Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kona N-Line AWD with Tech Package, Thunder Grey
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a 2022 Kona with 1.6L, muffler delete with stock intake. I'm planning on the Takeda® 56-70032R - Momentum® Black Cold Air Intake System but haven't gotten that far yet.

I like the sound like 75% of the time. It does however occasionally fart and maybe just a bit to loud (for my tastes), overall.

I'm wondering what muffler choices I have to go somewhere between the factory muffler sound and how I have it now with the muffler delete?

I'm looking at the flowmaster super 10, or super 40... I want to make sure I reduce some of the droning during acceleration but leave the grumbly turbo sound. I just don't want to add an aftermarket muffler and not have change enough. The super 10 is a single chamber... Will that reduce noise (from a muffler delete) or will it be very similar???

Any suggestions? Experience?

Heres a pic of my muffler delete. I have dual resonator tips btw ...
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could be wrong, but I don't think there is any difference at all from 21 to 22 with the Kona 1.6T. Sometimes website data like that takes a bit to update, especially for lower volume parts. But with that said, I have read that it will fit.

But Im not even on that part of the project right now. I just gave that for reference of what my current exhaust sound is (stock air intake and muffler delete) to see if people have helpful suggestions on an after market exhaust, especially those who have direct experience doing that on a Hyundai 1.6T.

What worked for you? Anyone?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trying to steer the chat back to muffler help.

I know for sure 2021 had the smartstream but it could have been earlier.

Regardless....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, just checked, it had the smartstream with the 1.6T starting 2020...

Anybody reading who'd like to offer a suggestion on aftermarket muffler, let me know!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've got a 2022 Kona with 1.6L, muffler delete with stock intake. I'm planning on the Takeda® 56-70032R - Momentum® Black Cold Air Intake System but haven't gotten that far yet.

I like the sound like 75% of the time. It does however occasionally fart and maybe just a bit to loud (for my tastes), overall.

I'm wondering what muffler choices I have to go somewhere between the factory muffler sound and how I have it now with the muffler delete?

I'm looking at the flowmaster super 10, or super 40... I want to make sure I reduce some of the droning during acceleration but leave the grumbly turbo sound. I just don't want to add an aftermarket muffler and not have change enough. The super 10 is a single chamber... Will that reduce noise (from a muffler delete) or will it be very similar???

Heres a pic of my muffler delete. I have dual resonator tips btw ... View attachment 7072 View attachment 7073
Flow masters may be to loud. When I had my SRT4 I did a full turbo back 3 inch setup the muffler I used was a Aero Turbine muffler nice tone no big bangs and pops or maybe check out Vortec if not check out a cherry bomb muffler.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Grnshft, I look into those.

Found this helpful video on the flowmaster range

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
411 Posts

Anybody reading who'd like to offer a suggestion on aftermarket muffler, let me know!
not about the muffler, you provided me with info i did not have previously, i didnt know my 2020 was smartstream, thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry, off topic again. But the intake will unfortunately not work on the 22. I’m currently playing the waiting game for a viable intake myself. The engines may be the same, but there are minor differences in 22. They now have MAF’s.

Besides that, I am curious what you end up going with and how it sounds. I want something throaty as well and was considering a muffler delete, but was unsure if it would be too loud/annoying on a daily.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Oh shoot so that afe intake doesn't support mounting/connections for mafs? ****, so close. Well, later anyway....

So my muffler delete is great, most of the time. The biggest thing I never realized with the stock muffler is that with the DCT, it actually down shifts and revs as it does it, as you slow down. When in sport mode that programmed rev is a bit more. And with the muffler delete, its actually really cool. Pulling up to a stop light say from 65mph to stop, and you hear all the down shifts, makes it sound like a high end sport system. I've for sure gotten looks. I didn't, and people don't expect that sound from a little Kona. But especially the down rev... I look out my window at people like "I didnt do that on purpose, it just automatically does that!" The other good part of the muffler delete is the pure roar you get when really flooring it, say from 2nd or 3rd gear up to 6th or 7th to like 65-75+ mph. Again it sounds great. Like a throaty sports tune. Also, idleing or just putting around a garage or something will produce noticable cracks and throaty feedback. That is also fun. The main problem is, when you are just driving normal, with moderate acceleration, you WILL hear a fairly consistent farty drone. But once to speed it will reduce to negligible. It's definitely a close call for me. I could leave it as is. The stock resonator and catalytic converter provide some muffling affect. It's just that the farty drone is a bit much. I think if I add an aggressive muffler I will still get all the fun parts and cut down on the farty drone. Hopefully...

I just picked up a Flowmaster 40 delta series, black. I will put it in and do some before and after sound video with the delete and with the Flowmaster.

