Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am coming out from driving a Subaru Outback to my new Kona Limited AWD in White. So far I love it everyday I drive it more and more, dealer only had Thunder Gray and Black Ultimate and one SE so they found a mine in Oregon and had it shipped in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Cool, Konas are pretty groovy I think. I signed for mine Saturday in Salem, Oregon after 3 odd dealer experiences in the Portland area. One salesperson walked in front of my moving car while driving through their lot and another ignored me after a month of trying to find the one I wanted, so I drove to Salem and in about an hour I had the one I wanted on the way. No biggee getting it from another state. I have not purchased a new vehicle in over a decade and sure don't miss all that bull##@@.

Drive on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Kona! This platform is looking incredibly diverse, considering all the different variants that Hyundai seems to have planned for it. You have the chance to test the merits of the AWD yet? Curious what a previous Subaru owner thinks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
HKSKS,
Right around 24. Was so relieved to find a dealer willing to find and transfer the vehicle I wanted. Isn't that what its all about, buying what you want? It cost a little to have it transferred, but why buy a color or optioned vehicle that you don't really want? It only took about an hour and I'm picking it up Friday or Saturday....so looking forward to it. Yay!

Gideon, thank you for the welcome. I'm having fun on this site, have been on other vehicle sites and this is exciting because its a new model vehicle. Mine will be a FWD, SEL, Tech Pkg in surf blue. I like the black roof look and might end up painting my roof later. Weird that you can't get a black roof with the sun roof. Oh well.

Yippee Kona!

Oh, did you check out the meaning of Kona in Portugal? Its called something like Encino there. Oh my! See the Wikipedia site for Kona.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have my surf blue Ultimate for a month now. I love driving it compared to my 14 year old Subaru Forester which served me well but this is certainly more fun. I feel like I'm driving a sports car it's so responsive and easy to handle. Like MarKona I wanted a two-tone car. Not possible in this trim. I will have the roof painted and did check with the Hyundai home office to find out if I'm violating the warranty in anyway. The answer is yes, as it is now the paint on the roof is under warrantee for 3 years. If I have it repainted I violate that but truth is I trust the body shop where the work will be done and they will warrantee the work they do so I'm not losing anything. Painting is another investment and I need to part with the car a few days but it's worth it to me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have my surf blue Ultimate for a month now. I love driving it compared to my 14 year old Subaru Forester which served me well but this is certainly more fun. I feel like I'm driving a sports car it's so responsive and easy to handle. Like MarKona I wanted a two-tone car. Not possible in this trim. I will have the roof painted and did check with the Hyundai home office to find out if I'm violating the warranty in anyway. The answer is yes, as it is now the paint on the roof is under warrantee for 3 years. If I have it repainted I violate that but truth is I trust the body shop where the work will be done and they will warrantee the work they do so I'm not losing anything. Painting is another investment and I need to part with the car a few days but it's worth it to me.
Bloomdog, here's an idea for the black roof, just get it wrapped, then take it off when your lease is up......shazam!
The blue is awesome isn't it?

MarKona

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Kona! This platform is looking incredibly diverse, considering all the different variants that Hyundai seems to have planned for it. You have the chance to test the merits of the AWD yet? Curious what a previous Subaru owner thinks.
Have not had a chance yet, it will be hard to tell outside until we have rain and know how well the oem tires handle , snow will be the real challenge. I have put it through some aggressive turns and it has understeer of which I will in time have corrected.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have not had a chance yet, it will be hard to tell outside until we have rain and know how well the oem tires handle , snow will be the real challenge. I have put it through some aggressive turns and it has understeer of which I will in time have corrected.
I won't be surprised if it performs mediocre because from the start I haven't seen information suggesting the Kona to be that kind of sporty, but it sure seems to have that potential hidden in it for say.... when Hyundai wants to come out with an N Trim Version.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I won't be surprised if it performs mediocre because from the start I haven't seen information suggesting the Kona to be that kind of sporty, but it sure seems to have that potential hidden in it for say.... when Hyundai wants to come out with an N Trim Version.

I haven't seen much in that perspective either, though it does have potential and yes with the N version coming out there should be crossover parts that will fit directly. But so far with the suspension the way it now and coming from my Outback that could handle into the turns though only through mods, the ride is slightly stiff but like I mentioned which most all factory version do have either under or over-steer. In this I am looking forward to seeing swaybar and upper strut bars for this model. I am already looking into finding a tuner to get back to or above whp and other slight mods.

·
Registered
51 Posts
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNRtBvzBYS7fjlXvTuHQwDZUX_M5myhFLffZQF9

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMo0VjXzdXYT75EvaIZSTZz7LFM2ZyMf8zjFeS4

Hey there, I got mine last Friday in Salem......lots to learn on this cruiser. I'm coming from a low tech Pontiac G3 and a 1992 Festiva.....we'll call that no-tech alright? A new car feels so good the way the doors close, the ride, the power and of course, the sassy new look. Surf blue is cool. I'm glad I had a dealer that wanted to help me with locating the one I wanted. This thing is F U N!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts