Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
i`ve had my SE 2.0 AWD for about 6 weeks now and i love it. a huge thing for me is reliability and longevity. i know that engines that are turbo aspired usually don`t last as long as normally aspired engines so i chose the non turbo. i had a 1990 hyundai excel that i drove over 13 years and then got a 2003 ford focus that i drove for over 17 years. that's 31 years with 2 cars. i like to get my money's worth out of a car. this Kona is really fun to drive. the slight hesitation on acceleration and lack of road feel in the steering wheel is just slightly weird but i know i will get used to it. a big thing for me is the AWD. this is my first one and living in the northeast we get a decent amount of snow most years. my past FWD cars were ok in a couple of inches of snow but lousy in deeper snow. i`m looking forward to taking this out in the snow and seeing how it does. also, the gas mileage is about double of what my focus was getting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm like you - I have an aversion to turbos because of their past history. I'm not sure if that's valid anymore? Might still be - they are a moving part subjected to very high underhood temps. But like you, I was averse to the turbo, plus the reviews saying the DCT could be annoying at slow speeds. THat would likely aggravate me, so the SEL plus was the BEST choice for me.

And I am noticing sluggishness btw 20 - 30 mph. I think it's the way the car is programmed? For economy? I'm used to my last two V6 cars that had a torque curve that didn't have that "dead" spot. I am sure my mind and foot are learning to compensate. And Sport mode seems to do a little better. My wife's SF is similar. And her 2017 Tucson was not fun to drive at all. Seemed like the computer took it's time to decide if it really wanted to obey the inputs you were giving it. And wife said it just would not accelerate hard from a stop while the wheels weren't straight. Like turning from a stop. You really had to plan those starts. Kona is MUCH better. I would rather drive my Kona than her SF anyday. Much more fun. She has named the Kona "Zippy".

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm like you - I have an aversion to turbos because of their past history. I'm not sure if that's valid anymore? Might still be - they are a moving part subjected to very high underhood temps. But like you, I was averse to the turbo, plus the reviews saying the DCT could be annoying at slow speeds. THat would likely aggravate me, so the SEL plus was the BEST choice for me.

And I am noticing sluggishness btw 20 - 30 mph. I think it's the way the car is programmed? For economy? I'm used to my last two V6 cars that had a torque curve that didn't have that "dead" spot. I am sure my mind and foot are learning to compensate. And Sport mode seems to do a little better. My wife's SF is similar. And her 2017 Tucson was not fun to drive at all. Seemed like the computer took it's time to decide if it really wanted to obey the inputs you were giving it. And wife said it just would not accelerate hard from a stop while the wheels weren't straight. Like turning from a stop. You really had to plan those starts. Kona is MUCH better. I would rather drive my Kona than her SF anyday. Much more fun. She has named the Kona "Zippy".
my 2020 kona 2.0l is also slugish in the first couple gears. Sport mode for sure helps. its actually better on fuel in sport mode as well by a few litres per 100km. id love to find a way to tune it a bit though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine is a lease, so no major mods unless I buy it out. But it's a lot of fun for an older guy that likes a "sport run" on occasion. Thanks for the tip on Sport mode. I do use that occasionally, but am getting used to the flat spot and compensate by giving it more gas through 2nd and into 3rd gear. In everyday driving it is working out. Haven't tried the sport mode for commuting to see about mpg. May try that.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona SEL
26 Posts
Definitely have to look hard for a review of a non-turbo Kona, and I've only found a couple on YouTube videos of them. Actually, when Consumer Reports did their evaluation of the Kona, they used a 2.0L Kona. Of all the trim levels, they recommend the SEL Plus.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts