Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my OCD things is that the LED running lights are phenomenal but the fog lights and regular headlights do not match the color of the DRL so I just purchased some LED fog lights 6000k which they said should match the DRL on the vehicle ! Uniform color on the front is key to me. Hear is what I purchased and I will report back after installation of these this week with some before and after pics !

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Apparently I suffer from the same OCD affliction that you do because I too am bothered by the fact that the color of the fog lights does not match the color of the headlights or DRL. I was going to switch them out to LEDs and was thinking that it would be a fairly easy job; however, when I crawled under the car I noticed a plastic cover under the entire engine compartment. Removal of the cover looks to be a bit tricky without a vehicle lift to gain access from underneath. Please share any tricks if you're able to get the cover off in an easy manner. Also, I noticed the cornering lights are halogen. I was thinking of switching them to LED, but gaining access to them appears to be impossible short of removing many other items.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did this in my driveway using a flat head screwdriver for the pin type retainers and a 10 mm rachet ! There are 10 pin type retainers and 4 bolts hold the skid plate on , the skid plate did not need to come all the way off ! My 6000k bulbs match perfectly ! Now onto the headlight bulbs

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did this in my driveway using a flat head screwdriver for the pin type retainers and a 10 mm rachet ! There are 10 pin type retainers and 4 bolts hold the skid plate on , the skid plate did not need to come all the way off ! My 6000k bulbs match perfectly ! Now onto the headlight bulbs
So did you have to remove the 10 pins and 4 bolts are was it less than that to gain access and got any photos of what underneath

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm assuming putting in LED turn lights is not worth doing -- usual fast flashing issue is likely due to such low power draw. But on road trips I keep a spare turn bulb just in case -- and while it is easy to replace on the front (amber bulb), I can't see any way into the lower assembly on the rear for the clear turn bulb (?)

·
Super Moderator
313 Posts
I dont know about others? It seems the LED I replaced in not comparable with the car's system check. The wattage is probably too low and gave me check fog lights warning. Depending on brand, it might or might not work.

The LEDS worked fine with the warning. I have second thought about replacing any other external lights with LED. No problem with the license plate lights.

·
Super Moderator
313 Posts
No. I used the Phillips H8 off my old HRV. I didn't realized at the time but the front LED headlight warning symbol also popped up along with check fog light. I think Hyundai is using CAN-bus to detect error.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good evening everyone ...

Regarding the fog light bulbs , I too had that error message come up on my dashboard also with the master light on ! As I read about the can - bus system I thought it was only on European cars , I went through three fog light bulb manufacturers and then a canbus harness for the bulbs and nothing fix the error message and I was about to give up until I found this company. Thank goodness I purchase everything through Amazon and I'm a Prime member that gives you free shipping back to the company

I just installed them tonight and there were NO
error messages and the bulbs are Cob LEDs which are amazing and they put out 6000k light to match the running LEDs ! The company is DDM TUNING .

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DDM Tuning
3.3 out of 5 stars 2 Reviews
DDM Tuning Lynx 35W LED Headlights / Foglight Bulbs,5500 Lumens/Pr, COB Chip, 6000K,Pair, 2 Months Warranty--FBA (H8/H9/H11)

·
Super Moderator
313 Posts
The main front LED lights do a great job of illuminating the road. The fogs on the Kona is not as useful as the one on my old car even with the LED fogs that gave error message. I also thought about replacing the H7s for turn assist. I don't feel like trouble shooting that either. I'll leave things as it is for now.

·
Super Moderator
313 Posts
I'm assuming putting in LED turn lights is not worth doing -- usual fast flashing issue is likely due to such low power draw. But on road trips I keep a spare turn bulb just in case -- and while it is easy to replace on the front (amber bulb), I can't see any way into the lower assembly on the rear for the clear turn bulb (?)
The access for those are inside the rear bumper. get under the car and look up the rear bumper and you"ll see them. They bulbs are mounted upright.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts