Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While playing with my new Kona N (haven't racked 1000 miles yet), I happened upon the N Mode screen. I noticed that the Brake Press gauge reads 1% while I am moving w/o any actual pressure on the Brake pedal. The brakes have also been a bit squeaky upon initial braking but that seems to have hone away.
Any idea why the car thinks I'm riding the brakes?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Unless your braking performance is suffering I doubt it’s anything to worry about. I think it’s way more likely that it’s an error on the electronic side than the actual brakes having an issue. Squeakiness is nothing to worry about…pretty much every N owner here experienced some level of it.

I just hit 2,000 miles and mine have stopped squeaking. It’s just part of the break in process, before you have a layer of pad dust on the rotors brakes are often pretty squeaky. It should resolve on its own over time but if it’s really annoying you you can do what’s called bedding in the brakes…which is basically when you execute a series of hard stops to try to get a better coating on the rotors. If that’s the route you want to go there are plenty of YouTube videos out there on it.

Most of all enjoy the car and try not to stress over the nitty gritty 😃 It’s designed to be driven hard and put away wet…not to mention we’ve got a 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. I don’t think you’re going to manage to do anything on public roads that’s going to overwork the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Figured the squeak would work itself out.
Weird thing about the brake pressure is that when I release the brakes while driving it will drop to 0% momentarily and then go back to 1%. Kinda hoping it will go away once the brakes wear in a little bit more.

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
984 Posts
Thanks. Figured the squeak would work itself out.
Weird thing about the brake pressure is that when I release the brakes while driving it will drop to 0% momentarily and then go back to 1%. Kinda hoping it will go away once the brakes wear in a little bit more.
Remember the pedal itself has weight, and there is a spring at the top. Letting go of the pedal will allow the spring to return to a 0% position momentarily, before gravity has an effect on the pedal. Works like the throttle body plate, which is open a few degrees even with the engine off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
While playing with my new Kona N (haven't racked 1000 miles yet), I happened upon the N Mode screen. I noticed that the Brake Press gauge reads 1% while I am moving w/o any actual pressure on the Brake pedal. The brakes have also been a bit squeaky upon initial braking but that seems to have hone away.
Any idea why the car thinks I'm riding the brakes?
Hey Robert same with my car 1% while I'm driving.I don't think is a big deal,like others said just enjoy the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Remember the pedal itself has weight, and there is a spring at the top. Letting go of the pedal will allow the spring to return to a 0% position momentarily, before gravity has an effect on the pedal. Works like the throttle body plate, which is open a few degrees even with the engine off.
Understood. It could simply be the weight of the brake pedal itself. Only thing is, the spring pulls the pedal back up (opposite direction) to its resting position after releasing the brake so I don't think it's spring tension iwould cause any pressure on the brake sensors.
Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts