Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I use synthetic in everything except motorcycles with a wet clutch. Synthetic will give longer life, intervals between changes & potentially cooler running in the summer.

Mobil 1 and Purple are the best out there. I use plain Walmart synthetic 5w-20w for $16 - 5 qt. bottle. I change my oil every 6k-7k miles.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Synthetic!!

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the Nu MPi 2.0L Atkinson Cycle in a 2019 SEL.

I take it to the dealer every 4500-5k miles. They use a semi-syn 5-20. Not sure of the brand. I figure that if I take it to the dealer every 5k miles, even conventional oil would last that distance, and there would not be any warranty issues.

Also...they send me coupons all the time, so it is only a little more than me buying all the stuff and the time to do it myself. The last change was $43US and took a whopping 35 mins. They washed it too. :cool:

Just had the second oil change around 7,750 (first one was around 3k). The oil looked normal for having 4k miles.

I figure that all modern oils that meet the spec should at least go 5k mi. It would probably be more of a filtering issue at that point.

...my .2 cents...If I had the turbo engine, then I would definitely put a full synthetic in it. The turbo bearings would be what I would worry about...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Change my oil and filter myself , used Castro’s edge for gdi engine, torque filter and drain plug to specs, even bought the drain plug washer when I went to the dealer for the filter. Cost was 1/3 the price the dealer charge and i know it was done right

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the Nu MPi 2.0L Atkinson Cycle in a 2019 SEL.

I take it to the dealer every 4500-5k miles. They use a semi-syn 5-20. Not sure of the brand. I figure that if I take it to the dealer every 5k miles, even conventional oil would last that distance, and there would not be any warranty issues.

Also...they send me coupons all the time, so it is only a little more than me buying all the stuff and the time to do it myself. The last change was $43US and took a whopping 35 mins. They washed it too. :cool:

Just had the second oil change around 7,750 (first one was around 3k). The oil looked normal for having 4k miles.

I figure that all modern oils that meet the spec should at least go 5k mi. It would probably be more of a filtering issue at that point.

...my .2 cents...If I had the turbo engine, then I would definitely put a full synthetic in it. The turbo bearings would be what I would worry about...
Totally agree. Non turbo, non GDI, dealer gave me 3 yrs of free oil changes and they use semi synthetic. I figure if they can warranty the engine for 100k, then semi synth is fine. If i did have the turbo, I would use full synth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Synthetic or not for a Kona oil change ?
I JUST BOUGHT A 2021 KONA SEL....lovely car....Hyundai now has 3 yrs or 30,000 miles FREE MAINTENANCE for oil changes, oil filter changes and tire rotations. When I asked the service manager if they used synthetic,he said "synthetic blend"... how often?... 7,500 miles or one year whatever comes first.
Seems a long time for synthetic blend....My Prius free service was SYNTHETIC OIL every 12 months and tire rotation every 6 months ....DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT TYPE OIL IS IN THE NEW CARS?? Synthetic or not.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
You do not have a turbo, so semi synthetic is ok. Full synthetic comes in the 1.6T and I would assume semi-syn. comes in the 2.0 liter. Semi-syn I would not go past 5,000 miles myself. Long hwy trips to work I would go no longer then 6,000. Turbo car max 3,750-4,000. Just be glad you don't have a turbo, because it seems these clowns at the dealership it seems want to ONLY put semi-syn in the turbo cars. So basically you can't take advantage of the free oil changes with the turbo because you could NEVER trust them to put in the right oil.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona SEL
26 Posts
The Nu 2.0L engine has a 7500 mile or 12 month normal service interval, which is what Hyundai uses to comp the maintenance for those who bought a Hyundai this year up to
3 years/3k miles. I think that promo started in February. When I bought my Kona back in July, they gave me a paper that allows me to get free oil changes (from the dealer) under the severe maintenance schedule (3750, 11250, etc) during the first 15 months of ownership. I'll take those since they're offering them. I'm currently not driving as much since I'm working from home. I've had my car almost 3 months and have only put almost 2k miles on the car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i bought my 2019 SE CPO on july 7 2020 with 10,650 miles. i look on the owners manual and it doesn't specify synthetic or conventional oil?!?!? mine is non turbo 2.0 AWD. i registered on the myhyundai.com website and after entering my VIN # i see this. this says i have prepaid maintenance through 5/01/2029. has anyone registered at this site?
Screenshot (1284).png

·
Registered
3 Posts
You do not have a turbo, so semi synthetic is ok. Full synthetic come in the 1.6T and I would assume semi-syn. comes in the 2.0 liter. Semi-syn I would not go past 5,000 miles myself. Long hwy trips to work I would go no longer then 6,000. Turbo car max 3,750-4,000. Just be glad you don't have a turbo, because it seems these clowns at the dealership it seems want to ONLY put semi-syn in the turbo cars. So basically you can't take advantage of the free oil changes with the turbo because you could NEVER trust them to put in the right oil.
Thanks for your input... I was told I could get synthetic but have to pay additional on the free service deal. Seems silly because synthetic oil is not that much more expensive. Will probably just get a synthetic oil change at about 2,000 for the first one, then go in for the free service at the one year anniversary. I normally do not put more than 6500 per year.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Thanks for your input... I was told I could get synthetic but have to pay additional on the free service deal. Seems silly because synthetic oil is not that much more expensive. Will probably just get a synthetic oil change at about 2,000 for the first one, then go in for the free service at the one year anniversary. I normally do not put more than 6500 per year.
Yes, good idea to dump early. I myself would not trust the Hyundai dealer to put full synthetic in. I question if most even have it. If it was a VW dealership, I would not worry as much because they truly know how important good oil is to a turbo. To Hyundai "cheap oil is oil, and we changed your oil, so there, we did it".

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have had a Sonata, Genesis, Tucson and now Kona (my wife's car). The dealership (King Hyundai, Deerfield Beach, FL) did in fact put Synthetic in my Genesis...(saw the barrel it came from)... Its interesting that they offer a 100,000 mile warranty on the engine and go cheap with semi synthetic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts