Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just picked up my brand new Kona N a week ago. I drove 350 miles to get it from a dealer who sold it to me below MSRP. Everyone else I called was either going as high as 10k over MSRP or had no stock.

Boy - this thing is fun!! I traded in a 2018 Stelvio for this and the Kona N is so much more pleasant to drive. Been researching what some mods I can do for it and I think I am gonna Plastidip the rear Hyundai logo along with the Kona badge in gloss black. Also, the side skirt stickers to make them pop more. (Original Hyundai N-Logo Batch Emblem Set 2-piece lettering 9999Z057169 | eBay) Not sure what else, but I do know I'll need a set of winter rims/tires. Tirerack doesn't have anything but at least it's June so I have time.

Any one have any tips/tricks for this car?
Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just joined the club as well! I originally wanted an Elantra N and loved how it drove…but the stock seats felt like a park bench to me. I’m a pretty normal sized dude (about 5’10 and a little under 200) and they were way too constrictive even for me. I have to do a few road trips every year and didn’t think the Elantra N would work for them, as I wanted out of the car after about 20 minutes.

I begrudgingly looked at a Kona N as well since it had better seats and my soon to be wife was much more sold on the idea of a CUV than a sports sedan…and it turned out that it offered basically everything I loved about the Elantra N in a package that’s more useful for us. I know it’s not nearly as good performance wise, but I don’t plan on tracking my car anyway so it’s not like I’m really going to notice the slight edge the EN has on public roads anyway. Plus the EN’s styling is…an acquired taste.

So far I’m in love with it! The only tips I have are:

1). Do oil changes more frequently. The recommendation for the N cars is every 3-5000 miles. If you’re really beating on it or tracking it I’d say go on the lower end, but if you’re driving it fairly normally 5k is probably fine. But it’s a high strung powertrain, so take care of it. Plus you get 3 years of free maintenance so it won’t cost you anything.

2). Unless you’re in a temperate climate (I’m guessing by your username you aren’t) you’ll need to have a second set of tires for these. They come stock with Pirelli P Zeros, which are great but they’re a high performance summer tire. Once the temperature drops and ice/snow become part of the equation you’ll need winter tires or a good set of all seasons.

But for now, enjoy the summer tires while you’ve got em!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just joined the club as well! I originally wanted an Elantra N and loved how it drove…but the stock seats felt like a park bench to me. I’m a pretty normal sized dude (about 5’10 and a little under 200) and they were way too constrictive even for me. I have to do a few road trips every year and didn’t think the Elantra N would work for them, as I wanted out of the car after about 20 minutes.

I begrudgingly looked at a Kona N as well since it had better seats and my soon to be wife was much more sold on the idea of a CUV than a sports sedan…and it turned out that it offered basically everything I loved about the Elantra N in a package that’s more useful for us. I know it’s not nearly as good performance wise, but I don’t plan on tracking my car anyway so it’s not like I’m really going to notice the slight edge the EN has on public roads anyway. Plus the EN’s styling is…an acquired taste.

1). Do oil changes more frequently. The recommendation for the N cars is every 3-5000 miles. If you’re really beating on it or tracking it I’d say go on the lower end, but if you’re driving it fairly normally 5k is probably fine. But it’s a high strung powertrain, so take care of it. Plus you get 3 years of free maintenance so it won’t cost you anything.

2). Unless you’re in a temperate climate (I’m guessing by your username you aren’t) you’ll need to have a second set of tires for these. They come stock with Pirelli P Zeros, which are great but they’re a high performance summer tire. Once the temperature drops and ice/snow become part of the equation you’ll need winter tires or a good set of all seasons.

i recommend going 18” for snow. I got mine already and they are wrapped on Motegi mr 131 bronze.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i recommend going 18” for snow. I got mine already and they are wrapped on Motegi mr 131 bronze.
I may wind up switching to 18s in general. I knew what I was getting into so it’s not a surprise or anything, but this car rides rough even in the softest suspension setting. I feel like 18s would help overall, and as you said they’re better for snow.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I may wind up switching to 18s in general. I knew what I was getting into so it’s not a surprise or anything, but this car rides rough even in the softest suspension setting. I feel like 18s would help overall, and as you said they’re better for snow.
ECO mode it rides a bit stiffer than my wife Subaru ascent

·
Registered
141 Posts

For this car you’ll need at least 2 oil changes per year and apparently Hyundai only covers one of them per year, for 3 years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was my understanding that only 19 inch wheels will fit because of the calipers? Is it confirmed that 18's fit? If so, do either of you have exact measurements?

·
Registered
110 Posts
My N was supposed to arrive today, but it's still 400 miles away. Oh well. Hopefully by the end of the week. I'm a bit worried about the stiffness for my wife, but hope she tolerates it. She wants a zippy car, so being a little stiff comes with the territory. Just hope it's not too much. I've never driven an Ascent, so that doesn't tell me much. Ha ha. Hey guys, so how fast this car goes in 8th gear doing 2K rpm? My 2.5T 8-DCT Santa Fe does 77, so hope this car is around there. Can somebody please tell me? Just curious how relaxed it'll be on the highway. Thank you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My N was supposed to arrive today, but it's still 400 miles away. Oh well. Hopefully by the end of the week. I'm a bit worried about the stiffness for my wife, but hope she tolerates it. She wants a zippy car, so being a little stiff comes with the territory. Just hope it's not too much. I've never driven an Ascent, so that doesn't tell me much. Ha ha. Hey guys, so how fast this car goes in 8th gear doing 2K rpm? My 2.5T 8-DCT Santa Fe does 77, so hope this car is around there. Can somebody please tell me? Just curious how relaxed it'll be on the highway. Thank you.
It’s a stiff car for sure, but in the softest suspension setting it’s tolerable. You won’t confuse it for a luxury car but I doubt your wife will notice unless you point it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's really not bad. I used to have a Trailhawk jeep and that was stiff too. It depends on where you live, but I would take a bit stiffer for the performance this thing gives me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It was my understanding that only 19 inch wheels will fit because of the calipers? Is it confirmed that 18's fit? If so, do either of you have exact measurements?
All N models have the same brake calibers and the rims I bought are being used by people on their Elantra N and Veloster N as track day rims because the rim only weighs 18 lbs.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Do you have a link/pic to the ones you bought?
I bought the rims for my Elantra but before I bought them I checked out what other cars it would fit on. It should fit the Kona N as it fits both the Elantra N and Veloster N. The rim also works with the Sonata N Line and the new WRX. Of those cars only the WRX had 18” rims.
I included a photo of my Elantra with them on.

They cost $190+ per a rim.

Motegi MR131 18x8

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just by looking at the brakes of the Kona N, it's pretty obvious an 18" wheel would fit for sure. I think even a 17" one would, since I remember reading of an N owner with a 17" mini-spare. Not sure on that, but 18s for sure fit, as several owners already have 18" winter wheels/tires on them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just by looking at the brakes of the Kona N, it's pretty obvious an 18" wheel would fit for sure. I think even a 17" one would, since I remember reading of an N owner with a 17" mini-spare. Not sure on that, but 18s for sure fit, as several owners already have 18" winter wheels/tires on them.
Europe market gets 18” on their Kona.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Dont change your oil at 3K let it go to 6K you are just throwing money away. I went to 4K just being a new ride switched to redline high performance 0W30 plus 1blt of Polydyn TX7 look at the reviews on Amazon I have used it since 2005 on both my Gencoupe and SRT4 got 237K out of the Dodge. Use it in place of 1qt of oil there is vids of drivers using it on YT its liquid Teflon not like slick 50 or QMI in which the 2 don't work because the Teflon gets trapped in the oil filter.just go with a good oil and you can go to heck 6500 before a change.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My wireless charger stopped working today for no reason. I turned the car on and off a few times, and the orange light won't come on when my phone is placed on the pad. Any troubleshooting methods for this?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Apparently Elantra N owners have various issues like this as well and exhaust issues, coil pack issues etc… with this being the first N model we should expect some issues to show up.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts