Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had problems with their oil burning fast? I have a 2020 with about 20,000 miles on it and it's burnt up all of the oil my last 2 oil changes and I'm positive it isn't due to a bad oil change. They are making me go through the oil test where I go back every 1,000 miles and today was my first time going back for the first 1,000 miles and they said that it was down a quart and that that's considered normal. But I've had other people tell me that that is burning too fast.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Greeting

50 yrs ago "new" cars didn't use a qt of oil in 1000 miles :mad:

You just have to play the game, be firm and make sure they understand that your not going away. Get them to escalate it, after all as of today the motor is now their's!
Good look and keep us updated

Here are a couple of people who have the same problem, evidently it's a 2020 SE/SEL 2.0 thing.

Hi-
New to the forum, with a weird engine problem.
I got my Kona in March of '20, and love it! Everything has been fine, regular service at dealer- until 2 weeks ago, when I realized that the engine was quite noisy on the way from work. No "dummy" light activation, but the distinct clatter of valves. I checked the oil after letting it sit all night at home, and it was barely touching the tip of the stick! Not what I expected for a car with just over 6k miles on it!
I immediately called the dealer and before taking it up, added 2 full qts of oil, to be safe.
They did an oil change and started an oil consumption test on the vehicle, having me drive normally and check levels each week. 1st week, and all looks good. I live in DC and drive 2 miles r/t to work, so decided to take a little drive to an antique mall in Gettysburg PA. All fine on the way up, but shortly after heading home, an "engine system failure " message appeared on the media screen, and the dummy light lit on the instrument cluster.
I pulled over immediately and used the Blue Link to contact the dealer. Drove it straight there, and it was diagnosed with a PC valve failure.
I went to dealer today to pick up the repaired vehicle, and immediately noticed a loud ticking noise coming the engine after starting up.
Went back to service writer, and he and the mechanic came out and took a listen. Left the car at dealer again, after mechanic thought the problem was caused by a "slapping piston" due to a possible defective cylinder, which could have accounted for the oil loss.
They called me later in the day to confirm that diagnosis, and tell me they were going to replace the "bottom part" (block?) of the engine.
I hope this doesn't foretell of cascading issues afterwards, but we'll have to wait and see.
In the meantime, at least they gave me a brand new Ultimate to drive, lol.
Sorry for the lengthy story, but wondering if others have had an issue like this?
Has anyone else had problems with their oil burning fast? I have a 2020 with about 20,000 miles on it and it's burnt up all of the oil my last 2 oil changes and I'm positive it isn't due to a bad oil change. They are making me go through the oil test where I go back every 1,000 miles and today was my first time going back for the first 1,000 miles and they said that it was down a quart and that that's considered normal. But I've had other people tell me that that is burning too fast.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I JUST bought a supposedly certified 2019 SEL in November and oil level was dangerously low after driving 500 miles! They’re making me go through the oil consumption test as well. You can see my previous posts on this. I contacted the previous owner and she said she has that problem since she leased the car. So disappointed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just recently noticed what I think is unusual oil consumption for my daughters 2019 Kona SEL. We bought it brand new for her. As of now it only has 14,400 miles on it. She drives it to go to college and her longest trips are about 300 miles one way when she comes home to visit. I make a point to check all the fluids with with my daughter every time she visits and we've noticed that every time we do check it, the oil is about one half quart low.

We've noticed no other problems and no unusual noises that would indicate bad valves, lifters, pistons, etc...so I will be keeping my eyes on the oil consumption from here on out.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good luck folks - I just can't understand how cars with 6000, 10,000, 14000 or 20000 miles could need at least 1 quart of oil between changes - unless maybe you floor them to 7000+ RPM on a daily basis.
"Some people use their cars"... and their engines are failing...Must be a truism in that

·
Registered
4 Posts
Which engine do you have?

·
Super Moderator
1,184 Posts
Did the dealer check the obvious. A common cause of oil consumption is a bad PCV valve. Any smoke or traces of oil in the exhaust ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did the dealer check the obvious. A common cause of oil consumption is a bad PCV valve. Any smoke or traces of oil in the exhaust ?
To my knowledge, no. I know nothing about cars so I just brought it to them and told them what was happening. I dont know if they didn't look for anything else because I didn't push for them to or not. There aren't any signs of anything wrong at a glance from what others have said. I took it back to the place I get my oil change and they were stumped why there was no oil in my car, as well. No one has looked too extensively but I have been told by a lot of people that if it "passes" their oil consumption test, to keep on pushing for more extensive work on it. :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Funny I am going through the same problem. My car was running “loud” so I went to the dealership. At first they told me it was the fuel injectors and it was normal. I took it home and the next day it stalled so back to the dealership I went. They determined there was .75 quarts of oil left. No “dummy” oil light came on or anything. Now I’m doing the consumption test with them. Today I went for my first 1000 mile check up. They had to put 2 quarts of oil in. Now I have to go back in another 1000. Obviously there is an issue. :(

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I would just love to do a test on one of these cars. I would like see if changing to a high performance oil that is an EXPENSIVE oil. It is a shot in the dark, but I have yet to see anyone try a specialty oil and see if cleaning the ring lands on the pistons would help. The key ingredient is part of the base oil, it is called Ester, a high end oil additive that has very high cleaning properties. This oil also has very low NOACK of 6 vs 9 to 14 of other oils. That is how fast the oil evaporates, mostly at high temps. There are just too many 2.0 liter engines that burn oil, even with low miles.

My first thought is a bad PVC valve, then it goes to carboned up piston rings/ring lands, or the rings did not break-in the engines cylinder walls. Modern day engines use weak expanding piston rings, this aids to increase mileage by a small margin. It also can cause oil burning and fuel dilution or the oil. Fuel dilution is more found in turbo cars vs non-turbo cars since the turbo is pushing the fuel air mixture passed the piston rings and into the oil sump.

I suggest this test to someone who has money and is willing to do a Hail Mary test to see if running this oil would clean the rings /ring lands to see if THAT could be the issue. This test is for someone who can change their own oil or have a friend or family member or shop they trust to change the oil correctly. As part of the test you must be a bit aggressive on acceleration then you normally are. After you change the oil and filter you should drive it normally for 50 miles to let the Ester do some cleaning or softening up the carbon and then increase to more agressive driving to create more heat and put pressure on the piston rings. There is a slight chance that your car did not break in correctly because you were to easy on it. You need to break-in the rings to the cylinder wall and driving it aggressively is how you break-in a engine. Many people have a saying "drive it like you stole it". I always say "load the piston rings".

Here is the Redline 5w-30 even though your car might be a suggested 5w-20 car. The 5w-20 oil from this manufacture NOACK is 9 vs the 6 of the 5w-30. Not saying this is a big deal, I just want the best case scenario in the least oil getting "flashed off".

NON-TURBO car, "Kona SEL 2.0 liter) car, buy 6 Qts. Your car takes about 4.5 Qts so you have some more to add if needed. If you need to add more go to walmart and buy Mobil 1 5w-30 if you are burning it up past your extra 1.5 Qts of Redline oil. You can buy it from the manufactures site I posted, as most places don't give much of a price break, and other places don't deliver it fast enough.

TURBO car, "Kona 1.6T" use this oil Buy 6 qts. Your car takes about 4.5 Qts so you have some more to add if needed. If you need to add more go to walmart and buy Mobil 1 5w-30 if you are burning it up past your extra 1.5 Qts of Redline oil. . You can buy it from the manufactures site I posted, as most places don't give much of a price break, and other places don't deliver it fast enough.

Run this oil for 5,000 miles. Then see if you have reduced oil consumption. I does take some time for the Ester to clean, but if my hunch is right you should see a reduction in oil consumption. I suggest then to use Mobil 1 5w-30 after to a max of 7,000 miles NON -Turbo and Turbo car max 5,000 miles.

Again this is a Hail Mary test. I am running their oil that I posted for a turbo car and my 1.6T fuel dilution problem is gone and I think it was my piston rings where pinched with hard carbon and the Ester cleaned the rings that allowed them to conform to the cylinder walls, and in my case sealed fuel from reaching the oil sump. That is just a hypothesis, but my problem is gone, so I am going with that.

·
Registered
2021 Kona Limited
30 Posts
It is a common issue for the 2.0L GDI engine to use oil between changes when using 5w20 in warmer areas (Texas). But a simple change to 5W30 alleviates the issue to a point of ~1/2qt per 4-5K miles. I personally have seen this on several GDI engines and wonder if it has to do with the higher compression ratio as compared to an MPI engine.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Funny I am going through the same problem. My car was running “loud” so I went to the dealership. At first they told me it was the fuel injectors and it was normal. I took it home and the next day it stalled so back to the dealership I went. They determined there was .75 quarts of oil left. No “dummy” oil light came on or anything. Now I’m doing the consumption test with them. Today I went for my first 1000 mile check up. They had to put 2 quarts of oil in. Now I have to go back in another 1000. Obviously there is an issue. :(
Greetings

I'm going to guess you have the 2.0 motor in a se/sel trim.
There seems to be a pattern developing with some of the 2020 2.0's.

Good luck, welcome to the forum and check you oil at least once a week.
If it gets down to the low mark go to your dealer so they can document that they are adding oil.
Please don't let the oil level drop below the add mark.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Greeting

50 yrs ago "new" cars didn't use a qt of oil in 1000 miles :mad:

You just have to play the game, be firm and make sure they understand that your not going away. Get them to escalate it, after all as of today the motor is now their's!
Good look and keep us updated

Here are a couple of people who have the same problem, evidently it's a 2020 SE/SEL 2.0 thing.
Just got my Kona back today, after 2 1/2 months at the dealer, waiting for a new engine to arrive from Korea. I purrs like a kitten now, and drove fine on the way home. Time will tell if the wait was worth it and the problem was solved by a "short block" replacement. Another poster warned that I should have demanded a full replacement, including the valve body ass'y. - I'll have to wait and see if he was right. The car is leased, so they will get it back eventually, anyway, lol!

·
Registered
65 Posts
The oil has to go somewhere. If it is not dripping out, then it is getting burned.

I would have to agree with a "stuck" ring or something like that. Glazed the cylinder? If they replaced it as a "short block" I wonder if that means you got new pistons and they just bolt the head on and they are done. New pistons/rings/etc. would certainly fix what I think is wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone else had problems with their oil burning fast? I have a 2020 with about 20,000 miles on it and it's burnt up all of the oil my last 2 oil changes and I'm positive it isn't due to a bad oil change. They are making me go through the oil test where I go back everyyes 1,000 miles and today was my first time going back for the first 1,000 miles and they said that it was down a quart and that that's considered normal. But I've had other people tell me that that is burning too fast.
Yes, took mine to local Hyundai, told be it was normal. Drove it to Brisbane 2 weeks later, used oil again, took to hyundai there needed a new small engine! 2.5 months later just got new car

1 - 20 of 49 Posts