Wish me luck! Im not gonna change it again after this! It's just too expensive to keep playing with it....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Btw, this is the dual resonator exhaust tip I have with the muffler delete and will try to keep with the Flowmaster Delta 40 series. The tip does affect sound. So if you do just a muffler delete with just a pipe sticking out it will likely be even more farty/drony, during accerlation, as I described. I didnt test that, but I do know the tips do change things a bit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh shoot so that afe intake doesn't support mounting/connections for mafs? ****, so close. Well, later anyway....

So my muffler delete is great, most of the time. The biggest thing I never realized with the stock muffler is that with the DCT, it actually down shifts and revs as it does it, as you slow down. When in sport mode that programmed rev is a bit more. And with the muffler delete, its actually really cool. Pulling up to a stop light say from 65mph to stop, and you hear all the down shifts, makes it sound like a high end sport system. I've for sure gotten looks. I didn't, and people don't expect that sound from a little Kona. But especially the down rev... I look out my window at people like "I didnt do that on purpose, it just automatically does that!" The other good part of the muffler delete is the pure roar you get when really flooring it, say from 2nd or 3rd gear up to 6th or 7th to like 65-75+ mph. Again it sounds great. Like a throaty sports tune. Also, idleing or just putting around a garage or something will produce noticable cracks and throaty feedback. That is also fun. The main problem is, when you are just driving normal, with moderate acceleration, you WILL hear a fairly consistent farty drone. But once to speed it will reduce to negligible. It's definitely a close call for me. I could leave it as is. The stock resonator and catalytic converter provide some muffling affect. It's just that the farty drone is a bit much. I think if I add an aggressive muffler I will still get all the fun parts and cut down on the farty drone. Hopefully...

I just picked up a Flowmaster 40 delta series, black. I will put it in and do some before and after sound video with the delete and with the Flowmaster.

Wish me luck! Im not gonna change it again after this! It's just too expensive to keep playing with it....
No, apparently it’s missing the ports for the sensors. I’m sure someone could diy it though.

Ya, for me I want nearly everything you describe with the delete. But I worry about it having an annoying drone sound on the highway cruising at 60-70 where long trips might get annoying. I also worry about cops. Lol. If let’s say I was next to a cop at the lights, can you still accelerate softly without making a racket and attracting attention? What about cruising at 40 and at 60-70? You said it negligible at a cruise? So not loud/annoying? Or only when you gun it? I do alot of highway, so the last thing I want is a loud drone on the highway. Lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, apparently it’s missing the ports for the sensors. I’m sure someone could diy it though.

Ya, for me I want nearly everything you describe with the delete. But I worry about it having an annoying drone sound on the highway cruising at 60-70 where long trips might get annoying. I also worry about cops. Lol. If let’s say I was next to a cop at the lights, can you still accelerate softly without making a racket and attracting attention? What about cruising at 40 and at 60-70? You said it negligible at a cruise? So not loud/annoying? Or only when you gun it? I do alot of highway, so the last thing I want is a loud drone on the highway. Lol.
Basically, the trip thing or steady speed at 60-70mph you will hear a deep farty drone tone subtly in the background. What I mean by negligible is, I can have my music up moderately and I don't hear it, at all. But it's always there! Btw there are no high frequency or cracking/ricey sounds. I don't get that at all. It's all low stuff.

I would say, get a decent aftermarket exhaust and sort of 'tune' your sound that way. It will just be that much closer to something that just 'sounds right' (even if a bit aggressive).

·
Registered
2022 Kona Limited 1.6 turbo AWD
14 Posts

Heres a pic of my muffler delete. I have dual resonator tips btw ... View attachment 7072 View attachment 7073
I have the Flowmaster 40 and added the JB4 tuner with a 2022 Kona Limited with the 1.6T and it is very smooth! No lag!! FYI the afe air intake does not work with the 2022 1.6T, I know because I tried.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I have the Flowmaster 40 and added the JB4 tuner with a 2022 Kona Limited with the 1.6T and it is very smooth! No lag!! FYI the afe air intake does not work with the 2022 1.6T, I know because I tried.
Good to know. How was setting up the JB4? One of the issues I have with the factory programming is the initial snap... Know what I'm saying? It has that slow response in first gear from stop, though it does rev and shift quickly. But I want more 'go' right at the pedal from stop. Does the JB4 help with that?

Here I go off topic again. But I all ready picked a muffler! It's in my trunk. Trying to get a shop to take me in is difficult.... catalytic converter thefts and all they are super busy...

But yea, let me know on that JB4....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
update for you guys. I finally got a hold of a place that does custom work and had a long, very educational talk with them. So, the net result of everything I learned, is that Im going to be returning the Flowmaster 40 series. I am going to put in a Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator pretty far up on the exhaust, between the catalytic converter and the stock resonator. I will leave a muffler out of the equation for this round.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts