Hyundai Kona Forum banner
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone else had problems with their oil burning fast? I have a 2020 with about 20,000 miles on it and it's burnt up all of the oil my last 2 oil changes and I'm positive it isn't due to a bad oil change. They are making me go through the oil test where I go back every 1,000 miles and today was my first time going back for the first 1,000 miles and they said that it was down a quart and that that's considered normal. But I've had other people tell me that that is burning too fast.
Greetings

I'm going to guess you have the 2.0 motor in a se/sel trim.
There seems to be a pattern developing with some of the 2020 2.0's.

Good luck, welcome to the forum and check you oil at least once a week.
If it gets down to the low mark go to your dealer so they can document that they are adding oil.
Please don't let the oil level drop below the add mark.
Thanks For the information, I am also having the same issue with my 2020 kona. It has been in twice for the oil issues. One more and I am headed to a lawyer office

·
Registered
2021 Kona Limited
30 Posts
Couple of things I have learned on the Hyundai 2.0L GDI engine, the 2.4L GDI engine, and the 1.8L MPI engine. All three used oil when running full synthetic Valvoline 5W20. Not as bad as some of those mentioned above, but all in the 1qt to 1500 mile range. And all three improved dramatically when I switched to the same full synthetic Valvoline, but in the 5W30 weight. More like 1qt in 3000 to 4000 miles.

And this isn't just a Hyundai engine issue, seen it as far back as the late 60's when some new Chevy 350's were burning a quart in 500 miles and Chevy called it "acceptable". Failure analysis showed rings were not seating. Also have seen it on various brands, domestic and foreign.

I have been working on engines for over 50 years and the biggest mistake I see these days is folks not checking their oil levels between changes. And a lot of folks think the 7500 mile OCI applies to them when their driving habits say otherwise. Easy rule of thumb; while that gas pump is filling your tank, pop the hood and check the oil level. Not saying it will prevent all the problems in every engine, but worst case you will see the consumption issue before the pan goes dry and leaves you on the side of the road waiting for a tow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone else had problems with their oil burning fast? I have a 2020 with about 20,000 miles on it and it's burnt up all of the oil my last 2 oil changes and I'm positive it isn't due to a bad oil change. They are making me go through the oil test where I go back every 1,000 miles and today was my first time going back for the first 1,000 miles and they said that it was down a quart and that that's considered normal. But I've had other people tell me that that is burning too fast.
I have the same thing, also goung tjroygh rhe oil consumptation test. Only at 18000. I will let you know how that goes. But i am already looking into a lawyer. Because it is not normal!

·
Registered
2021 Kona Limited
30 Posts
I have the same thing, also goung tjroygh rhe oil consumptation test. Only at 18000. I will let you know how that goes. But i am already looking into a lawyer. Because it is not normal!
Why not first allow the manufacturer to analyze the issue and correct the failure?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, now I’m terrified. Haha. This has been a frustrating experience. This is my very first car and I bought it brand new hoping I would get to avoid nonsense like this. :-(

Any shot in getting Hyundai to buy this back from me?
I will be taking it in tomorrow first thing! They will let me know what’s up. If I get a new motor, how long will that take?! I heard someone say it took months. How on earth would I get to work? :-(

Lawyer up
Why not first allow the manufacturer to analyze the issue and correct the failure?
I am going to give the manufacturer time to analyze the problem. They are doing an oil consumption test on it. I really hope they can fix the problem i really do like the kona other wise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2020 kona had 4600 mile ran out of oil they want me to do oil consumption test refused to drive it like that ther warranty don't wort noting they end up buying the car back from me and took myself to Toyota.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Ally did Hyundai get a new engine? I went to the dealer and they put me on the oil consumption test also? One low in a 1000 miles is not normal. Don’t let them roll you
No they haven't!! I supposedly passed the oil consumption test and they said "Hyundai considers it to be normal" to burn a quart of oil every 1,000 miles or so but I have had to put oil in my car and almost haven't made it to gas stations in time because my car was struggling to accelerate. My dad has a Sonata and he NEVER has these problems so I'm curious why if it's so normal why his car isn't doing this? I've called Hyundai and they gave me a case number and have yet to call me back 2 months later, even after calling them to check up on it! I hope you get your problem solved! :) very frustrating!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I made a post about 4 months ago about my oil running low incredibly fast and I received some responses about going to a dealer. Since then, I have done that and passed an oil consumption test and the dealership sent me on my way but I am still running low rapidly. I've called Hyundai and they've been no help but I see that people are getting new engines put in their cars. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do to get my dealership to listen to me? It's frustrating that every 500 miles I am putting a quart of oil in my car. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I made a post about 4 months ago about my oil running low incredibly fast and I received some responses about going to a dealer. Since then, I have done that and passed an oil consumption test and the dealership sent me on my way but I am still running low rapidly. I've called Hyundai and they've been no help but I see that people are getting new engines put in their cars. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do to get my dealership to listen to me? It's frustrating that every 500 miles I am putting a quart of oil in my car. Any help would be appreciated!
Interesting
There appeares to to be 2 popular internet theories about Hyundai's 2.0 HIGH oil consumption problem.

Bad crank shaft bearings! Your success with keeping you motor from destroying itself by making sure it always has plenty of oil is good evidence that the other theory,

Failed PCV valve may be the culprit.
I wonder if any 2.0 motors have had an emission test? Running a qt of oil through the catalytic converte every 1k miles should be a lot more than it can handle!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did they ever replace your engine for you? I am having to jump through hoops to get Hyundai to fix this. I am shocked by their customer service. I had always heard such nice things!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I see the answer to my earlier question. My mechanic said that Hyundai considers burning 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles to be an engine failure. I am SHOCKED they are treating you so poorly.

No they haven't!! I supposedly passed the oil consumption test and they said "Hyundai considers it to be normal" to burn a quart of oil every 1,000 miles or so but I have had to put oil in my car and almost haven't made it to gas stations in time because my car was struggling to accelerate. My dad has a Sonata and he NEVER has these problems so I'm curious why if it's so normal why his car isn't doing this? I've called Hyundai and they gave me a case number and have yet to call me back 2 months later, even after calling them to check up on it! I hope you get your problem solved! :) very frustrating!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
@Ally12. 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles is not normal. We are being sold lemons!

Greeting

50 yrs ago "new" cars didn't use a qt of oil in 1000 miles :mad:

You just have to play the game, be firm and make sure they understand that your not going away. Get them to escalate it, after all as of today the motor is now their's!
Good look and keep us updated

Here are a couple of people who have the same problem, evidently it's a 2020 SE/SEL 2.0 thing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
how are you checking the oil level?
Just drove from east coast to Arizona oil level looks the looks the same on my 1.6t

Notable it’s the dodge world motor oil consumption that was traced to the deceleration tune and low ring compression ( fuel economy)
Caused high crank vacuum leading to oil consumption
Fix is an updated pcm flash

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I see the answer to my earlier question. My mechanic said that Hyundai considers burning 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles to be an engine failure. I am SHOCKED they are treating you so poorly.
I agree!! I had to put a quart and a half of oil in my car today on a 600 mile trip from the Indianapolis area to Omaha and almost didn't make it to a gas station 500 miles into the trip as my car wouldn't accelerate on the highway. I called the dealership I have been taking it to and told them that I need them to look at it again and they told me that they have come up with a new test for cars experiencing these problems which is frustrating because I don't live near a Hyundai dealership and it was already a hassle to plan out how far I was driving so I could take it for the first test they put me through within the 1,000 mile frame. And if they are making me go through another new test, they obviously know these cars are having problems. It's so frustrating because no matter what I do or say, they just brush me off. I just thought that after my dad and I bought 2 brand new cars in one day from them, they would want to make things right.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree!! I had to put a quart and a half of oil in my car today on a 600 mile trip from the Indianapolis area to Omaha and almost didn't make it to a gas station 500 miles into the trip as my car wouldn't accelerate on the highway. I called the dealership I have been taking it to and told them that I need them to look at it again and they told me that they have come up with a new test for cars experiencing these problems which is frustrating because I don't live near a Hyundai dealership and it was already a hassle to plan out how far I was driving so I could take it for the first test they put me through within the 1,000 mile frame. And if they are making me go through another new test, they obviously know these cars are having problems. It's so frustrating because no matter what I do or say, they just brush me off. I just thought that after my dad and I bought 2 brand new cars in one day from them, they would want to make things right.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was pissed as **** when this happened to me. But, it’s Hyundai corporate policy to run 3 oil consumption tests. It verifies the problem and prevents untrustworthy soles from coming in and saying hey, I need a new engine. I only had to do 2 tests, each test my oil level was below the lowest point on the dip stick after 800 or so miles. Though I was angry, they have been decent to work with. I have a loaner and should have my Kona back in a few weeks with a new engine. Hyundai has a good warranty and there is no reason they should not replace your engine. Be patient and just go through with the tests.

·
Registered
8 Posts
have 2020 sel+ in jan. lost 2qts of oil. went to dealer , found timming chain cover seal bad .replaced seal was fine for two months now i'm losing oil again. going back to dealer on the 28th. also reported this to hyundai and got case no. also loud clicking noise from engine.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts