Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T AWD and bought a car starter kit from MykeyPremium eager to install BUT for the Canadian models the connection box the connector plugs have to go there is a metal bracket there and prevents from getting at the plugs to disconnect them. Apparently they say it has to be cut but I can't see Hyundai doing that making it hard for any dealership to accessing them. I see 2 bolts on either side but there a slightly different shape and have like tiny stops on to nut to keep it from being turned. Would rather see if it can be properly remover or moved 1st before I try cutting it . Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Kona
90 Posts
Would it have not been easier just to purchase the car starter from your Hyundai dealer and have it installed by them? Seems like a lot of trouble to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it have not been easier just to purchase the car starter from your Hyundai dealer and have it installed by them? Seems like a lot of trouble to save a few bucks.
No you then have 2 remotes to deal with, your regular keyfob and now the starter remote and I have read that the starter doesnt have a long distance. This starter from MyKeyPremium uses the factory keyfob and ususally no prob to install its just that in Canada Hyundai has that sheild to deal with. and yes is a bit cheaper by a few Hundred $. So I dont regret it just this 1 hurdle to get over. Just reying Not to cut it would like to find out how to properly remove that guard properly. I think that cone shape is a cap thats over the nut head I need to access and will be ok. Just want to see if there is a trick to removing it

·
Registered
336 Posts
There should be a 8mm nut hiding under the cone shaped cap.
20210209_103701.jpg
Take a look at the 3rd picture in this thread.

Enjoy your very rewarding DIY (y)

·
Registered
95 Posts
At first look, my eyes see the "holding nut" that the bolt is threading into actually welded to the inner side of that metal bracket. However, if you say you see bent tabs that prevent the nut from holding, then you know what you're talking about. It is hard for my eyes to tell from the photo itself.
I am surmising the HOLES those bolts go into have 4 sides so the bolt does not turn. You remove them by only turning the NUTS. - similar to some battery lead bolts. I don't want to contradict @abjbrkt but I don't think the cone shape ending is a cap that hides a nut underneath. It is made that way to discourage any removal or it is a factory mounting thing, no room to insert a tool to hold counter.
I would say BEND back (as in Straighten) the tabs that hold the nuts, although I see that you have trouble on the left hand side - tight quarters.
Good luck, but I would say :
+1 on the DIY enjoyment wish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T AWD and bought a car starter kit from MykeyPremium eager to install BUT for the Canadian models the connection box the connector plugs have to go there is a metal bracket there and prevents from getting at the plugs to disconnect them. Apparently they say it has to be cut but I can't see Hyundai doing that making it hard for any dealership to accessing them. I see 2 bolts on either side but there a slightly different shape and have like tiny stops on to nut to keep it from being turned. Would rather see if it can be properly remover or moved 1st before I try cutting it . Any thoughts? View attachment 5099 View attachment 5101
Do you not Have Hyundai Blue Link in Canada? Its complimentary for 3 years.Remote start, car finder, etc. Remote start from yor cell phone.

·
Registered
2019 White Ultimate
266 Posts
Do you not Have Hyundai Blue Link in Canada? Its complimentary for 3 years.Remote start, car finder, etc. Remote start from yor cell phone.
I do, because I bought the ultimate. Only Ultimate in Canada gets blue link and I think it's 5 yrs here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No my model doesnt have that didnt come with a starter that was top of the line model with the leather and sunroof and I dont like leather so went with the next lower level with the 1.6T and AWD and had cloth seats. so have a starter thats plug and play and wanting to install that and in Ccanada there is that sheild by the plugs which restricts access to the plugs and want to remove it the easiest way besides cutting it so looking for ideas

·
Registered
65 Posts
They had to get that nut there somehow...

If that truly is a cap (on the right side), then can you just pull the tab holding the nut (on the left side), then twist the nut to remove?

I can't tell, but that may be the only tab holding the nut and then I agree with ChefroA6 and straighten that tab (at the bottom, currently facing the left in the photos).

Maybe the conical shaped thingy is welded to the plate? If so...then they put the washer/tab on, tighten the nut, then a small dink with a hammer will bend the tab.

This is quite interesting...

·
Registered
336 Posts
canadiandude73 have you tried to get the antitamper cap off?
Here are some pictures that will help, I use vice-grip pliers to pull them off
a hammer and 1/4" extension to put them back on.
20210217_223828.jpg
20210217_224136.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
No you then have 2 remotes to deal with, your regular keyfob and now the starter remote and I have read that the starter doesnt have a long distance. This starter from MyKeyPremium uses the factory keyfob and ususally no prob to install its just that in Canada Hyundai has that sheild to deal with. and yes is a bit cheaper by a few Hundred $. So I dont regret it just this 1 hurdle to get over. Just reying Not to cut it would like to find out how to properly remove that guard properly. I think that cone shape is a cap thats over the nut head I need to access and will be ok. Just want to see if there is a trick to removing it
I agree, factory starters are crap for range and the cellular option I have found is useless.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts