Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ultimate trim is supposed to include navigation and a heads up display. I'm wondering how well that works compared with using Android Auto with google maps.

·
Super Moderator
957 Posts
The Ultimate trim is supposed to include navigation and a heads up display. I'm wondering how well that works compared with using Android Auto with google maps.
Hyundai updates maps every 3 years I was told.. The phone gets updates constantly and will be more up to date..
My phone also has more processing power than any OEM auto Nav system.. which also seem to be slow and lagging..
IMO.. Not to mention the eco-system support you get with contacts, addresses when you use your phone..

·
Registered
164 Posts
In Aus they do annual updates = one of the incentives to force you to take it back to dealer for Hyundai servicing each year. For the Electic the annual service is fixed for 5 years @ $165/year, so might as well use it. On the other hand the map (& any vehicle software) update is pretty much the only “servicing” involved for that $165.

Navigation works okay in Aus for major cities.
Best bit = the navigation HUD is great, & directions very good.
Worst bit = doesn’t cover country areas very well. If I travel 15-20 km north from home the roads don’t exist on the display.

Is poor at covering new suburbs, but so are phone maps.

·
Super Moderator
957 Posts
Stay safe out there.. Hope these fires get under control soon..

In Aus they do annual updates = one of the incentives to force you to take it back to dealer for Hyundai servicing each year. For the Electic the annual service is fixed for 5 years @ $165/year, so might as well use it. On the other hand the map (& any vehicle software) update is pretty much the only “servicing” involved for that $165.

Navigation works okay in Aus for major cities.
Best bit = the navigation HUD is great, & directions very good.
Worst bit = doesn’t cover country areas very well. If I travel 15-20 km north from home the roads don’t exist on the display.

Is poor at covering new suburbs, but so are phone maps.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Stay safe out there.. Hope these fires get under control soon..
Thanks for your good wishes. Looking better over last few days. We even had 8 hours on 10 January when air quality dropped into healthy range (first time since mid-December) ?. But of course it then went back up ?.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for your good wishes. Looking better over last few days. We even had 8 hours on 10 January when air quality dropped into healthy range (first time since mid-December) ?. But of course it then went back up ?.
You might want to consider changing your cabin air filter early. These fires are a huge tragedy and I too commiserate. Climate change concerns are the main reason I drive an EV and I'm afraid that Australia might just be the leading edge.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You might want to consider changing your cabin air filter early. These fires are a huge tragedy and I too commiserate. Climate change concerns are the main reason I drive an EV and I'm afraid that Australia might just be the leading edge.
Thanks for your commiserations. Yeah, that’s good idea. Problem is I can’t find a HEPA filter for Kona, and ordinary filters don’t help at all with the nasty 2.5 micrometer particles (Tesla experts tell me (with glee) that all Tesla’s have HEPA filters). Best I can find is this activated charcoal one but it only filters down to 2 millimetres.

·
Super Moderator
957 Posts
Thanks for your commiserations. Yeah, that’s good idea. Problem is I can’t find a HEPA filter for Kona, and ordinary filters don’t help at all with the nasty 2.5 micrometer particles (Tesla experts tell me (with glee) that all Tesla’s have HEPA filters). Best I can find is this activated charcoal one but it only filters down to 2 millimetres.
Some can be cut to size.. Maybe thats a solution that would help you....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Back on the original topic - a word of warning about Android Auto. The 10.25" display was a factor in choosing my 2020 Kona EV Ultimate, as I use Android Auto heavily. So I was disappointed to discover that Hyundai was too lazy to size AA for the screen, but rather scrunches it into a 6.75" window.

As far as the operation, it's just normal Google Maps, and doesn't use the heads-up display. When I need turn assistance I turn voice prompts on. I like Google Maps because it's responsive to traffic. It indicates alternate routes and time savings as I go, and occasionally suggests a rerouting in the middle of a trip if traffic changes a lot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Haven’t got my Kona Electric yet, but from watching lots of the test drive type YouTube videos isn’t one of the benefits of the in car nav suppose to be assisting in finding suitable charge points? As the car knows the battery SoC and historical usage info - something other apps like Plugshare don’t know (unless you type it in).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Haven’t got my Kona Electric yet, but from watching lots of the test drive type YouTube videos isn’t one of the benefits of the in car nav suppose to be assisting in finding suitable charge points? As the car knows the battery SoC and historical usage info - something other apps like Plugshare don’t know (unless you type it in).
My nav system is well behind for the number and location of charging points because they are coming online so rapidly. Plugshare is a much better bet for finding them in the Pacific northwest. That said, I like the nav system and the heads-up display, though finding a POI (not an address) using voice commands is very hit and miss.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My nav system is well behind for the number and location of charging points because they are coming online so rapidly. Plugshare is a much better bet for finding them in the Pacific northwest. That said, I like the nav system and the heads-up display, though finding a POI (not an address) using voice commands is very hit and miss.
Maybe it’s your accent? Not enough Korean English in there perhaps.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah, having driven EV for 6 months have to agree. Hyundai only update the nav system @ annual service so new locations available to car are pretty limited. Doesn’t have the realtime updates that manufacturers like Tesla have.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Map updates must depend on where you live. In Canada I can update mine free online by removing the SD card and rewriting it with a download. I did my first update last summer and I see there's a new one available to me. If the dealer does it I have to buy a new SD card with the software preinstalled.

My first annual service in Canada was CAD$67 without a map update.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts