Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Iron Man Edition with only 13k miles. Went out for a short drive and all was fine. Started up again and there was no sound from the radio, Nav, bluetooth or anything. Pulled over and shut it off, waited about 30 seconds, restarted and still nothing. Drove home and started pulling fuses to see if anything was blown, but nothing was bad. After about an hour of messing around, I restarted again and all was fine. So, the good news is that everything is working. The bad news is that I'm worried that something is "going". Should I be worried or is there anything I can check out? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
202 Kona N Line w/ tech package on 19in Konig Ampliforms
142 Posts
Have you tried simply resetting the head unit? A little hole under one of the knobs, just hold it for 5 sec or so and let things get a fresh reboot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2019 Iron Man Edition with only 13k miles. Went out for a short drive and all was fine. Started up again and there was no sound from the radio, Nav, bluetooth or anything. Pulled over and shut it off, waited about 30 seconds, restarted and still nothing. Drove home and started pulling fuses to see if anything was blown, but nothing was bad. After about an hour of messing around, I restarted again and all was fine. So, the good news is that everything is working. The bad news is that I'm worried that something is "going". Should I be worried or is there anything I can check out? Thanks in advance.
This might be something obvious...Did you happen to mistakenly hit the mute button on the radio control on your steering wheel?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This might be something obvious...Did you happen to mistakenly hit the mute button on the radio control on your steering wheel?
I thought of that, too. No, you see the volume bar getting longer and shorter as I turned the volume up and down and also checked the mute button. It was strange that all of the infotainment worked (radio, Nav, bluetooth) but no sound from any of them. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Same thing happened to me today. Started car, radio was on, but no sound from any source. Turned engine off and on several times, did not help. Tapped all fuses back in with no luck. Was ready to try to hold power button down for 10 seconds, but when I turned car on, sound was magically back. Also contemplated hitting the reset hole. Would that erase all my stations and settings? What does holding power down do?

·
Registered
77 Posts
This has now happened to me a second time. I started on a two hour drive with sound, but stopped for gas. After turning the car back on, no sound. I turned engine on and off several times with no luck. Then I was able to turn engine off for about 5 minutes and turned car back on and had sound. Will see what dealer says.

·
Super Moderator
1,285 Posts
I’ve had a couple of weird instances with the sound system as well. Sometimes i Lose sound after Stopping the car and then starting it again within a few minutes. All I have to do is hit the mode switch and Select the source and all is well again? The head unit is integrated with all the chimes and other sounds. It’s always on, I think when some of these Alerts that come through somehow mess with the source selection, Which requires Having to re-select the source again. Just my theory on this. Not worth taking to the dealer as I’m sure there would be no problem found. More like a firmware issue in the head unit under certain conditions. More of an inconvenience then a problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I’ve had a couple of weird instances with the sound system as well. Sometimes i Lose sound after Stopping the car and then starting it again within a few minutes. All I have to do is hit the mode switch and Select the source and all is well again? The head unit is integrated with all the chimes and other sounds. It’s always on, I think when some of these Alerts that come through somehow mess with the source selection, Which requires Having to re-select the source again. Just my theory on this. Not worth taking to the dealer as I’m sure there would be no problem found. More like a firmware issue in the head unit under certain conditions. More of an inconvenience then a problem.
Thanks...my problem is a bit worse...if I am driving home and can't just pull over and stop for 5 minutes, I will have no radio or handsfree cel for the duration of the ride. Someone please answer this: Is it worth taking to the dealer and asking to update the firmware or will that cause other problems? Will they even know what I am talking about?

·
Super Moderator
1,285 Posts
Thanks...my problem is a bit worse...if I am driving home and can't just pull over and stop for 5 minutes, I will have no radio or handsfree cel for the duration of the ride. Someone please answer this: Is it worth taking to the dealer and asking to update the firmware or will that cause other problems? Will they even know what I am talking about?
I would have the dealer look at it. If you can recreate the problem, they should give you a new unit or apply a known fix, if any exist.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks everyone...this hasn't happened since the first two times. I mentioned ot to the dealer and they were not a big help. I would have to bring the car in while it was happening, which probably would be difficult.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts