Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got the same vehicle 2 days ago.It gets more looks then my 2020 stinger Gt I had about 8 months ago.I plan on getting cross drilled and vented rotors on the rear and probably a quality intake if one is available.The vehicle already is a great looking car--CUV or whatever folks classify it as.I actually like sitting higher and I can tell this is a very good performance machine and I plan on shooting some hi speed videos of its abilities soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey, may I ask what your fuel door says about grade requirement? Downloaded the 2022 Kona N manual, and couldn't find fuel grade needed. On the index, it said page '1-5', but there's no such thing. And later on section 2, it said to refer to the beginning, where there's nothing. Ha ha. Anyway, need to know if you can use regular fuel on this thing. It's for my wife, and she doesn't want to waste money on premium fuel, which is 80 cents per gallon more expensive here. And no, she's not going to get anywhere close to WOT probably ever. Ha ha. She wanted a Kona Limited or N-Line, but there are none available. Dealer sells me an upcoming red/black Kona N at MSRP ($36K+ with destination), so it's either that one, or waiting at least a month longer for one of those. I think I could sell the N for what I'll have on it (about 2.5 grand over MSRP) if she doesn't like it. She wants a small nimble SUV, so I think this one should be the ticket. I just bought a Santa Fe Calligraphy to tow my bike, and she says feels too big. She just doesn't want to pay for premium fuel to be at 1/4 throttle most of the time, and when it only gives 20/27 MPG. And my question is why so low when it's a lot lighter than my SF with the 2.5T with 280/311, which gives 22/28? Seems weird. Thanks gang.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, may I ask what your fuel door says about grade requirement? Downloaded the 2022 Kona N manual, and couldn't find fuel grade needed. On the index, it said page '1-5', but there's no such thing. And later on section 2, it said to refer to the beginning, where there's nothing. Ha ha. Anyway, need to know if you can use regular fuel on this thing. It's for my wife, and she doesn't want to waste money on premium fuel, which is 80 cents per gallon more expensive here. And no, she's not going to get anywhere close to WOT probably ever. Ha ha. She wanted a Kona Limited or N-Line, but there are none available. Dealer sells me an upcoming red/black Kona N at MSRP ($36K+ with destination), so it's either that one, or waiting at least a month longer for one of those. I think I could sell the N for what I'll have on it (about 2.5 grand over MSRP) if she doesn't like it. She wants a small nimble SUV, so I think this one should be the ticket. I just bought a Santa Fe Calligraphy to tow my bike, and she says feels too big. She just doesn't want to pay for premium fuel to be at 1/4 throttle most of the time, and when it only gives 20/27 MPG. And my question is why so low when it's a lot lighter than my SF with the 2.5T with 280/311, which gives 22/28? Seems weird. Thanks gang.
Went through the same EXACT process trying to find out which grade of fuel it takes. I'm currently waiting for my Kona N to arrive at the dealer. Should be another week or two.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My dealer just replied saying all Hyundais only require REGULAR. I hope that's correct, but haven't seen solid evidence of that. My SF Calligraphy with the 2.5T only requires regular (premium is not even recommended).

And did you have a chance to test-drive an N? Is it really stiff in normal mode, or firm but tolerable? Thx.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My dealer just replied saying all Hyundais only require REGULAR. I hope that's correct, but haven't seen solid evidence of that. My SF Calligraphy with the 2.5T only requires regular (premium is not even recommended).

And did you have a chance to test-drive an N? Is it really stiff in normal mode, or firm but tolerable? Thx.
I test drove one and selected all driving modes. I've owned many VW's and have modified all of them. One of the essential mods for me in the past has been a coilover suspension. Hence, I may be biased toward a stiffer suspension feel. However, the Kona N felt completely comfortable in all settings and I have zero issue with the ride quality. Felt smooth and comfortable around town, and tightened up when in N mode on the highway.

·
Registered
2022 kona n
5 Posts
From my owners manual “your new vehicle is designed to preform optimally using unleaded fuel having an octane number ((R+M)/2) of 87 (research octane number 91) or higher
For improved vehicle performance, premium unleaded fuel with an octane number ((R+M)/2) of 91 (research octane number 95) or higher is recommended. (Do not use methanol blended fuels.)

Notice
Using unleaded gasoline that is lower than octane number ((R+M)/2) of 91 (research octane number 95) could result in reduced engine power and increased fuel consumption”

So running regular gas is fine for her needs but I’d calculate if premium is worth it fuel economy wise (most likely not)

·
Registered
16 Posts
the Kona N felt completely comfortable in all settings and I have zero issue with the ride quality. Felt smooth and comfortable around town, and tightened up when in N mode on the highway.
Man, that's AWESOME news; thank you. We both like firm but compliant suspension, so it should be just fine the way it is. And just to make sure I'm not making assumptions, you can change every setting individually on the N screen, like exhaust sound level, revmatch aggressiveness (that's super cool), shock damping, etc, correct? That is the main selling point for me, being able to individually change every setting. Then can you record it in a 'custom' mode? That'd be even better, but as long as I can change them and they stay like that for my drive, it'd be fine with me.

A couple more questions, if you guys don't mind :). My wife showed me a video of one, and it had VENTILATED SEATS, something not mentioned at all on the specs, and something she really wanted. Does yours have them, by any chance? Or is it a Korean (or some other) market? Hope the former.

And finally, although not a big deal for us, but my wife is curious why this little pocket rocket has so low EPA mileage of 20/27, when the much heavier G70 2.0T has 21/31? I was expecting like 22/30, due to its higher drag. And how fast are you going in 8th at 2K rpm? My Santa Fe Calligraphy 2.5T does 77 with the same DCT tranny, and the G70 did 84 with their crappier (ha ha) TC (torque-converter) one. Thank you.

From my owners manual “your new vehicle is designed to preform optimally using unleaded fuel having an octane number ((R+M)/2) of 87 (research octane number 91) or higher
For improved vehicle performance, premium unleaded fuel with an octane number ((R+M)/2) of 91 (research octane number 95) or higher is recommended. (Do not use methanol blended fuels.)
Which page was that? Maybe the .pdf manual I downloaded doesn't have it. Looked everywhere. But thank you very much for confirming that. It's exactly what I expected, and what it said on the G70 3.3T. It's obvious that you lose some power with regular, since timing has to be cut a little to avoid detonation. By the way, fuel economy is actually BETTER with regular fuel, since it has more energy content than premium. That's why if you're just going to be tooling around, or the car does not recommend premium (meaning ECU doesn't adjust timing accordingly), you'd be wasting money on premium not only on the cost difference ($0.80/gallon here, which is nuts), but you'd get less mileage out of that more expensive fuel.

Thank you all for your super help. Actually more excited to drive this car than the much more expensive (and boring) G70. Ha ha. Have a great day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are two N custom settings. Those are the two you can tweak. Make one mellow, and one aggressive if you'd like. You must be in N mode in order to select which you'd like to utilize.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ooooh, those are the 2 blue buttons on the steering wheel. NICE! But you can change everything, right? You can put one with everything dialed down to the lowest, like suspension, exhaust noise, steering effort, etc., correct? And you could put the 2nd on the other extreme, like everything dialed up to the max? And you can just invoke either one by pressing the button, no? Or what did you mean my 'N mode'? Hopefully not something that prevents you from dialing down things to the minimum, which is what my wife would want, especially the suspension and exhaust valves. So no ventilated seats then? Thank you very much for your great help. Oh, and how noisy is it for the highway? Just curious if it's bearable, or better left in the garage for trips, even short ones. Thank you.

·
Registered
2022 kona n
5 Posts
Ooooh, those are the 2 blue buttons on the steering wheel. NICE! But you can change everything, right? You can put one with everything dialed down to the lowest, like suspension, exhaust noise, steering effort, etc., correct? And you could put the 2nd on the other extreme, like everything dialed up to the max? And you can just invoke either one by pressing the button, no? Or what did you mean my 'N mode'? Hopefully not something that prevents you from dialing down things to the minimum, which is what my wife would want, especially the suspension and exhaust valves. So no ventilated seats then? Thank you very much for your great help. Oh, and how noisy is it for the highway? Just curious if it's bearable, or better left in the garage for trips, even short ones. Thank you.
There’s normal n mode which is full sport plus everything then there’s 2 n customs. The way I have mine set is n custom 1 as sport plus everything but suspension on normal and n custom 2 as sport plus everything except normal on the exhaust. There’s also the 3 normal driving modes eco, normal, and sport (starts automatically in normal). Even with exhaust valve open it’s pretty quiet so highway trips would be just fine. No ventilated seats in the NA market

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you. Glad you can dial things back to normal in the N custom modes, so perfect. I'd probably do exactly what you did with custom 1, but drive it with the paddles all the time (the way I like it), since at least on my ex-Porsche PDK, sport+ meant redline shifts in auto mode, which is nuts on the streets. Also glad that it's not that bad on the highway. Are the stated EPA ratings more or less what you guys get? One thing I won't like is the range if that's the case. The little car only has like 13.2 gal, right? That's nothing. Just a little more range than my R1250R bike. So constant fueling, but maybe you need to get out anyway, no? Ha ha. On custom 2 I'd dial everything sport plus down to sport, with both suspension and exhaust in normal, so tranny could be used in auto, for the wife. The only thing I have no idea how it behaves in different modes is the e-diff, so will have to try that out. But probably leave it in the least aggressive mode everywhere, except in canyon roads, so the clutch plates don't wear out prematurely, due to constant engagement when you don't need them. The only thing I wish this car had from the G are the big Brembo brakes, but they should be fine. Hopefully it'll get here in a week :). Oh, and sad about the ventilated seats, especially when available elsewhere, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
2022 kona n
5 Posts
Thank you. Glad you can dial things back to normal in the N custom modes, so perfect. I'd probably do exactly what you did with custom 1, but drive it with the paddles all the time (the way I like it), since at least on my ex-Porsche PDK, sport+ meant redline shifts in auto mode, which is nuts on the streets. Also glad that it's not that bad on the highway. Are the stated EPA ratings more or less what you guys get? One thing I won't like is the range if that's the case. The little car only has like 13.2 gal, right? That's nothing. Just a little more range than my R1250R bike. So constant fueling, but maybe you need to get out anyway, no? Ha ha. On custom 2 I'd dial everything sport plus down to sport, with both suspension and exhaust in normal, so tranny could be used in auto, for the wife. The only thing I have no idea how it behaves in different modes is the e-diff, so will have to try that out. But probably leave it in the least aggressive mode everywhere, except in canyon roads, so the clutch plates don't wear out prematurely, due to constant engagement when you don't need them. The only thing I wish this car had from the G are the big Brembo brakes, but they should be fine. Hopefully it'll get here in a week :). Oh, and sad about the ventilated seats, especially when available elsewhere, but it is what it is.
I get slightly better fuel economy then stated. On my commute on the highway I set cruise at 110kmh (68mph~) and it says 7.2L/100km (32mpg~) in normal mode and can’t really say about around town since I drive in N mode. My average km/100km is 10.7L/100km (22mpg) and estimated range 450km (279miles). The auto in N mode won’t redline unless floored it seems like it stays 2 gears lower then if you were in normal mode (but who drives in N mode not using the paddles). Hopefully you guys love it! I’m just reaching 8k km on mine and oh boy has it been a blast

·
Registered
7 Posts
I get slightly better fuel economy then stated. On my commute on the highway I set cruise at 110kmh (68mph~) and it says 7.2L/100km (32mpg~) in normal mode and can’t really say about around town since I drive in N mode. My average km/100km is 10.7L/100km (22mpg) and estimated range 450km (279miles). The auto in N mode won’t redline unless floored it seems like it stays 2 gears lower then if you were in normal mode (but who drives in N mode not using the paddles). Hopefully you guys love it! I’m just reaching 8k km on mine and oh boy has it been a blast
My arrival date keeps getting bumped back. Ugh. :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
When it was initially? And in which city/state do you live in? Mine is supposed to arrive May 31 in El Paso, TX, but based on your input, it might get delayed too. Dealer says it's normal to get delayed like 5 days, so that's probably the earliest it'll show up, but we'll see. I also don't see any other color than freaking red. Ha ha. My wife wanted it white, but red doesn't look bad. Just hope it doesn't show everything, and that clear-coat is as thick as other colors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When it was initially? And in which city/state do you live in? Mine is supposed to arrive May 31 in El Paso, TX, but based on your input, it might get delayed too. Dealer says it's normal to get delayed like 5 days, so that's probably the earliest it'll show up, but we'll see. I also don't see any other color than freaking red. Ha ha. My wife wanted it white, but red doesn't look bad. Just hope it doesn't show everything, and that clear-coat is as thick as other colors.
Placed deposit on 5/14. Told car would arrive around 5/25. Then was told it had arrived already, but a couple days later was told they made a mistake. Then told it would arrive on 6/1. Now it look like 6/7. I'm on Long Island, NY. My color is Sonic Blue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bet they're (or were) on the same boat, and are probably at port right now, about to leave on a train, is my guess. Dealer can track them, but you need to ask for specifics. Mine was supposed to arrive the 31st, but if yours will arrive 6/7, I bet mine later than that. I think the port Hyundai uses for the mid to eastern states is NC, which is much closer to you. We'll see. Will ask my dealer to track mine on Tuesday, which is the day it was supposed to arrive. Good luck. By the way, Hyundai should provide shipping info on its window stickers, like many other manufacturers, so customers could track their own cars. Oh well.

EDIT: Does anybody know if the oil drain plug on the N is 14mm x 1.5, like most other Hyundais? Need to confirm the same thing for my new 2.5T Santa Fe Calligraphy, to order 2. Thank you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts