won’t help sadly if they are refusing to fix the lemons.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone else had problems with their oil burning fast? I have a 2020 with about 20,000 miles on it and it's burnt up all of the oil my last 2 oil changes and I'm positive it isn't due to a bad oil change. They are making me go through the oil test where I go back every 1,000 miles and today was my first time going back for the first 1,000 miles and they said that it was down a quart and that that's considered normal. But I've had other people tell me that that is burning too fast.
have 2020 using oil also .putting something ing oil, then i have to drive 1000miles bring it back.
Has anyone else had problems with their oil burning fast? I have a 2020 with about 20,000 miles on it and it's burnt up all of the oil my last 2 oil changes and I'm positive it isn't due to a bad oil change. They are making me go through the oil test where I go back every 1,000 miles and today was my first time going back for the first 1,000 miles and they said that it was down a quart and that that's considered normal. But I've had other people tell me that that is burning too fast.
have 2020 sel twice to dealer still there today got call engine bad ,giving me new one 5,600 miles

·
Registered
2 Posts
I made a post about 4 months ago about my oil running low incredibly fast and I received some responses about going to a dealer. Since then, I have done that and passed an oil consumption test and the dealership sent me on my way but I am still running low rapidly. I've called Hyundai and they've been no help but I see that people are getting new engines put in their cars. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do to get my dealership to listen to me? It's frustrating that every 500 miles I am putting a quart of oil in my car. Any help would be appreciated!
I had to call Hyundai corporate and open a case. I also had it towed to a different dealership that would do the diagnostic and submit the paperwork to the corporate warranty. After 7 weeks I have a new engine and a new battery.
The owners manual does state to change oil every 3K miles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had to call Hyundai corporate and open a case. I also had it towed to a different dealership that would do the diagnostic and submit the paperwork to the corporate warranty. After 7 weeks I have a new engine and a new battery.
The owners manual does state to change oil every 3K miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just finished first leg of oil consumption test 1/2 quart low in 1000 miles along with loud clicking noise. My kona sounds like a diesel. Run in into the ground and hit the red button on your mirror and have them come and get it

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
If the clicking noise sound like valve lifters, that means piston and or bearing debris slurry has made it's way to the lifters and passed the oil filter through filter by-pass on cold starts. This oil by-pass happens quickly when in up north states in the US and Canada during the winter temps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If the clicking noise sound like valve lifters, that means piston and or bearing debris slurry has made it's way to the lifters and passed the oil filter through filter by-pass on cold starts. This oil by-pass happens quickly when in up north states in the US and Canada during the winter temps.
f that's the case, do you think I'll get 2k miles out of this engine before it quits ?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
f that's the case, do you think I'll get 2k miles out of this engine before it quits ?
I couldn't tell you how long it will last, but it WILL be warranted.

My wife had a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT 1.8 that had the "Hyundai Tick of Death" at 14,000 miles running Mobil1 and I received a new motor. It came back slow as heck and I wait for 5,000 miles knowing they would say it is a tight new motor, but I could no long live with how slow it was so I traded it in for a new Kona Limited AWD 1.6T. The Elanta GT was still slow a a dog and of course they said "nothing is wrong".

I owned a hobby Audi repair shop and was going to be an auto machinist, but went a different route, so I have a clue what's going on with cars. They tried to void my warranty because I had a Fram Ultra oil filter on and I said BS, I am protected by the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act that states I can run any oil filter I want as long as it is the manufacture stated # for that car. I never heard another word from them about it, and I received a new motor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the info. The service advisor mentioned that the filter I had on was too small. Whatever that means ? I pushed him on that and he ended up saying that the dealer would never use that type of filter. I am not going to settle for anything less than a new motor. I like the car, but am disappointed in the problem with this motor. We live 56 miles from the dealer and this eats up 3 hours everytime I have to go up there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I couldn't tell you how long it will last, but it WILL be warranted.

My wife had a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT 1.8 that had the "Hyundai Tick of Death" at 14,000 miles running Mobil1 and I received a new motor. It came back slow as heck and I wait for 5,000 miles knowing they would say it is a tight new motor, but I could no long live with how slow it was so I traded it in for a new Kona Limited AWD 1.6T. The Elanta GT was still slow a a dog and of course they said "nothing is wrong".

I owned a hobby Audi repair shop and was going to be an auto machinist, but went a different route, so I have a clue what's going on with cars. They tried to void my warranty because I had a Fram Ultra oil filter on and I said BS, I am protected by the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act that states I can run any oil filter I want as long as it is the manufacture stated # for that car. I never heard another word from them about it, and I received a new motor.
Thanks for the info. The service advisor mentioned that the filter I had on was too small. Whatever that means ? I pushed him on that and he ended up saying that the dealer would never use that type of filter. I am not going to settle for anything less than a new motor. I like the car, but am disappointed in the problem with this motor. We live 56 miles from the dealer and this eats up 3 hours everytime I have to go up there.

·
Registered
2019 SE sonic silver
78 Posts
No they haven't!! I supposedly passed the oil consumption test and they said "Hyundai considers it to be normal" to burn a quart of oil every 1,000 miles or so but I have had to put oil in my car and almost haven't made it to gas stations in time because my car was struggling to accelerate. My dad has a Sonata and he NEVER has these problems so I'm curious why if it's so normal why his car isn't doing this? I've called Hyundai and they gave me a case number and have yet to call me back 2 months later, even after calling them to check up on it! I hope you get your problem solved! :) very frustrating!!!
Hyundai have issued a recall. Letters going out June 25th.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Recall 203 :
21V301000
:
HYUNDAI IS INITIATING A NEW RECALL CAMPAIGN 203, A SAFETY RECALL TO ADDRESS A CONDITION INVOLVING ENGINE FAILURES RESULTING IN A VEHICLE STALL & OR FIRE IN CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2019-2020 HYUNDAI ELANTRA, 2019-2021 HYUNDAI KONA, AND 2019-2021 HYUNDAI VELOSTER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 2.0- LITER "NU" MPI ENGINES AND PRODUCED FOR SALE IN THE U.S. AND CANADA. HYUNDAI IS INITIATING THIS ACTION TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF ITS VEHICLES.
:
THE ENGINES IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES MAY HAVE BEEN ASSEMBLED USING PISTON OIL RINGS THAT WERE PRODUCED WITH INCONSISTENT NITRIDE HEAT TREATING BY THE PISTON OIL RING SUPPLIER RESULTING IN EXCESSIVE OIL RING HARDNESS. EXCESSIVE HARNESES CAN CAUSE CHIPPING OF THE PISTON OIL RING'S OUTER PERIPHERY, WHICH COULD LEAD TO ABNORMAL SCURFFING OF THE ENGINE'S CYLINDER BORE. A DAMAGED CYLINDER BORE COULD CREATE ACCELERATED OIL CONSUMPTION, WHICH MAY THEN CAUSE ABNORMAL KNOCKING NOISE FROM THE ENGINE AND/OR ILLUMINATION OF THE OIL PRESSURE WARNING LIGHT. CONTINUAL OPERATION OF THE VEHICLE IN THIS CONDITION COULD RESULT IN A SEIZED CONNECTING ROD BEARING, WHICH COULD CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE ENGINE BLOCK AND EVENTUALLY STALL THE VEHICLE. IN LIMITED INSTANCES, A CONNECTING ROD COULD PUNCTURE THE ENGINE BLOCK AND CAUSE ENGINE OIL TO LEAK, WHICH, IN THE PRESENCE OF HOT SURFACES, COULD INCREASE THERISK OF A FIRE. GIVEN THE NATURE OF THE PROBLEM, IT IS SAFE FOR CUSTOMERS TO CONTINUE PARKING INDOORS. THERE IS NO RISK FOR A FIRE WHILE THE VEHICLE IS OFF. OWNERS SHOULD PRIORITZE GETTING THE RECALL COMPLETED ONCE THEY ARE NOTIFIED.
:
REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE
:
Recall Incomplete
:
Apr 28, 2021

·
Registered
19 Posts
have 2020 using oil also .putting something ing oil, then i have to drive 1000miles bring it back.

have 2020 sel twice to dealer still there today got call engine bad ,giving me new one 5,600 miles
I’m getting a new one as well! Does anyone know the process for that or how it works exactly?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I also have a Kona but its a 2019, recently i could hear the engine making a funny noise and when i checked my oil it was way below the low mark on the dip stick. I was curious to know if this is a normal problem with these cars, as i also have a steering problem where the steering wheel is grinding and have been told it needs a new steering arm and this is becoming a common fault right across Hyundai, specially with the Kona's. My car has only just clicked over 40,000kms.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts