Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought our 2022 Kona (Preferred) 3 weeks ago now. Overall we like the car, but getting to fully understand charging management is a steep learning curve.
One alarming surprise the first time we set to charge the vehicle (at home, level 1) was that the manual said that it would take approx. 17 hours at room temperature when charging to 100%. The dealer had told us about 24 hours so I was expecting something in that range. But the car indicated 46 hours on the dashboard, and the battery was already at about 35%, so we were a bit shocked and thought there might be something wrong with either the charger or the car. We took it back to the dealership the next day and they found nothing wrong with it, and told us that was the expected time!
After pushing back on them and some reseach on their part, it turns out the Canadian manual contains erroneous information when compared to the US manual. Quite a discrepancy in my opinion!
I'm curious to know if this is a mistake that has been there since the Kona EV has been on the market or if this is only relative to the 2022 manual? Has anyone else reported this before?

Here is a picture of the info in the manual, page 1-17.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How many kW of energy are being added in that time? From what state of charge is it starting at? With your 17 hour charge you are looking at less than 3X the stated rate of a 7.2 kW AC level 2 EVSE. In my experience with our 64 kWh Kona, the level 1 AC EVSE is almost 6X slower that a level 2 7.2 kW EVESE. It would take nearly 60 hours - SIXTY - for us to charge from 0 - 100%. I used level 1 charging for about 3 months before realizing that it simply wasn't worth the time and aggravation that it took to charge with the provided level 1 EVSE. I found that I had to find neighbourhood level 2 units every 2 weeks or so with a couple of added DC fast charges when they became necessary.

Another serious concern for level 1 charging is that you quite possibly could be drawing a high current load for periods longer than could be safely recommended for a given circuit. Our garage has but a single 15 A circuit and our Hyundai provided level 1 EVSE draws approx. 12 A, which is the max 80% recommended load for that circuit. However, that current rating for our service panel is not necessarily intended for 12 or more hours of continuous maximum load, everyday. If we missed a day or two of charging, at the tectonic pace of level 1 charging, we could never catch up on our scheduled daily needs, hence the need to seek out public level 2 or even level 3 charging options. With a 40 A level 2 EVSE, now charging is nearly an afterthought. Now, we can easily charge but once or twice a week. Now, mind you, that is with COVID changes to our limited commuting. But even when our commutes are more frequent and more distant, we'll have the piece of mind of not having to worry about 12+ hour charging sessions at level 1.

There was a certain satisfaction - for awhile - at using the provided EVSE, but I grew weary having to constantly be thinking about charging. It was rather like having one of the old Mitsubishi I-MiEVs with the tiny 16 kWh batteries that had a range of 100 km, on a really good day, but which still took 14 hours to charge. I'm really liking charging at level 2 and can't see charging at level 1 ever again unless facing a rather a dire emergency situation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the level 1 charger (the one that came with the car) it's 1.3 kW. I understand that it takes that long, it's just that the manual was very misleading. We're getting a level 2 charger installed this week, so that will no longer be an issue. I was just wondering if anybody else had noticed the discrepancy in the manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On the level 1 charger (the one that came with the car) it's 1.3 kW. I understand that it takes that long, it's just that the manual was very misleading. We're getting a level 2 charger installed this week, so that will no longer be an issue. I was just wondering if anybody else had noticed the discrepancy in the manual.
I had not noticed the discrepancy. Could it be as simple as a typo? A 37 hour level 1 charge time would be in line with a 6 hour level 2 charge time. In any event, level 1 charging is probably not very practical for most people and it may not be all that safe, depending upon the amperage of the circuit place under a constant 12 A load.

I guarantee you will really appreciate the difference between level 1 & level 2 charging. Level 2 home charging makes driving an EV much more convenient while retaining the inherent economic advantages of cheaper fuel - especially if you can take advantage of off peak rates on when you charge. It's like having a gas station in your garage that charges maybe 35¢/liter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts