Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
This past week end was a trip to the great state of N.H., in "normal mode", where the bear run "free" from taxes and the deer are hit by tumbling pieces of granite. I was overly impressed when arriving at the parking lot of a well nourishing, food filled fast food restaurant and realized my avg. mileage was 32.7, to my surprise, when I checked the engine, the six mice running on the elastic band had been increased by not only one, but "two" fellow speedsters, thus increasing my mouse power by a whopping 2%, which I can only surmise must have been the increase of gas usage and the decrease of avg. mileage, because I was getting a massive even 33. m.p.g. prior to this increase of neck snapping power. After being satisfyingly poisoned with fast food I switched to "sport mode" when leaving the parking lot, and zoomed on my way. The m.p.g. dropped dramatically when driving through a small town, but the responsiveness of the mice was very impressive, especially when dogging the pot holes, few as they were but still there....Eight brass monkeys from the ancient sacred crypts of Egypt...

Later,
Scrat

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've been using normal mode and for the first 10k miles I'm at 32.2 mpg, I don't use cruise control as it seems to keep it in a lower gear than needed sometimes, like uphill.

I'm gonna switch over to mostly sport mode and see if it goes down significantly or not. But from a little bit of experience the car will shift at redline whether it's in sport mode or not if you floor it and according to the mpg readout you don't gain much while cruising in normal vs sport.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello Tout, For myself I use sport mode when driving in the city only an normal mode when on the highway. It appears to me the sport mode is a bit more responsive when steering an also the grip of the car is much tighter, which I'd rather have. I'm not keen on driving in the city, mainly because of the ever presents of people darting in between cars to cross over while walking along. As far a the gas, I love the mileage, compared to the car I had prior to my Kona, the milage is great. I think city driving gets me around 27/29 an switching to normal for highway gets me 32/33, which for me is fine. As I said, which may only be my imagination, the sport mode is all around a stiffer ride yet much more responsive, for me anyway. Hope your enjoying your Kona.

Scrat

·
Registered
2019 White Ultimate
276 Posts
I'm only about 5 tanks into this car but I have found that under similar driving routes:
-Normal mode net me 8.6L/100km
-Eco mode net me 8.4L/100km

·
Registered
70 Posts
i've had mine just over a year(bought it late oct last year). 80% of my driving is in sport, the other 20% or so in eco(canadian thing), pretty much never in normal. since i am rural most of my driving is distance and not city.
summer i'm getting between 6.7-7.7(i do some city driving which kills it fast)
winter is 7.7 to 8.2
average for just over a year 8.0 since winter is sooo long here, it really ups my average.

i definitely prefer the handling of sport, the mileage difference is minimal and worth it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My wife drives it in normal and I drive it in sport, perfect compromise for us, and our MPG runs right at ~30 for a Limited FWD, almost all city speeds.
My wife drives it in normal and I drive it in sport, perfect compromise for us, and our MPG runs right at ~30 for a Limited FWD, almost all city speeds.

The m.p.g.has been pretty consistent, generally around 100 m.p.g., ?:), seriously, around 28, that's mainly because I've got a bit of a heavy foot. Overall the fuel milage has been great.

·
Super Moderator
1,182 Posts
After over a year, I decided to drive "normally" and not use sport mode, A tough habit to break.., I am averaging 37ish mpg. While impressive, I dont like the thing upshifting to high gear before 40 mph, its always 2 gears too high if you want to accelerate.. Sport mode is great but also not ideal as its lacking some programming to detect light cruising and hangs on to the gear a bit too long b4 it upshifts, IMO. I get 27- 31 mpg when using sport mode and not trying to drive for MPG

I only drive in sport mode and my mpg is pretty good about 27 over 6k miles. I do use cruise control on the hwy quite a bit to go into 7th but I like that when I cancel it shifts back to 6th.
Lately I have done a lot more city driving so I avg 25. With more hwy its about 29avg.
I cannot stand the car in normal mode so I don't care what the hit is.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
After over a year, I decided to drive "normally" and not use sport mode, A tough habit to break.., I am averaging 37ish mpg. While impressive, I dont like the thing upshifting to high gear before 40 mph, its always 2 gears too high if you want to accelerate.. Sport mode is great but also not ideal as its lacking some programming to detect light cruising and hangs on to the gear a bit too long b4 it upshifts, IMO. I get 27- 31 mpg when using sport mode and not trying to drive for MPG
I am a button pusher, I am in and out of both modes all the time. I always go back into normal mode when I get up to speed. If I am in heavy traffic and above 20mph I am in sport mode if I have to make a move. It is like driving a manual for me. I don't even notice that I do it sometimes. The printing is starting to wear off. I bet I will be the first to get that button warrantied on this site. :)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The m.p.g.has been pretty consistent, generally around 100 m.p.g., ?:), seriously, around 28, that's mainly because I've got a bit of a heavy foot. Overall the fuel milage has been great.
I am a short tripper and a heavy foot. I am in the 22 range in summer and winter it will be in the 18-19 range.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know this post is older but am I the only o e getting less than 30mpg? Highest I've had of a tank is 29 during a 4 hr highway trip ( it was over 30 on the highway) but the rest of the tank was city driving. I feel like I got a lemon for mpgs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am a short tripper and a heavy foot. I am in the 22 range in summer and winter it will be in the 18-19 range.
Didn't see your post before I posted. I'm in the same boat as you mpg wise lol. Still it's less than the advertised city mpg even when I try to get good mileage.

·
Super Moderator
1,182 Posts
If I drive in normal mode, and drive “normally”.. I can get 32-36 mpg overall for that trip..
Sport mode keeps it from upshifting to 7th gear on the DCT, so you will run higher rpms
on the hwy. Idle speed is also increased in sport mode, so that will cost you too..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Haven't driven it enough to get a feel for MPGs. We do short trips around town mostly. Only 1800 miles in just under 2 years. I also drive a Cadillac CTS-V so any mileage over single digits is great!

·
Registered
13 Posts
My experience is over 20K miles SEL 2019 2L the average for beautiful mid-New England with 20% highway 10% city driving the rest mostly typical single lane bi-directional roads round trips within speed recommendations in NORMAL mode has always been over mid 30's MPG (trips range from 35-38). Normal mode is for transportation point A to B. Sport mode for a whole trip I loose a couple mpg but also could be that in sport mode I'm looking for the increased response of a sports car. I could swear the gas pedal and braking has a shorter throw in sport mode like the JUKE? I'll look that up.

I would always be in SPORT when towing or under an in-car load no doubts the higher shift points going up hills just feel right as does the stability going down hill on a corner. I had guessed it was engine (jake-brake) but reading that the AWD might also factor in makes sense. If intentional sport=handling(AWD) then another feather in the Kona cap.

Manual shifting (for those that understand) I use when in a line of slow moving traffic as not to ride breaks and gas, as well as some in city longer downhills to hold a speed limit and top gear longer. No need for manual to screech tires that has happened in "D" a couple times and got some looks. :) I'm a big fan of the newest Mustang EV one-pedal driving suggested by some, sign me up for that but for now I'm very happy with my Kona.

We let our clothes washer and dryer tell us how to efficiently clean as does the dish washer and even vehicle cruse control is said to be more efficient. It comes down to SPORT (software program or real time) driving choices, what is in control and are we there yet?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts