Hyundai Kona Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
1,276 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
I wondered about that yesterday , so good to know but yeah a misaligned design given a center speaker though no real update or ability for a new head unit and then only a 7 in would fit and Ultimate 8 in unit but the overall cost would not really be a benefit for sound. Also as in part of investigation with the headlights looking at the fuse panel a 15 amp for heated steering wheel but no switch or wheel. Strange design came into play but again it is a general design platform with easily added changes for each country.

Plan though is to yes get to changing all the speakers including tweeters and sound deadening the doors also in time but so many other details and upgrades before sound in the works along with new skid plate.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I just went to Audio Express here in Las Vegas and ask them if they heard of audio frogs and they said they didn't have anything in the store that would compare to them , they said they're very high-end so I went on Crutchfield in ordered mine for the front first ... ?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I really appreciate your input and tips, seeing as you have gone first in this.
I've sent all components back for now, going to do a little more research.
I did find the connector adapters, plus an install company that makes OEM matched mount plates with foam fast rings included.
A little pricey, but if I decide to attempt again, I'll weigh the cost of parts vs the potential
enjoyment benefit.

Plenty of sound matt left over, and yes, will apply it to the door(s).
Highly Illogical? Most of my life is. Keeps me & everyone else guessing. :p
Where did you find the connectors at ?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I really appreciate your input and tips, seeing as you have gone first in this.
I've sent all components back for now, going to do a little more research.
I did find the connector adapters, plus an install company that makes OEM matched mount plates with foam fast rings included.
A little pricey, but if I decide to attempt again, I'll weigh the cost of parts vs the potential
enjoyment benefit.

Plenty of sound matt left over, and yes, will apply it to the door(s).
Highly Illogical? Most of my life is. Keeps me & everyone else guessing. :p
Where did you find a OEM connector adapters ?

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
This is what you're looking for.
https://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/72-7300.html

I haven't contacted them yet, but from when I took the speakers out, they look exactly the same.

And this was where I saw the fabricated speaker mounts, with the fast rings too.
https://store.audiodesignscg.com/product/hyundai-kia-speaker-adapters-aftermarket-speaker-install/

He has a video on the site, which nicely outlines the quality of his work.
If I decide to move forward, definitely going this route.[/QUOTE

Thank you so much for the info ..... Ordering mine now !

·
Registered
275 Posts
This is what you're looking for.
https://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/72-7300.html

I haven't contacted them yet, but from when I took the speakers out, they look exactly the same.

And this was where I saw the fabricated speaker mounts, with the fast rings too.
https://store.audiodesignscg.com/product/hyundai-kia-speaker-adapters-aftermarket-speaker-install/

He has a video on the site, which nicely outlines the quality of his work.
If I decide to move forward, definitely going this route.
I found these on Amazon and ordered a couple sets now ordering the Audio Frogs !

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Limited AWD has the low end stereo, so I upped the quality of sound. I went with only front speakers for right now and an small brick amp. I installed my front speakers last night before my amp install at a local stereo install guys shop. I passed on the amp install because I did not want to wreck the dash and do not know how to tune the amp. so it was worth the $100 to get the pro install. Which I might add to others, the standard Hyundai harness add-on does not work with the Kona's back up camera and he had to cut the factory wires and solder them directly to the amp.

2) front speakers (left the tweeters alone, they are next to worthless)

https://www.audiofrog.com/gs62-6-165mm-premium-grade-automotive-full-range-loudspeaker/

Brick Amp. The amp was installed under the glovebox up against the fan motor with a board and strap setup. You could kick it if you wanted to will sitting in the passenger seat. I wanted it there because my car sits in direct sunlight and the cabin temp can get to 150 degs even here in Minnesota, I did not want it inside the dash. When I turn the air on it cools down the cabin and the amp.

https://alpine-usa.com/product/view/ktp-445u

I have 15lbs of dynomat lining the doors outer sheet metal and mounting rings, plus foam behind the speaker and a foam ring to seal for better mid bass.

Sounds great now!!! rear speaker coming later.
Dash Speaker with Part Number for you

Attachments

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
How are going to separate the sound if you don't have the Infinity head unit firmware and the added separated speaker lead it would call for? You will have to chose the right or left channel and where will you compromise your system to get that ? It looks like your only choice is adding a $200 plus sound processing unit and a $100 install into your life if you are not going to do it yourself. Not worth it.

·
Super Moderator
1,318 Posts
What head unit...? These sound systems are so integrated into the car and it’s functions.. it looks impossible to modify..
Mania1 brings up a good point on how you will sum up the center channel..
good luck with your project..

·
Banned
1,276 Posts
You'll need to cut the dash I suspect or purchase a new one. The Infinity head unit will be needed also as there is no center channel to support the center speaker.

Best of luck on the install and please do post photos of the installation.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
There is no need to cut the dash, the head unit and dash front comes completely apart is minutes. I would assume the Infinity firmware is in the head unit or the amp under the front seat. But still, if you don't have the Infinity unit, your screwed on installing the center speaker properly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How are going to separate the sound if you don't have the Infinity head unit firmware and the added separated speaker lead it would call for? You will have to chose the right or left channel and where will you compromise your system to get that ? It looks like your only choice is adding a $200 plus sound processing unit and a $100 install into your life if you are not going to do it yourself. Not worth it.

You are absolutely correct. We need to plug it into neither left or right speaker. But Kona in my country doesn't offer Infinity version. I'm finding any alternative solution to replace the head unit that support 5.1. Right now It seem only Chinese head unit are available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone looked into the feasibility of using the center dash speaker cavity for placing a small amp? I know Mainia1 said he didn't want his to be cooking inside his dash, but I suspect that little Alpine amp would fit there, and if the solid plastic cover was replaced with the speaker grille part from Hyundai it'd get ventilated...

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Has anyone looked into the feasibility of using the center dash speaker cavity for placing a small amp? I know Mainia1 said he didn't want his to be cooking inside his dash, but I suspect that little Alpine amp would fit there, and if the solid plastic cover was replaced with the speaker grille part from Hyundai it'd get ventilated...

I mounted the amp under the passenger side front dash under the glove box toward the firewall. You cant see it unless you put your head on the floor.it's out in the open so it can radiate heat in the summer and is kind of in line with the floor airflow, so the A/C will cool it...sort of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep, I'll tell the car audio shop about your successful amp placement when I take mine in. Only difference will be my speakers will be cheaper! Thx for the info-

21 - 40 of 45 Posts