Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had problems with their oil burning fast? I have a 2020 with about 20,000 miles on it and it's burnt up all of the oil my last 2 oil changes and I'm positive it isn't due to a bad oil change. They are making me go through the oil test where I go back every 1,000 miles and today was my first time going back for the first 1,000 miles and they said that it was down a quart and that that's considered normal. But I've had other people tell me that that is burning too fast.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Greeting

50 yrs ago "new" cars didn't use a qt of oil in 1000 miles :mad:

You just have to play the game, be firm and make sure they understand that your not going away. Get them to escalate it, after all as of today the motor is now their's!
Good look and keep us updated

Here are a couple of people who have the same problem, evidently it's a 2020 SE/SEL 2.0 thing.

Hi-
New to the forum, with a weird engine problem.
I got my Kona in March of '20, and love it! Everything has been fine, regular service at dealer- until 2 weeks ago, when I realized that the engine was quite noisy on the way from work. No "dummy" light activation, but the distinct clatter of valves. I checked the oil after letting it sit all night at home, and it was barely touching the tip of the stick! Not what I expected for a car with just over 6k miles on it!
I immediately called the dealer and before taking it up, added 2 full qts of oil, to be safe.
They did an oil change and started an oil consumption test on the vehicle, having me drive normally and check levels each week. 1st week, and all looks good. I live in DC and drive 2 miles r/t to work, so decided to take a little drive to an antique mall in Gettysburg PA. All fine on the way up, but shortly after heading home, an "engine system failure " message appeared on the media screen, and the dummy light lit on the instrument cluster.
I pulled over immediately and used the Blue Link to contact the dealer. Drove it straight there, and it was diagnosed with a PC valve failure.
I went to dealer today to pick up the repaired vehicle, and immediately noticed a loud ticking noise coming the engine after starting up.
Went back to service writer, and he and the mechanic came out and took a listen. Left the car at dealer again, after mechanic thought the problem was caused by a "slapping piston" due to a possible defective cylinder, which could have accounted for the oil loss.
They called me later in the day to confirm that diagnosis, and tell me they were going to replace the "bottom part" (block?) of the engine.
I hope this doesn't foretell of cascading issues afterwards, but we'll have to wait and see.
In the meantime, at least they gave me a brand new Ultimate to drive, lol.
Sorry for the lengthy story, but wondering if others have had an issue like this?
Has anyone else had problems with their oil burning fast? I have a 2020 with about 20,000 miles on it and it's burnt up all of the oil my last 2 oil changes and I'm positive it isn't due to a bad oil change. They are making me go through the oil test where I go back every 1,000 miles and today was my first time going back for the first 1,000 miles and they said that it was down a quart and that that's considered normal. But I've had other people tell me that that is burning too fast.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I JUST bought a supposedly certified 2019 SEL in November and oil level was dangerously low after driving 500 miles! They’re making me go through the oil consumption test as well. You can see my previous posts on this. I contacted the previous owner and she said she has that problem since she leased the car. So disappointed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just recently noticed what I think is unusual oil consumption for my daughters 2019 Kona SEL. We bought it brand new for her. As of now it only has 14,400 miles on it. She drives it to go to college and her longest trips are about 300 miles one way when she comes home to visit. I make a point to check all the fluids with with my daughter every time she visits and we've noticed that every time we do check it, the oil is about one half quart low.

We've noticed no other problems and no unusual noises that would indicate bad valves, lifters, pistons, etc...so I will be keeping my eyes on the oil consumption from here on out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wrote last night, but I decided not to post since I just became a member and didn't want people to interpret in a wrong way what I wanted to say. However...

This Kona I just bought is the third (3rd) Hyundai with a 2.0L engine.
1) The first one was a brand new 2000 Elantra Wagon - I think they called that engine generation "Beta", w/ the 2.0L in that car being the "G4GF". I serviced that car religiously at the dealership until the warranty expired, after which I got on the DIY maintenance wagon. We kept that car until the paint started flaking off the top of the wagon and rust spots started to appear on the rocker panels - 16 years. As it aged, and as I even had to replace the Valve Cover Gasket once, that engine never needed more than half/quart between oil changes. Don't remember the exact mileage, but I sold it with at least 175,000 miles on the clock. The starter failed so while I waited for a RockAuto replacement, the second car (1995 Audi A6 2.8L) crapped w/ an Engine Speed Sensor code. Hence no functioning car in the driveway for about a week...
2) That's when the brand new 2016 Elantra GT came into the picture. That one had the "Nu GDi" 2.0 L engine - 174 HP.
Ever since I got it I changed the oil myself: OEM Hyundai filter and 5W-20 synthetic Quaker State as recommended by the manual. NEVER had to add one drop of oil between changes, but I changed the oil once before the winter weather would set in (about beginning of Nov), and then again at the end of May. It was my wife's daily driver (about 15 miles round trip) and we took it occasionally on longer trips as the "better" car. Traded it in last month (after paying it off) with 35,648 miles on the clock.
I have only had 1 problem for which I needed to go to the dealership: faulty Purge Valve, which was fixed under warranty, and that was back in 2018.

I read about the big Hyundai 2.0 GDI and 2.4L engine recall problems and I do scratch my head. I must have been one of the few "lucky" people with no engine problems. Knock on wood...
3) This FWD Kona I got has the 2.0L (148 HP) as well, and am planning to service it myself as well. Will see how things evolve.
Good luck folks - I just can't understand how cars with 6000, 10,000, 14000 or 20000 miles could need at least 1 quart of oil between changes. I just can't.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Which engine do you have?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts