Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nowhere in the manual so I find what octane this thing needs other than "recommends." Did I miss anything? With some previous cars they had huge yellow stickers that made sure you knew to use 93. Does the Kona N run on anything (and yes, I realize 93 will give better results).

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
From what I read and understand from the owner's manual, the car will run fine on regular, yet they recommend premium. I've been putting in premium, but it's good to know that if I'm in a jam somewhere I can always throw in regular.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I read and understand from the owner's manual, the car will run fine on regular, yet they recommend premium. I've been putting in premium, but it's good to know that if I'm in a jam somewhere I can always throw in regular.
Thanks.. that's sort of what I understood and will top er off with 93, but just having the right information was key in my mind!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been researching about it too and this is the only thing I could find from the user manual. Looks like filling with regular 87, the computer limits KN's power judging by "Maximum boost pressure is limited to protect the engine until the fuel is identified as premium fuel". I'm taking it as "you want more power, fill it with premium" lol

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
141 Posts
My first 4K miles I only used premium. After that I used regular only and from what I can tell there’s no difference in performance, fuel economy, etc.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Biermann himself said they recommend 91 octane at minimum for the N cars. Like most modern cars, it will run fine on regular because the software in the car can pick it up and adjust accordingly, but it probably won’t give you peak performance. Whether or not you’ll be able to feel any difference largely depends on how you drive.

If you’re commuting in eco mode most of the time I doubt you’ll notice, but if you’re beating on the car every chance you get (which, IMHO, you should be, you’re paying for the extra performance and have an amazing warranty) you’ll likely notice a little less edge to the drive. My GTI was the same way…it could take regular but premium was recommended. I personally noticed a difference when I filled it with regular and only did so once.

But again, it kind of depends on how you drive. I’m personally only putting premium in my Kona N and I intend to drive it in an antisocial manner whenever I can haha.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Biermann himself said they recommend 91 octane at minimum for the N cars. Like most modern cars, it will run fine on regular because the software in the car can pick it up and adjust accordingly, but it probably won’t give you peak performance. Whether or not you’ll be able to feel any difference largely depends on how you drive.

If you’re commuting in eco mode most of the time I doubt you’ll notice, but if you’re beating on the car every chance you get (which, IMHO, you should be, you’re paying for the extra performance and have an amazing warranty) you’ll likely notice a little less edge to the drive. My GTI was the same way…it could take regular but premium was recommended. I personally noticed a difference when I filled it with regular and only did so once.

But again, it kind of depends on how you drive. I’m personally only putting premium in my Kona N and I intend to drive it in an antisocial manner whenever I can haha.
Dude, I get 12mpg, how do you think I drive? Lol.

I’m telling you, I’m at 8k miles right now and there’s no difference between premium and regular from what I can tell.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dude, I get 12mpg, how do you think I drive? Lol.

I’m telling you, I’m at 8k miles right now and there’s no difference between premium and regular from what I can tell.
I appreciate the info, perhaps I’ll be courageous enough to use regular at some point….but for now I’m going to stick to premium.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Personally I would take a bullet to the head before I'd subject my precious Kona N to Crap 87 octane fuel. Premium is what these cars deserve otherwise buy a Yugo and by 87 and don't buy one of the most amazing performance car values ever offered by a manufacturer. Personally I put 3.2 gallons of E85 and top it off with 93 octane when I fill up. This cocktail makes my Kona N run like a Tiny Dragon breathing fire. Serious Pro tip on the E85 + 93 blend. Guys it's the best mod you can do and all you have to do is search out a station that has E85. Our stock tune on these engines love this distilled corn nectar added to the 93 octane fuel. Oh yeah it also increases the Snap, Crackle, Pops too!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Personally I would take a bullet to the head before I'd subject my precious Kona N to Crap 87 octane fuel. Premium is what these cars deserve otherwise buy a Yugo and by 87 and don't buy one of the most amazing performance car values ever offered by a manufacturer. Personally I put 3.2 gallons of E85 and top it off with 93 octane when I fill up. This cocktail makes my Kona N run like a Tiny Dragon breathing fire. Serious Pro tip on the E85 + 93 blend. Guys it's the best mod you can do and all you have to do is search out a station that has E85. Our stock tune on these engines love this distilled corn nectar added to the 93 octane fuel. Oh yeah it also increases the Snap, Crackle, Pops too!!
I did a can of the VP racing unleaded octane additive to a full tank ran real good exhaust smelled great also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts