Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put a deposit down a 2022 Kona Limited. Weird thing I noticed: The NLine and Limited trims do not support wireless carplay while the base level SE and SEL trims do. What could be the reason for this? The Limited comes with a 10.25 display unit that seems superior in every way to the base-level 8 inch version in the SE -- except for this one detail.

Does anyone know if this is a hardware limitation, or perhaps something that could be fixed in a firmware update later? I find an aftermarket unit with wireless CarPlay from review. Worth buying? (U2W Plus) Carlinkit 3.0 Wireless Apple CarPlay Adapter Dongle for Wired CarPlay

· Registered
202 Kona N Line w/ tech package on 19in Konig Ampliforms
193 Posts
It's something between Hyundai and Google, there's a lot of info out there about it. It's a different head unit in the lower trims so as soon as you go to the 10inch, no more wireless. There are a variety of dongles like you listed, but I don't have any personal experience with them as it's not that big a deal to me to plug in if I use AA.

IF I did go that route, this is more expensive but has a LOT more functionality. Pretty transformative for the head unit in general. May be worth a look:

· Registered
66 Posts
I use a Carplay dongle in my 2022 Kona N and it works 95 percent of time. It's not perfect, but works well enough. Using wireless charging doesn't make sense unless you have wireless Carplay as well.
Been ho humming about this as well, and it's very strange that a top end Ultimate here in Canada has wired Android Auto/Car Play, but lower levels have wireless. The wireless charging system works on lower models, and I guess works on the Ultimate trim, but like you said you can't use Android Auto/Car Play properly this way. The compromise is if you have a sub with Sirius XM, you can listen to satellie through the system. However, I live on Waze and Google Maps and I need Android Auto, lol....Until I play around with a Kona I can't really figure out if this is a deal breaker or not for me as I assume your phone will charge through the wired USB anyhow, LOL.

Not sure I am rambling....haha

· Read Only
399 Posts
i bought cplay2, it looked more legit than then chinese brands on amazon. turns out it shipped from china. so mine connects around 75 percent of the time, theres a delay when using steering wheel buttons. the absolut worst thing is that on a phone call your lagging behind. long story short i just take 3 seconds and plug it into the car zero issues, mine was for carplay

· Registered
4 Posts
i bought cplay2, it looked more legit than then chinese brands on amazon. turns out it shipped from china. so mine connects around 75 percent of the time, theres a delay when using steering wheel buttons. the absolut worst thing is that on a phone call your lagging behind. long story short i just take 3 seconds and plug it into the car zero issues, mine was for carplay
I got this one, just paired once then fast and always ready, just like plugged in. Amazon.com

· Read Only
399 Posts
I got this one, just paired once then fast and always ready, just like plugged in. Amazon.com
you got the cplay2? and its fine? i was going to send it back but shipping was 35bucks back toi china so i just kept it, i only paid less than a hundred. they gave me a file to download, but im not sure i wanted to download it on my pc

edit nevermind i didnt read your post fully, **** a d d lol

from my research it seemed that they are all pretty much the same hardware, the screen it shows to connect look just like mine

· Registered
66 Posts
How can I play music CDs in my 2022 Kona N-Line? (no AUX input, surprisingly) Will a portable CD player with bluetooth accomplish that?
Can't answer how a portable CD player would work but why not transfer these files to your phone or put on a thumb drive to use in the USB? Plugging anything into a power supply in a car risks blowing a fuse, etc I would think

· Registered
1 Posts
Just put a deposit down a 2022 Kona Limited. Weird thing I noticed: The NLine and Limited trims do not support wireless carplay while the base level SE and SEL trims do. What could be the reason for this? The Limited comes with a 10.25 display unit that seems superior in every way to the base-level 8 inch version in the SE -- except for this one detail.

Does anyone know if this is a hardware limitation, or perhaps something that could be fixed in a firmware update later? I find an aftermarket unit with wireless CarPlay from review. Worth buying? (U2W Plus) Carlinkit 3.0 Wireless Apple CarPlay Adapter Dongle for Wired CarPlay
I have the same dongle as you. This product works great. Well built, easy to install and use.it works perfectly. No more plugging in the phone. The music sounds very good but without the wire.

· Registered
119 Posts

Odd. My 22 Kona EV limited trim does.

· Registered
2022 Kona Elite extended range
75 Posts
I bought the Carsifi wireless android auto adaptor, on a recommendation on another EV forum, it's a bit dearer than some other adaptors, but it does work.
I'm fed up with buying on price and then the thing doesn't work, so I'm happy no plugging and unplugging every time I get in and out of the car. (y)
I think it might only be for android phones.

· Registered
Kona EV 2022
1 Posts
We bought a cheap one off amazon -

So far in two months, it's been fine, generally connects quickly, and once connected, thats it, no problems. Sometimes it does take about 30 seconds, our biggest issue is when hubby is in the car with me, generally it will connect to him instead of me when I am driving, and generally I am shouting "turn off bluetooth" as he gets in the car!

Its been great not having to plug in anymore, and it just working, we love it.

And its a very nice small unit, so does not take up much room

· Registered
2022 Kona Elite extended range
75 Posts
The Carsifi dongle has a button that you press to change from one phone to another, the good thing is it sounds as though the Kona doesn't have too much trouble with the dongles, it's great to hear yours works well..(y)
I must admit I haven't needed to use this, as the wife hates using the phone anyway, so she doesn't want it paired.

From the Carsifi webpage FAQ:

Can I connect multiple devices to the Carsifi adapter and how to switch between them?
You can pair as many Smartphone’s as you wish. If you pair multiple Android devices with a Carsifi adapter, Android Auto will only work with one of them. You can switch between phones using Magic Button by double click.

If I connect two Android phones with Carsifi, which one will work next time?
If 2 paired phones are available in same time, Carsifi automatically connect to phone with latest Android Auto session.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts