Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Haven't had the opportunity to self-evaluate the lights yet. Let you know what I think when I do.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have noticed the glare that they mention on the upper trim headlights. I'm not sure how to fix it, but I will say that is 100% better than the dozens of lifted/aftermarket/poorly aimed headlights that get behind me on a daily basis, so I'm not exactly feeling guilty about it. Also unsure how much of a factor my headlights being too glare-y is in terms of accident performance. Accident avoidance, yeah, but how the thing does when an accident is inevitable? Moot point.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
so I'm not exactly feeling guilty about it.
You shouldn't in anyway, for any reason. Be responsible for what you are able to do and are in control of, not what someone else believes or thinks. Just don't set unreasonable or irrational expectations for yourself or others.:wink:

The function of FCA can only be determined by actually checking the system function. I don't believe the dealers have a complete understanding of just how it works. So there are some genuine misconceptions of it's actual operation. There has been some discussion on the other forum regarding it's operation and there is some skepticism about it not working properly. I don't have any further information to add or to clarify the so called issue.

However, I can say, I've not found it to be malfunctioning or operative as required. Since I really don't know how or want to check it randomly, especially in traffic on a stationary vehicle or against a solid object, if you know what I mean.:grin: I think the key is here; always utilize safe braking distances and pay attention.:wink::grin:

·
Registered
116 Posts
You shouldn't in anyway, for any reason. Be responsible for what you are able to do and are in control of, not what someone else believes or thinks. Just don't set unreasonable or irrational expectations for yourself or others.:wink:

The function of FCA can only be determined by actually checking the system function. I don't believe the dealers have a complete understanding of just how it works. So there are some genuine misconceptions of it's actual operation. There has been some discussion on the other forum regarding it's operation and there is some skepticism about it not working properly. I don't have any further information to add or to clarify the so called issue.

However, I can say, I've not found it to be malfunctioning or operative as required. Since I really don't know how or want to check it randomly, especially in traffic on a stationary vehicle or against a solid object, if you know what I mean.:grin: I think the key is here; always utilize safe braking distances and pay attention.:wink::grin:
100%. The best safety feature will always be your head, feet, and hands. It blows my mind that more people don't understand that by following too close or driving aggressively, you're essentially doing the same thing as spinning around a loaded gun. There are places to drive aggressively, and they're not around any other cars, businesses, cyclists, or pedestrians.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have the SEL MODEL , and understand that rating they gave the regular Kona and their halogen bulbs ! I'm taking mine too Vegas HID Corp to install an HID kit for improved road light !

·
Registered
180 Posts
Can you get LED bulbs and just swap them in as replacements? I think the halogens on my SE are ok but I do think IIHS has a point on that subject. I'm not sure why they care about the car seat latches so much, though.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Can you get LED bulbs and just swap them in as replacements? I think the halogens on my SE are ok but I do think IIHS has a point on that subject. I'm not sure why they care about the car seat latches so much, though.

Explanation about just plug in LED bulbs - The kind you simply just use to replace the halogen bulb will not give you the same brightness/ cut off and spread pattern and high powered set that uses a igniter and ballast to power it like the limited/ultimate level has same goes for the so called HID type bulbs with the same twist in and plug.

When it comes to real LED/HID these are full kit that requires power and ground from the battery a igniter and ballast to insure the right amount of power and protection for surges.

Morimoto/ Lumawerx/ Hylux are all top brands and cost a little more but have full warranty service, So HID vs LED.

Led in most cases has not achieved the same level yet as HID.
Led bulbs do not use as much power to ignite as a HID and they do burn hotter
HID take a few sec to power up but have a brighter more lumens also the cut off is better.

If and most go with HID vs LED , either one is a plug n play one wire goes to the ground one to the pos side of battery. Routing of wiring is the tricky part also since I assume you have a dust cap to cover the halogen bulb you will have drill a small hole to run wires through and the rubber grommet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This makes so much sense now. I took a road trip through Maine over the weekend driving up after work on Friday and so many cars were flashing their high beams at me, at first I thought they were warning me of a cop, but I guess they assumed my high beams were on. Any word if they are going to modify the older ones?

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Rob do you own an Ultimate?

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
244 Posts
This makes so much sense now. I took a road trip through Maine over the weekend driving up after work on Friday and so many cars were flashing their high beams at me, at first I thought they were warning me of a cop, but I guess they assumed my high beams were on. Any word if they are going to modify the older ones?
One I would like to know how they if any changed the design or more so the LED pattern from mine Limited built in March 18 to the May version, if any gets a chance to get the real word from the Dealership.

The other point you made about people flashing is most likely and most of it being you have LED lights and still the majority of cars and trucks on the road still have Halogen bulbs so being that most individuals are use to this old school technology being less light and high cut off. Now if you want to see horribly bright compared to the Kona , the New Acura MDX's, Mercedes and other European cars you have to look down when the approach from the other side or your blinded.
So just a comparison to offer.

·
Registered
244 Posts
To bad we have fog lights or I would get these---https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-DRL-for-Hyundai-Encino-Kona-2018-2019-Daytime-Running-Light-With-Turn-Signal/263898868349?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D8bb2463d427344d29e7a75bd9cb0d31c%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D153153606501%26itm%3D263898868349&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Me too. Are you aware, your high beams automatically dip to low with on coming traffic? Its a great feature!:smile:
@pnwkona; I saw those also and just shrugged, cause they wouldn't fit.:sad: Oh well can't have everything.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
244 Posts
Me too. Are you aware, your high beams automatically dip to low with on coming traffic? Its a great feature!:smile:
@pnwkona; I saw those also and just shrugged, cause they wouldn't fit.:sad: Oh well can't have everything.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

They go in the space above the fogs in that fake looking vent cover or fog light cover. The video of them is so cool, they can change colors and go side to side. I would do it but wiring would be a challenge and then the 4 light rule maybe..

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
OOPS, you'd look like the police responding. I wonder if its legal to run them?:grin:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
41 Posts
When I went to get an oil change today I asked if they were back porting the headlight fix, they said they had never heard of the problem nor the fix. I showed them some of the articles about it and they said that if they are going to fix the older ones they will do it in the form of a formal recall.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts