Hyundai Kona Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, that lasted a month, not even. Last week I hit a curb on a turn into a back country gas station and chipped my rim and gouged my tire.

Today, the garage door came crashing down on my trunk, I tried to catch it in time, but it's all fucked up.

Car has 2000 miles on it, I was babying it -- now I am gonna beat the crap out of this thing!!!!
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive exterior Automotive tire Grille

Registered
馃槶
I feel for you. With the accident your car did lose some value.
I got mine on 6/4. I had 300 miles within the first two days of owning the car. Since than, I鈥檝e only put another 300 miles on the car.

I am guessing I will average 3-5k mileage a year if that. We have three cars and the Saab is used most as I spend more time as a passenger to help my daughter get her driving hours required to get her license.

Well I would definitely track the car now. I am planning to track mine eventually. Maybe next year.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
馃槶
I feel for you. With the accident your car did lose some value.
I got mine on 6/4. I had 300 miles within the first two days of owning the car. Since than, I鈥檝e only put another 300 miles on the car.

I am guessing I will average 3-5k mileage a year if that. We have three cars and the Saab is used most as I spend more time as a passenger to help my daughter get her driving hours required to get her license.

Well I would definitely track the car now. I am planning to track mine eventually. Maybe next year.
I'm gonna get the back fixed. My OCD is off the charts because the car is so clean. The rim should be an easy fix, but I'll take care of that when I throw winter rims and tires on it in November.

Registered
I get oil changes every 6k miles or every 6 months. If you change it more often and don鈥檛 track the car regularly you are wasting money.
Hyundai鈥檚 recommendations for the N cars are silly. The owner鈥檚 manual suggests that I do every 3k miles based on my driving habits. I鈥檓 almost entirely certain they say that so their dealerships can make more money, there鈥檚 absolutely no need to change a street car鈥檚 oil that often. I鈥檓 personally going to do every 5k on mine, it鈥檚 what I got used to with my GTI and it seemed to work out well with that similar 4 cylinder. Plus I average only about 6,000 miles a year, so I should be able to time it so I don鈥檛 get charged extra for it鈥ince the Hyundai maintenance only covers 1 oil change per year.

Registered
Hyundai鈥檚 recommendations for the N cars are silly. The owner鈥檚 manual suggests that I do every 3k miles based on my driving habits. I鈥檓 almost entirely certain they say that so their dealerships can make more money, there鈥檚 absolutely no need to change a street car鈥檚 oil that often. I鈥檓 personally going to do every 5k on mine, it鈥檚 what I got used to with my GTI and it seemed to work out well with that similar 4 cylinder. Plus I average only about 6,000 miles a year, so I should be able to time it so I don鈥檛 get charged extra for it鈥ince the Hyundai maintenance only covers 1 oil change per year.
I did change my oil every 3k miles with my GLI throughout all 120k miles that I owned her.....as well as every other car I've owned. I'm able to feel/hear a difference every time. To me it's worth it. I understand why some people may wait longer and I'm sure that's fine also. It comes down to how you drive your car and whether or not you feel it needs it.

Registered
I thought the manual recommended every 5K miles in the serve weather condition areas with full synthetic and 7.5K if you don't drive in serve weather conditions. I drive like you on average 6-7K mileage a year. I simply do my oil changes every 6 months because the car is a direct injection; if it was multiport I would be going once a year. Because I like to ensure longevity I even use the Chevron gas fuel additive every other month for cars that are GDI and once a year for those that are multiport. I wish Hyundai would have made the N models use the smart stream system where it is both GDI and multi port to ensure that the engine doesn't get carbon build up.

Registered
I thought the manual recommended every 5K miles in the serve weather condition areas with full synthetic and 7.5K if you don't drive in serve weather conditions. I drive like you on average 6-7K mileage a year. I simply do my oil changes every 6 months because the car is a direct injection; if it was multiport I would be going once a year. Because I like to ensure longevity I even use the Chevron gas fuel additive every other month for cars that are GDI and once a year for those that are multiport. I wish Hyundai would have made the N models use the smart stream system where it is both GDI and multi port to ensure that the engine doesn't get carbon build up.
The manual recommends 5k for normal driving and lists every 3k if the car meets certain conditions鈥.which pretty much everyone other than suburban drivers in temperate drivers will meet. I want to take good care of the car, but 3k seems excessive to me, especially when Hyundai only covers one change per year. To me it seems like they鈥檙e trying to squeeze additional money out of people.

Registered
The manual recommends 5k for normal driving and lists every 3k if the car meets certain conditions鈥.which pretty much everyone other than suburban drivers in temperate drivers will meet. I want to take good care of the car, but 3k seems excessive to me, especially when Hyundai only covers one change per year. To me it seems like they鈥檙e trying to squeeze additional money out of people.
I use myhyundia.com and enter the info for my driving conditions and follow that unless 6 months comes up first. I believe for me it is around 4K mileage for the oil change for the Kona N and that is linked up to my BlueLink. I also have my local dealership use my mileage info to setup appointments or every 6 months. For me it is roughly every 3-3.5k when I get my oil change.

Prior to updating my information myhyundai.com was recommending every 7.5K mileage for the Kona N. Not sure if that is accurate or not but that is what is recommended. With today's age of technology it should provide the correct info considering it goes off the vehicle Vin#.

If I drove the Kona N more often I would probably go to around 5-7.5K. I use to change my oil every 10K on my Saab when I was averaging around 30K a year for mileage, but that has a multiport fuel injection and now it gets an oil change once a year because like my other two cars it doesn't even eclipse 7K a year for mileage.

Registered
I use myhyundia.com and enter the info for my driving conditions and follow that unless 6 months comes up first. I believe for me it is around 4K mileage for the oil change for the Kona N and that is linked up to my BlueLink. I also have my local dealership use my mileage info to setup appointments or every 6 months. For me it is roughly every 3-3.5k when I get my oil change.

Prior to updating my information myhyundai.com was recommending every 7.5K mileage for the Kona N. Not sure if that is accurate or not but that is what is recommended. With today's age of technology it should provide the correct info considering it goes off the vehicle Vin#.

If I drove the Kona N more often I would probably go to around 5-7.5K. I use to change my oil every 10K on my Saab when I was averaging around 30K a year for mileage, but that has a multiport fuel injection and now it gets an oil change once a year because like my other two cars it doesn't even eclipse 7K a year for mileage.
Do you have a performance shop near you that you can trust, or comes highly recommended? I just can't trust a dealership with giving me an honest assessment of my vehicle or service job.

Registered
Is a 60 dollar oil change too much for some of you guys? Seems like a lot of owners are hung up on basic maintenance for a car they should really like and want to take care of and it's weird to me. Idk, maybe I am a goof.

Registered
$60 where are you getting it done at? Usually it鈥檚 $75+ where I live.
Local Hyundai dealer. Was the same price at the one near my old place too. I always get it done at the dealer in the event that I need warranty work. My genesis needed a new turbo within the first 2 years of having it and a new motor 2 years ago, and having done way more frequent oil changes than required made the paper work super easy to get them approved.

Read Only
I just had my second oil change done at 8.2k miles. I agree that an oil change every 3k miles seems a bit excessive and it would be bad if Hyundai only suggested that to make a little bit more money for their dealers.

Registered
Is a 60 dollar oil change too much for some of you guys? Seems like a lot of owners are hung up on basic maintenance for a car they should really like and want to take care of and it's weird to me. Idk, maybe I am a goof.
$60 isn鈥檛 the issue鈥t鈥檚 more the principal. I don鈥檛 want to hand my money over to a dealership if I don鈥檛 have to and small expenses really build up over time. Finding ways to minimize expenses here and there can do your finances a world of good. Don鈥檛 get me wrong, I鈥檓 not a rich investor or an expert or anything鈥.but I handle the money I do make with care and find ways to maximize it pretty well. It鈥檚 one of the reasons I could afford to impulsively buy a ridiculous car 馃ぃ

I do want to do what鈥檚 best for my car. My rule with nice things I treat myself to is simple-if I鈥檓 going to own them I have a responsibility to care for them so they keep rewarding me. I鈥檓 also a guitarist and this applies to the instruments I collect too. But 3000 mile oil changes seems fishy to me, and I鈥檓 inherently skeptical of dealerships and manufacturers because their priority is maximizing their profits, not helping you.

I鈥檝e owned another high performance car before, and my dad who鈥檚 also a bit of a gearhead has owned several higher trim Audis, Saabs, and a few other things, all of which have lasted him a long time鈥nd I personally have never seen 3k oil change intervals recommended. If you drive the industry average of 12,000 miles a year (which I don鈥檛, but that鈥檚 neither here nor there) that would be 3 oil changes a year, and Hyundai would only cover one, so they鈥檇 make some nice extra money off you.

I鈥檝e been scouring the interweb and there doesn鈥檛 seem to be a consensus on whether or not the super frequent changes Hyundai recommends are really necessary, which is why I鈥檝e been discussing it here with y鈥檃ll. I鈥檝e always done my oil every 5,000 miles, which I thought was overly cautious if anything. I know plenty of folks who do it every 10k or even more and are totally fine.

To make a long story short, I鈥檓 inherently skeptical of manufacturer/dealer recommendations and don鈥檛 want to throw money away if I don鈥檛 have to. But I also want to use the 3 years of free maintenance since it comes with the car.

Registered
$60 isn鈥檛 the issue鈥t鈥檚 more the principal. I don鈥檛 want to hand my money over to a dealership if I don鈥檛 have to and small expenses really build up over time. Finding ways to minimize expenses here and there can do your finances a world of good. Don鈥檛 get me wrong, I鈥檓 not a rich investor or an expert or anything鈥.but I handle the money I do make with care and find ways to maximize it pretty well. It鈥檚 one of the reasons I could afford to impulsively buy a ridiculous car 馃ぃ

I do want to do what鈥檚 best for my car. My rule with nice things I treat myself to is simple-if I鈥檓 going to own them I have a responsibility to care for them so they keep rewarding me. I鈥檓 also a guitarist and this applies to the instruments I collect too. But 3000 mile oil changes seems fishy to me, and I鈥檓 inherently skeptical of dealerships and manufacturers because their priority is maximizing their profits, not helping you.

I鈥檝e owned another high performance car before, and my dad who鈥檚 also a bit of a gearhead has owned several higher trim Audis, Saabs, and a few other things, all of which have lasted him a long time鈥nd I personally have never seen 3k oil change intervals recommended. If you drive the industry average of 12,000 miles a year (which I don鈥檛, but that鈥檚 neither here nor there) that would be 3 oil changes a year, and Hyundai would only cover one, so they鈥檇 make some nice extra money off you.

I鈥檝e been scouring the interweb and there doesn鈥檛 seem to be a consensus on whether or not the super frequent changes Hyundai recommends are really necessary, which is why I鈥檝e been discussing it here with y鈥檃ll. I鈥檝e always done my oil every 5,000 miles, which I thought was overly cautious if anything. I know plenty of folks who do it every 10k or even more and are totally fine.

To make a long story short, I鈥檓 inherently skeptical of manufacturer/dealer recommendations and don鈥檛 want to throw money away if I don鈥檛 have to. But I also want to use the 3 years of free maintenance since it comes with the car.
MyHyundai.com states 7.5K if you drive your car in what I would call ideal conditions. In none ideal conditions your estimated recommended mileage will change. I would go every 5K or 6 months; whatever comes first because the car is GDI and should have an oil change at least every 6 months minimal. That is the same recommendation my wife got for her Subaru Ascent that is GDI and the same recommendation I got for my 1.6T Elantra.

If you do track the Kona N regularly or constantly finding yourself revving the engine to 5K+ regularly than 3K mileage again. If you drive mostly between 2-4K and even use eco mode, you may get by with 5K mileage or every 6 months.

Registered
Buy your own full synthetic oil and premium oil filter.. twice a year ( spring and fall ) ,6 months apart works. Full synthetic oil can easily do 7,500 miles or more. Mobil says up to 15,000.
Just keep your receipts to prove that you met the maintenance requirements.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts