Hyundai Kona Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone else had problems with their oil burning fast? I have a 2020 with about 20,000 miles on it and it's burnt up all of the oil my last 2 oil changes and I'm positive it isn't due to a bad oil change. They are making me go through the oil test where I go back every 1,000 miles and today was my first time going back for the first 1,000 miles and they said that it was down a quart and that that's considered normal. But I've had other people tell me that that is burning too fast.
Greetings

I'm going to guess you have the 2.0 motor in a se/sel trim.
There seems to be a pattern developing with some of the 2020 2.0's.

Good luck, welcome to the forum and check you oil at least once a week.
If it gets down to the low mark go to your dealer so they can document that they are adding oil.
Please don't let the oil level drop below the add mark.
Thanks For the information, I am also having the same issue with my 2020 kona. It has been in twice for the oil issues. One more and I am headed to a lawyer office

·
Registered
2021 Kona Limited
30 Posts
Couple of things I have learned on the Hyundai 2.0L GDI engine, the 2.4L GDI engine, and the 1.8L MPI engine. All three used oil when running full synthetic Valvoline 5W20. Not as bad as some of those mentioned above, but all in the 1qt to 1500 mile range. And all three improved dramatically when I switched to the same full synthetic Valvoline, but in the 5W30 weight. More like 1qt in 3000 to 4000 miles.

And this isn't just a Hyundai engine issue, seen it as far back as the late 60's when some new Chevy 350's were burning a quart in 500 miles and Chevy called it "acceptable". Failure analysis showed rings were not seating. Also have seen it on various brands, domestic and foreign.

I have been working on engines for over 50 years and the biggest mistake I see these days is folks not checking their oil levels between changes. And a lot of folks think the 7500 mile OCI applies to them when their driving habits say otherwise. Easy rule of thumb; while that gas pump is filling your tank, pop the hood and check the oil level. Not saying it will prevent all the problems in every engine, but worst case you will see the consumption issue before the pan goes dry and leaves you on the side of the road waiting for a tow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone else had problems with their oil burning fast? I have a 2020 with about 20,000 miles on it and it's burnt up all of the oil my last 2 oil changes and I'm positive it isn't due to a bad oil change. They are making me go through the oil test where I go back every 1,000 miles and today was my first time going back for the first 1,000 miles and they said that it was down a quart and that that's considered normal. But I've had other people tell me that that is burning too fast.
I have the same thing, also goung tjroygh rhe oil consumptation test. Only at 18000. I will let you know how that goes. But i am already looking into a lawyer. Because it is not normal!

·
Registered
2021 Kona Limited
30 Posts
I have the same thing, also goung tjroygh rhe oil consumptation test. Only at 18000. I will let you know how that goes. But i am already looking into a lawyer. Because it is not normal!
Why not first allow the manufacturer to analyze the issue and correct the failure?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, now I’m terrified. Haha. This has been a frustrating experience. This is my very first car and I bought it brand new hoping I would get to avoid nonsense like this. :-(

Any shot in getting Hyundai to buy this back from me?
I will be taking it in tomorrow first thing! They will let me know what’s up. If I get a new motor, how long will that take?! I heard someone say it took months. How on earth would I get to work? :-(

Lawyer up
Why not first allow the manufacturer to analyze the issue and correct the failure?
I am going to give the manufacturer time to analyze the problem. They are doing an oil consumption test on it. I really hope they can fix the problem i really do like the kona other wise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2020 kona had 4600 mile ran out of oil they want me to do oil consumption test refused to drive it like that ther warranty don't wort noting they end up buying the car back from me and took myself to Toyota.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts