Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Limited AWD has the low end stereo, so I upped the quality of sound. I went with only front speakers for right now and an small brick amp. I installed my front speakers last night before my amp install at a local stereo install guys shop. I passed on the amp install because I did not want to wreck the dash and do not know how to tune the amp. so it was worth the $100 to get the pro install. Which I might add to others, the standard Hyundai harness add-on does not work with the Kona's back up camera and he had to cut the factory wires and solder them directly to the amp.

2) front speakers (left the tweeters alone, they are next to worthless)

https://www.audiofrog.com/gs62-6-165mm-premium-grade-automotive-full-range-loudspeaker/

Brick Amp. The amp was installed under the glovebox up against the fan motor with a board and strap setup. You could kick it if you wanted to will sitting in the passenger seat. I wanted it there because my car sits in direct sunlight and the cabin temp can get to 150 degs even here in Minnesota, I did not want it inside the dash. When I turn the air on it cools down the cabin and the amp.

https://alpine-usa.com/product/view/ktp-445u

I have 15lbs of dynomat lining the doors outer sheet metal and mounting rings, plus foam behind the speaker and a foam ring to seal for better mid bass.

Sounds great now!!! rear speaker coming later.

·
Registered
244 Posts
That is in the plans for mine also but also figured getting to the head unit would be a little tough. I have read though just replacing the factory speakers with new ones it would sound like well ****.

Let us know how it works out with the amp install if any glitches with the back up cam develop or I wonder if just going with a full speaker set up no amp would be worth it with dynomat or similar behind the speakers also.

I had the same small Alpine amp in my Subaru and made a big difference for what it puts out.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, just new speakers made a big difference. I had it without an amp for 20 hours. These speakers are affordable audiophile speakers, their rating is 15w min to 70w max. The factory radio is under that, but I don't see how that would matter much, it's not like they are going to blow because of under min power. They still made a great increase in quality of sound. These are very crisp clean speakers and I have to push the bass and can to where I want it on 90% of my songs. I will try to pick rear speakers that a known to have more bass even if they are more muddy to get where I want the bass. It makes no sense for me to get a subwoofer since my main music is 80's hair bands and I can't stand pronounced subwoofer music in a car. Even a hint of a classic subwoofer is too low on the MHz scale for my liking.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Was there any issue with the speaker depth when you installed?
I am looking at replacing the front & rears with something from either Crutchfield or Amazon (Canada) and want to be sure they'll plug & play.

Also, wondering about that dead spot on the center dash - if a center speaker could be added with minimal hacking of the factory system.
This would be a job for a shop installer, cause I know I'd cut it wrong.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was there any issue with the speaker depth when you installed?
I am looking at replacing the front & rears with something from either Crutchfield or Amazon (Canada) and want to be sure they'll plug & play.

Also, wondering about that dead spot on the center dash - if a center speaker could be added with minimal hacking of the factory system.
This would be a job for a shop installer, cause I know I'd cut it wrong.

Just go by Crutchfields "will it fit" under Kona as mine were. Unless you have the Infinity system or a special balance board I would not put the dash speaker in, how are going to separate the stereo?

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
There isn't enough speaker channels on the base head unit to accommodate the middle speaker.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just received my back speakers ( soon to be front speakers since they have a hair more bass response then the Audio Frogs) I will be lining my rear door with sound mating, but to a lesser degree since I don't have to reduce the tire road noise since I am not sitting there. I will add more then normal in the rear lower corner to stop some of the rear tire noise. I will NOW be adding the Roxul wool insulation to all doors since I pulled it down from the attic and it is there.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSZ65F/Pioneer-TS-Z65F.html?avf=Y

Soundproofing can be seen in this thread.

https://www.hyundaikonaforum.com/forum/9-2018-hyundai-kona-general-discussion/1228-i-added-sound-proofing-my-kona.html

·
Registered
96 Posts
You plan on uploading some pics once you get the full setup installed? Sure seems like you've done your due diligence will all the sound dampening.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just received my back speakers ( soon to be front speakers since they have a hair more bass response then the Audio Frogs) I will be lining my rear door with sound mating, but to a lesser degree since I don't have to reduce the tire road noise since I am not sitting there. I will add more then normal in the rear lower corner to stop some of the rear tire noise. I will NOW be adding the Roxul wool insulation to all doors since I pulled it down from the attic and it is there.

https://www.hyundaikonaforum.com/forum/9-2018-hyundai-kona-general-discussion/1228-i-added-sound-proofing-my-kona.html

Well, these speakers are going back......they don't hold a candle to my Audio Frogs. Not enough bass, mids and, too much treble coming from the tweeters and you can't kill it with adjustments on the head unit.looks like more Audi Frogs are coming my way. Ouch! $$$

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was planning on doing my install/ speaker swap today, but (big Hmmmff) can't find a sound matt roller anywhere in town.
Don't really want to remove the panels twice, so now to wait another week for Amanzon to deliver.

I have the Rockford Fozgate replacements & brackets and the Noico 80mil sound matt.

As mentioned in another topic, not looking for audiophile results, just a little better than the flat OEM sound.
Shot the prelim video today, so we'll see how the audio comes out. If its bad, I won't bother posting.
I'll be taking pics of the process though. Argg, have to wait yet one more week.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Following the install closely and appreciate the efforts for sure.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
51 Posts
OK, I picked up a roller from a local craft store, dropped the wife off at the airport and settled in to do the re/re speakers.
Started video recording, removed the door panel & all the little electrical plugs, narrating the whole way.

Get the new speaker and bracket out . . . . and then:

1/ the mounting bracket lines up to the door holes but not to the speaker holes.
Crutchfield tech mentions their specs state that you may need to line up one hole and drill/ tap new ones to secure the speaker.

2/ the connector is a small, square unit and would require either splicing or cutting to connect the new speaker.
Tech comments that he wouldn't cut it if it was his. Agrees that the site states any required connectors will ship with the speaker.
Nothing shipped with the speaker but wiring. I'm not interested in cutting out the factor connector - especially as this is a lease.

3/ when looking on the site for my order, and the original page where I ordered the speakers, low and behold they are $30 less/ pair!!!
I only ordered these less than a month ago, 3 weeks. $60 difference is - dare I say - almost bordering on rip off/ gotcha!

Tech is in the US as the Canadian service is closed on weekends.
I'll be buttoning up the door with the factory stuff all in place and returning the whole order.
Frick'n Frack'n son of a gun - I was all excited to do this swap and post the vid. Even got the door off without breaking any pins!
Attached a few pics of the process - now to button it back up

Oh, by the way, there is light sound insulation on the interior panel, and a few strips of absorbing mat stuck to the inside of the exterior door metal.
The factory speakers are 4 ohm, 20 watt. The replacements I was going to put in are 45 RMS / 90 watt max.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
So with all the holes for mounting in the speaker , there were none that matched up with the holes in the door opening? As far as connecting and not wanting to cut the oem connector go to if you have a Homedepot or similar and pickup a packet of female/male wire connectors and a wire crimping tool then you can mate each female with a male and then females into a supplied short piece of wire and the you have the connection. If not wanting to truly cut the oem as I would one would know only you and when and you already have gone this far to replace the speakers a oem connector is not going to save the lease from being so called tampered with unless you plan on at the end pulling the speakers you installed again to put oem back.

·
Registered
51 Posts
No matter how I positioned the speaker on the supplied adapter ring, even with all the multiple screw hole options,
none would have provided enough bite to be a proper, secure install.

I have a crimper and connectors, but Crutchfield advertises that OEM connection converters are provided - which I didn't get.
Considering that the Kona is so new, I'll be returning this order and waiting a while.

On top of this, I would also want foam insulation rings. Watched a few more videos from other "experienced" installers.
Thinking now, the price of experience that I can hire is WAY more valuable the the cost of my shoddy, DIY attempt at something.

As for the lease, I do like the Kona but have 3 years of test use to look forward to. Last lease I gave back with all the improvements included.
I don't see it as loss, I see it as how much enjoyment I had. Always nice when the next person gets a bonus.
I invest heavy in Karma - doing as much good as I can for others, even when its anonymous.

Thanks for the input. Appreciated

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
No matter how I positioned the speaker on the supplied adapter ring, even with all the multiple screw hole options,
none would have provided enough bite to be a proper, secure install.

I have a crimper and connectors, but Crutchfield advertises that OEM connection converters are provided - which I didn't get.
Considering that the Kona is so new, I'll be returning this order and waiting a while.

On top of this, I would also want foam insulation rings. Watched a few more videos from other "experienced" installers.
Thinking now, the price of experience that I can hire is WAY more valuable the the cost of my shoddy, DIY attempt at something.

As for the lease, I do like the Kona but have 3 years of test use to look forward to. Last lease I gave back with all the improvements included.
I don't see it as loss, I see it as how much enjoyment I had. Always nice when the next person gets a bonus.
I invest heavy in Karma - doing as much good as I can for others, even when its anonymous.

Thanks for the input. Appreciated

There are no wire conversions yet, and really are not needed. I did have to mount speaker with the terminals at the 9:00 and 3:00 position and I added foam rings on mine, so it is all about what you choose to install. I have 4 speaker installed and used Crutchfield and their rings. I had zero issues on the first order and 1 month later I bought my rear kit. Both times I received the same rings that mounted fine. You do know to do a proper install, you need to put sound deadening mat on the door before the rings and on my fronts I added a large sheet of mat to encapsulate the ring after the ring was mounted. The screws that came out of the OEM speakers were plenty long to fully screw in. Those rings are the same rings any pro installer are going to use. You will be doing the same install the pros will do, you just have not done it yet. Spent some time watch Youtube PRO speaker installers to get pointers if it makes you feel better. As for karma, it is highly illogical, but feel free, since it seems to make you feel better on your choices, as designed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I really appreciate your input and tips, seeing as you have gone first in this.
I've sent all components back for now, going to do a little more research.
I did find the connector adapters, plus an install company that makes OEM matched mount plates with foam fast rings included.
A little pricey, but if I decide to attempt again, I'll weigh the cost of parts vs the potential enjoyment benefit.

Plenty of sound matt left over, and yes, will apply it to the door(s).
Highly Illogical? Most of my life is. Keeps me & everyone else guessing. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts

Well, these speakers are going back......they don't hold a candle to my Audio Frogs. Not enough bass, mids and, too much treble coming from the tweeters and you can't kill it with adjustments on the head unit.looks like more Audi Frogs are coming my way. Ouch! $$$
Did you purchase some more audio frogs

1 - 20 of 41 Posts