Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My 19 Kona has just under 8300 Miles. Today I started hearing a Whiny sound. Coming from the steering column. Have a recording on my phone. Having trouble uploading it. Its a MP4 file.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You need a new "clock spring". Mine has a small noise, they usauly do. But if they get bad to the point of you notice it when driving without the radio, it maybe time for a new one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I heard it backing out of a parking spot. I don't remember the last time I had one of those off. Probably 20 years ago??

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm taking to my dealer on June 4. Before I noticed the noise, Occasionally I would get a warning about keeping my hands on the wheel. When my hand was on the wheel. It would flash real quick. Then go away.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am taking to the dealership this morning. Contacted Hyundai with a complaint. They keep calling me every couple of days. When I am at work and can't answer the call.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all. My 19 Kona has just under 8300 Miles. Today I started hearing a Whiny sound. Coming from the steering column. Have a recording on my phone. Having trouble uploading it. Its a MP4 file.
yup it is the steering column, replaced it 3 times in my 19 kona.. going to replace 2 axels next week too.. what a rabbish and i only did arround 40k km

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went to the dealer this morning. Have to come back next week. They lost power during a storm last night.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My one does the similar sound too but not that loud .. I am driving Kona 2019 ,I already got 32k ineh ... your one is kind of loud , we’ll probably you videoed it too close that is why sounds clear .. but it’s been like 3-4 month I noticed that thing and I am driving quit good .. idk what to do next I will show that to the dealer on my next service

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did that Intentionally. To make sure it was Loud and Clear. I played it to the service writer today. She just says, That doesn't sound good. And has me coming back next Wed due to the power outage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did that Intentionally. To make sure it was Loud and Clear. I played it to the service writer today. She just says, That doesn't sound good. And has me coming back next Wed due to the power outage.
Let me know what they say .. and what they change ..then I will go to dealer and tell them straight.. thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's what happened. Go to dealership. Mechanic cant hear noise. Now a 2nd Mechanic goes for a ride. Again can't hear the noise. Asked me what the complaint was? Played the video. Audio through the car speakers. BT connection. Take back into shop. 1/2 hour later, Ordered a Steering Column. Now I have to go back again. And most likely need to leave it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here's what happened. Go to dealership. Mechanic cant hear noise. Now a 2nd Mechanic goes for a ride. Again can't hear the noise. Asked me what the complaint was? Played the video. Audio through the car speakers. BT connection. Take back into shop. 1/2 hour later, Ordered a Steering Column. Now I have to go back again. And most likely need to leave it.
told ya from the start.. i changed it twice.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
told ya from the start.. i changed it twice.
Had yours replaced Twice? I had 8300 Miles when I noticed it. Just filed a complaint with NHTSA. They either have a bad batch, Bad Design. 40k is what around 30k Miles? This could turn into a Serious Safety Issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had yours replaced Twice? I had 8300 Miles when I noticed it. Just filed a complaint with NHTSA. They either have a bad batch, Bad Design. 40k is what around 30k Miles? This could turn into a Serious Safety Issue.
yup replaced it twice, first at 25k km next at 35k km...besides that, the gear is bad!! while exiting the ramp, it holds high gear while am on 30km speed... oh and the media screen is so bad, the rear camera not clear

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dealer got the part in the next day. I am taking back next week to have it replaced. The Parts Manager told me its about $11xx Part.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts