Hyundai Kona Forum banner

OBD2 Scanners

10K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Kiwi 
#1 ·
I’m new to the Forum. I’ve had my 2021 Kona EV Preferred for a month and enjoying it very much.

What type of OBD2 diagnostic scanner is recommended for Kona EV and what will it show that is not included in the dashboard and screen?

Keep posting. All post are very interesting.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
I like the Vgate iCarPro for Bluetooth. I have these as well, lesser quality but functional, the Konnwei and a generic translucent blue one. For iPhone use you need a wifi version apparently. I bought an android phone purely for use with the Vgate and torque Pro so I don't tie up my iPhone.

#5 ·
Has anyone tried the Soul EV spy app? it sounds o.k but there isn't much feedback on the net from users.
They appear to have a free version and a paid version, but I really would prefer to use something with a bit of user feedback.

#6 ·
That used to be one of the go-to apps but seems to have been forgotten. If I recall you need to use a particular dongle, Konnwei I think.

One downside of the Vgate dongle I use for Torque Pro is that is goes to sleep after 30 min after no further Bluetooth communications but doesn't wake up without a power-cycle. The OBD port is powered 24/7 so I have to reset the dongle manually. But for me TP has been a reliable app for some years, it's just much harder to set up.

It really depends what you're end goal is - logging or real time data.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info Kiwi, I used torque pro and bluedriver on the diesel Jeep, but hardly ever used it for real time data.
I will probably only use the OBD2 for keeping an eye on the battery condition, so I am doing a bit of research, the EV Watchdog and Soul EV spy seem pretty good for Hyundai data logging.
By the way, I will be doing the first oil change on the reduction gearbox this week, it is at 1,200klm and due its first free service at 1,500 booked for early next month.

#9 ·
I used that dongle for a while but the on/off button fell out and is nowhere to be seen. I tried it again yesterday with SoulSpy Lite and it just wouldn't stay connected, I think perhaps due to Android updates on the phone, one that I use exclusively for OBD access. T-Pro still works (Vgate iCar Pro dongle) and I can determine what I need from that, in real time mostly only cell balance and temperature.

Font Gadget Technology Electronic device Multimedia

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.