Hyundai Kona Forum banner

New Owner of a 2021 Kona Limited

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  henryd198 
#1 · (Edited)
Just introducing myself to the group. I just purchased a new 2021 Kona Limited trim last week. I was originally planning on purchasing a SEL or SEL Plus model primarily because I had concerns on the relatively unknown long term reliability of Hyundai’s small turbo engines and the dual clutch, not to mention the slight increased maintenance costs on the higher end models. However after driving both the SEL plus and the Limited trims at the dealership their was no question what I wanted. The SEL plus just felt like the engine struggled a bit, especially on hills, and I noticed this before I even test drove the limited. The limited however was just fun to drive and it really seemed like it had the engine that was meant for the car. I really didn’t want to like it, but I did haha. Still slightly worried about reliability of the turbo and clutch, but Hyundai’s above average warranty puts me more at ease. Wish the limited came with a spare tire as well.

#2 ·
Welcome and congrats on the purchase. I as well recently picked up a 2021 Limited AWD and felt the same way when test driving. I originally went in with the mindset of picking up an affordable AWD vehicle and was looking at the SEL Plus but as soon as I test drove the 2 different power trains there was no question that I preferred the turbo and dual clutch. I grew up driving manuals and my last car was a 2005 RSX Type-S so I really enjoyed how sporty the Kona felt even though its technically a "Sub-compact SUV" . The warranty also puts me at ease when it comes to the turbo and DCT, just knowing I have 10 years of coverage is a good feeling. Sure I could of gone with a Honda or Toyota which make better if not some of the best engines as far as reliability but they just weren't as enjoyable of a drive in my opinion. I cant wait for us to get some winter weather here in the Pacific northwest so I can try out the AWD =)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.