Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes - my Kona MY20 burnt 100% of its oil in a week (after doing our routine oil/water check), resulted in engine failure - never had a diagnosis from repairer to date until recently and told it was a "minor fault" with a piston ring fault requiring entire engine replacement .... still waiting to get my car back and further advice

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have a 2020 Kona SEL 12000 miles. Last oil change 2 months ago or 4000 miles. I too noticed the engine getting noisy, checkEd oil 2 quarts low WTF ? No warning lights or nothing. This car will tell you what time to take a ****, yet doesn’t know its run out of oil. I am waiting for a call from the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone else had problems with their oil burning fast? I have a 2020 with about 20,000 miles on it and it's burnt up all of the oil my last 2 oil changes and I'm positive it isn't due to a bad oil change. They are making me go through the oil test where I go back every 1,000 miles and today was my first time going back for the first 1,000 miles and they said that it was down a quart and that that's considered normal. But I've had other people tell me that that is burning too fast.
I have same problem of my 2021 kona sel. Just leased last October 2020 and it runs 7080 miles after the second oil change, it did not even reach the next oil change mileage that is 8200 miles. Was been stalled once and hear a knocking sound of the engine when started it again. Upon reaching home, checked the oil level and seen that it was almost dry. As in dried out. Called the dealership to schedule for service this Friday, and for the meantime i put 3 quarts of oil for I have no other car to use for work and to pick up my kid from school. Feeling sad on this issue, which I know is not normal. Have a great day everyone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey!

I have been having crazy issues with my Kona as well. I bought it in June 2020 and went on a 7,000 mile road trip later that summer and had zero problems with it. Had an oil change upon coming back and at around 11,000 miles it started sounding like a diesel. Went to get it checked out and it was missing 3 quarts of oil! Was it the dealer? Was it burning oil?

The car never sounded right after that but only I was able to notice because I know my car’s sound well. Got another oil change and suddenly it sounds great! For a while. Now it’s at 17,000 miles and it makes horrible sounds at low speeds and upon braking AND it decided it wanted to shut down while driving...

No clue what to do.

Has anyone else had problems with their oil burning fast? I have a 2020 with about 20,000 miles on it and it's burnt up all of the oil my last 2 oil changes and I'm positive it isn't due to a bad oil change. They are making me go through the oil test where I go back every 1,000 miles and today was my first time going back for the first 1,000 miles and they said that it was down a quart and that that's considered normal. But I've had other people tell me that that is burning too fast.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well, now I’m terrified. Haha. This has been a frustrating experience. This is my very first car and I bought it brand new hoping I would get to avoid nonsense like this. :-(

Any shot in getting Hyundai to buy this back from me?
Have you checked the oil?

Lots of SE/SEL 2.0 loss of oil problems.
If you have the 2.0 you'll get a new motor this time.

"Have you checked the oil?"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you checked the oil?

Lots of SE/SEL 2.0 loss of oil problems.
If you have the 2.0 you'll get a new motor this time.

"Have you checked the oil?"
I will be taking it in tomorrow first thing! They will let me know what’s up. If I get a new motor, how long will that take?! I heard someone say it took months. How on earth would I get to work? :-(

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
They provide a loner car from the Hyundai fleet or a car rental company.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's unfortunate that this is happening to you guys. Seems like oil is burning faster because it's sucking through the pcv valve connected to intake..so...the solution is delete it but....its illegal...carbon Rules really...2nd...what gas you using...use 89.....87 has given me more lag on throttle.....3rd.....do you have a dirty intake filter or dirty intake sensor......4th...clean your fuel injectors....drop a bottle of fuel injector cleaner...if you're burning like a quart or two...drop two bottles in there.....how do I know this? Let's just say I've done a lot of engine breakdowns. If you are comfortable doing your own oil changes I suggest you do that...we don't know what type of oil dealers are using, not saying they are doing anything bad but if your warranty of free oil changes are up that's something I highly advise..best oil to use...and you'll be surprised is Amazon oil it's one of the best grades out there. Far better than your brands out there. Well I didn't want to post but I got time right now. Well good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, took mine to local Hyundai, told be it was normal. Drove it to Brisbane 2 weeks later, used oil again, took to hyundai there needed a new small engine! 2.5 months later just got new car
Hello Mel. My new Kona is now in the workshop receiving a new bottom engine due to no oil in my car . Friends said I should have been given a new car seeing that it was only 5 months old or atleast a while new engine. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Mel. My new Kona is now in the workshop receiving a new bottom engine due to no oil in my car . Friends said I should have been given a new car seeing that it was only 5 months old or atleast a while new engine. Any suggestions?
Same problem here. Bought my 2021 in September. I noticed a few weird acceleration things but I thought it was normal for this car since I'd driven a Subaru forever prior to this. Anyway my son had a minor fender bender with the Kona in February. While at the body shop the guys there noticed there was almost no oil in my car. They sent it over to the dealership and after 2 weeks there I finally just got a call this morning that the engine is defective and they are going to replace it.

·
Registered
2019 SE sonic silver
76 Posts
I just recently noticed what I think is unusual oil consumption for my daughters 2019 Kona SEL. We bought it brand new for her. As of now it only has 14,400 miles on it. She drives it to go to college and her longest trips are about 300 miles one way when she comes home to visit. I make a point to check all the fluids with with my daughter every time she visits and we've noticed that every time we do check it, the oil is about one half quart low.

We've noticed no other problems and no unusual noises that would indicate bad valves, lifters, pistons, etc...so I will be keeping my eyes on the oil consumption from here on out.
I would take it to the dealership and have them waste their time with the oil consumption test, because, in the end, you'll be getting a new engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Took it to the dealership, they have to do oil consumption test first, hyundai service process then repair/replace and not add any oil. Just gonna drive the piss out of it and see what happens

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ally did Hyundai get a new engine? I went to the dealer and they put me on the oil consumption test also? One low in a 1000 miles is not normal. Don’t let them roll you

21 - 40 of 47 Posts