Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there are lots of posts on doing a muffler delete on the 1.6l turbo, what about the 2.0l? I have a 2020 kona i would like to remove the big muffler and install a Valiant Ultra-Quiet resonator. Has anyone done this on this model? Pros? Cons? Help a fella out. Looking to improve the sound and possibly gain a little more power (i know likely not much more power). Would this negativley effect the back pressure of the exhaust?

·
Registered
575 Posts
So there are lots of posts on doing a muffler delete on the 1.6l turbo, what about the 2.0l? I have a 2020 kona i would like to remove the big muffler and install a Valiant Ultra-Quiet resonator. Has anyone done this on this model? Pros? Cons? Help a fella out. Looking to improve the sound and possibly gain a little more power (i know likely not much more power). Would this negativley effect the back pressure of the exhaust?
Its popular on the 1.6l, as it sounds really nice, and adding a another resonator to make it a a deeper tone is recommended, but not required. In my case, i have a Jones Turbine resonator on mine, as mine is Front wheel drive.

As for the 2.0l it should still sound pretty good. Probably not as loud because you have a greater displacement. IIRC the exhaust is 2.25", even on my 1.6t. Im posting a few pics of mine below. As for backpressure, changing out the muffler will have very little effect, as before it there are 2 cats and a resonator in the OE system. Hp/tq will be negligible, if any by the reduction of maybe some restriction. However, removing a 20lb muffler will help with weight reduction, though still not going to be noticeable accept sound.

On a side note, although exhaust tips look good on most vehicles, they seem to look out of place on the Kona, unless your making it a dual exhaust look. In my case, i used the OE exhaust end and placed it in the OE location, for more of a stock look.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its popular on the 1.6l, as it sounds really nice, and adding a another resonator to make it a a deeper tone is recommended, but not required. In my case, i have a Jones Turbine resonator on mine, as mine is Front wheel drive.

As for the 2.0l it should still sound pretty good. Probably not as loud because you have a greater displacement. IIRC the exhaust is 2.25", even on my 1.6t. Im posting a few pics of mine below. As for backpressure, changing out the muffler will have very little effect, as before it there are 2 cats and a resonator in the OE system. Hp/tq will be negligible, if any by the reduction of maybe some restriction. However, removing a 20lb muffler will help with weight reduction, though still not going to be noticeable accept sound.

On a side note, although exhaust tips look good on most vehicles, they seem to look out of place on the Kona, unless your making it a dual exhaust look. In my case, i used the OE exhaust end and placed it in the OE location, for more of a stock look.

View attachment 4626 View attachment 4627 View attachment 4628
So could i remove the muffler and put that same resonator that you have in place of it?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thanks! I will do that. Did you have to alter the hangars?
For the resonator, no. To put a pipe where the muffler was, your exhaust shop might. Mine added a new hanger for the tip. Best thing to do is talk to the shop that you want to do the work, to work out a solution within your budget.

PS: ask them to add a tab so you can add a ground wire to the pipe. I know that sounds odd, but many vehicles come with separately grounded exhaust systems as a minor performance gain. As exhaust pulses travel through the exhaust system, it builds up static electricity, which in the long run (long drives) can slow the exhaust pulses down, effectively adding back pressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts