Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Weird isn't it? The only mention of the 2.0L in videos or in print I saw prior to purchase was 'it isn't as good as the turbo' and things of that nature - disappointing to say the least. I don't know about you but I am pretty happy with my SEL and the 2.0 inside.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weird isn't it? The only mention of the 2.0L in videos or in print I saw prior to purchase was 'it isn't as good as the turbo' and things of that nature - disappointing to say the least. I don't know about you but I am pretty happy with my SEL and the 2.0 inside.
yeah, I;m very happy so far with my 2.0, especially the gas mileage. I imagine if I had the turbo my gas mileage wouldn't be as good cause I'd be on the throttle all the time.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Good, gas milage in the 1.6 is quite good. We averaging 36 - 39 mile to the gallon on combined rural and city driving at altitudes from 5200 to over 5500 ft around Rio Rancho and Albuquerque.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Good, gas milage in the 1.6 is quite good. We averaging 36 - 39 mile to the gallon on combined rural and city driving at altitudes from 5200 to over 5500 ft around Rio Rancho and Albuquerque.
I'm rolling at the same altitude, keep an eye out for the sonic silver with black roof.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
I'm rolling at the same altitude, keep an eye out for the sonic silver with black roof.
Mines White/Silver Trim

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm very happy with my 2.0L SEL, coming from a V8 Titan...starting from a full stop, the power is ample and from there, the zip really kicks in! More power is all well and good, but I didn't want the DCT...never having driven manuals, I didn't want to 'relearn' my driving habits to avoid wear on the dual clutches...not after 50 years of driving! I do recall a couple of Youtube Kona reviews among the many, many I watched, with the 2.0L and the consensus was that it was fully adequate...and not being a street racer, that's good enough for me!

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
:smile_big:Yes sir, I was skeptical for along time about a white car but after we purchased the Genesis G80 Ultimate in white, I didn't hesitate.:wink:

·
Registered
608 Posts

I am averaging 19 to 22 mpg at 900 ft in Minnesota with 1.6 AWD Limited. With a few hwy trips at 25 mpg. I am mostly a short tripper.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm very happy with my 2.0l so far. According to the car, I was at nearly 40mpg the other day on a highway run of about 50 miles. I haven't seen those numbers since my old '02 Saturn SL sedan, lol. For a car with AWD those are outstanding numbers. My mixed driving average since I got the car is over 30mpg, also outstanding. I should also note that I live at about 3000 feet elevation. The 2.0l is plenty powerful for the size of the vehicle and horsepower to weight ratio comparisons I did during my research indicated the Kona even with the lesser engine is quite comparable to its competition in that regard.

I did see a few reviews of the 2.0l before I bought the car. Hyundai is throwing the 1.6T at the reviewers because that extra power enhances the cars fun factor. That version is their best foot forward, kind of how most car reviewers are given the upper level trims in general. But if you hunt you can find lower trim reviews here and there on YouTube.

·
Super Moderator
266 Posts
I drove the 2.0 and 1.6 back to back when buying mine.

The 1.6 was far quicker and my style of driving. (I came from a VW 7 Speed DSG)

The Dual Clutch is quick in it's changes but lumpier from a hill start than the auto in the 2.0.

If you are just a city crawler, the 2.0 would be a fine family car. the extra cost of the 1.6T will take a long time to make up in the fuel savings.

Despite the 1.6T being "Offically" being worse than my old 1.4 TwinCharged VW, my highway numbers were slightly better.

The Engine in my old car was also totally replaced less than 3K Miles ago, so it's not an age thing.

Averaging 5.9L/100 in the 1.6T (48MPG) and 6.5 in the old car (43.5 MPG)

That's a mix of a 70km highway run and a 30km main roads.
There is also plenty of elevation changes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I like the two point O very much. For my needs its fine, then I party with the Sport Mode....oh ya its fun. I've not done a mileage check, just trusting the lil digital thing on the dash. The Kona is a lot of fun. I just had my oil changed also...at 990 miles cuz it was a freebie and all those metal shavings are outta there!! This car is cool people. Peace

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use my Kona for work in a mountain tourist town. I make a lot of short trips, often travel rough mountain roads and experience some days of heavy traffic. I chose the SEL AWD for my purposes and do not regret it at all.

For one thing, turbos in the past have not done well with short trip driving. You always needed to let them idle for a few minutes before turning them off and for me that is just not an option. When I looked in to turbos a few years ago, you were lucky to get 100k miles out of them before they had to be replaced. I do not know if that has changed in recent years or not but after test driving the 2.0 I realized it would have all the power I needed. I went from a 09 Honda Civic to he Kona, which had a similar size and HP engine. I am not a racer and do not need to hit 60 in under 7 seconds.

Adding to that, the DCT was not really an option for me. I spend time every week inching through traffic and up rough mountain roads. DCTs are not good for inching at all. They are made for open roads. I am not going to do any daredevil off-roading in the desert, but in a county with mostly private roads, they are often washed out, steep and loosely packed. To get the most of my AWD I went with the shift-able 6 speed auto. There is a YouTube video of a guy attempting to off-road in his Kona 1.6t and overheating his transmission 1/3rd of the way. Likewise, I have read about some people overheating in heavy traffic, because they were inching ahead. That could be avoided by fully engaging the clutch instead of inching forward, but that requires a change in my driving style. If I am going to buy a new car, then I want to buy one that fits me; not buy one and try to fit to it.

I am not disparaging the 1.6t, I am simply saying that there are advantages to the 2.0 if you do not need the extra 29 hp. I did not and I would not trade my AWD SEL for any other version.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
then you made a wise decision. Good on you.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
I think I've seen one also on Sunday past. It looked quite tame just sitting there outside, wait for it..............."BEST BUY!":smile::wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2.0 is getting pretty good fuel economy. Currently the display is reading 6.8 L/100km (`34.6mpg) with mostly city driving. Considering it is rated for 8.6 city and 7.0 highway, I'd say it's doing pretty good. I don't like the throttle delay though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts