Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done a real comparison on the MPG when the car is in Normal mode vs. Sport mode?

I’ve got a 2019 Ultimate FWD. It’s fun driving in Sport Mode but I try not to use it as I worry about the fuel economy trade off. What’s your guys’ experiences been?

·
Super Moderator
1,182 Posts
Anyone done a real comparison on the MPG when the car is in Normal mode vs. Sport mode?

I’ve got a 2019 Ultimate FWD. It’s fun driving in Sport Mode but I try not to use it as I worry about the fuel economy trade off. What’s your guys’ experiences been?
I use sport mode ALL the time. I haven’t done any “official” testing.. but I still get great mileage.. according to the trip meter.. I’m getting 28-32 mpg avg.. with a right heavy foot..
Don’t know how much if any, better it would be in Econ mode.. but I’m not interested in finding out.. Econ mode upshifts too early and often.. prefer less shifting and more rpm braking in everyday driving.. more enjoyable driving style in sport mode.. IMO.

·
Registered
16 Posts
oh I'm definitely burnin more in sports mode, but I also have intake and resonator and suspension upgrades +muffler delete, so I drive different. definitely a fun vehicle to drive. View attachment 2937
Oh what intake are you using? I used to have one in my Mazda3 from K&N but last I checked, they dont make one for the Kona. Or at least not yet. And Injen is supposedly gonna make one

·
Registered
70 Posts

As far as the fuel economy, obviously driving in sport mode has it's pros an cons. For myself though, the responsiveness driving in sport mode over normal is one I have a hard time resisting, fuel consumption or not, an I'm an o'l guizzer of 72.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use sport mode ALL the time. I haven’t done any “official” testing.. but I still get great mileage.. according to the trip meter.. I’m getting 28-32 mpg avg.. with a right heavy foot..
Don’t know how much if any, better it would be in Econ mode.. but I’m not interested in finding out.. Econ mode upshifts too early and often.. prefer less shifting and more rpm braking in everyday driving.. more enjoyable driving style in sport mode.. IMO.
Agree 100% with you BAD-PAPA, sport mode all the time. Stiffer ride but responsiveness is fantastic. Gas, what a'h we gonyn'ah do.... sit home and get old.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My wife drives it in normal and I drive it in sport, perfect compromise for us, and our MPG runs right at ~30 for a Limited FWD, almost all city speeds.

·
Super Moderator
568 Posts
Agree 100% with you BAD-PAPA, sport mode all the time. Stiffer ride but responsiveness is fantastic. Gas, what a'h we gonyn'ah do.... sit home and get old.
sport mode doesn't do anything to the suspensions, only the shift points.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How do you put it in econ mode?

·
Registered
238 Posts
On a dark desert highway...try an get that outta your head now. Passed a highway patrol cruiser last night (in Sport Mode), there was no chance I was getting away with this one. He pulled me over, asked a lot about the Kona, then made me get out and do a full road-side sobriety test and let me go with a warning. Cool guy, would race him given the chance. [5 star]. Oh, MGP at the time was 19. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I pulled my boat 150 miles one way with my Kona where normally we tow the boat with my wife's Rav4. We bought a new to us LivinLite tent camper so we drove 2 cars to a relatives cabin. The Rav4 gets the camper since it is a bit heavier and has a wider stance to grab air. What I noticed in the Kona AWD is Sport Mode enables some form of a percentage of AWD all the time. Like the Rav4 when you enable Sport Mode you go from 100% front drive and AWD if it senses slip to 85/15 F/R in Sport Mode that is documented from Toyota. You can really feel it with a small boat on back on the Kona. In normal mode you could feel a ever so slight strain at 65 mph and when you hit Sport Mode you carry some of the weight/load to the rear diff and if feel like no boat is on the back. Which makes sense since Sport Mode always felt more stable when coming into a corner at 70 mph and throwing into the corner .

So we must add Sport Mode adds a small percentage of full-time AWD that doesnt' click out at 35 mph like the 50/50 split "so called " locking AWD with the AWD button.

·
Registered
70 Posts
oh I'm definitely burnin more in sports mode, but I also have intake and resonator and suspension upgrades +muffler delete, so I drive different. definitely a fun vehicle to drive. View attachment 2937
Hot Hatch, jjr1947 here, Alis (Scrat) if no one has it,...anyway, I remember the days when I loved wrenching on my cars, like you do, or so it seems, but now that I'm an o'l geizer all I can do is remember those days...happy Kona to y'ah...enjoy the days while they last.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I only drive in sport mode and my mpg is pretty good about 27 over 6k miles. I do use cruise control on the hwy quite a bit to go into 7th but I like that when I cancel it shifts back to 6th.
Lately I have done a lot more city driving so I avg 25. With more hwy its about 29avg.
I cannot stand the car in normal mode so I don't care what the hit is.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Correction to my above post, 95% front 5% rear is the correct percentage for the Rav4 in Sport Mode.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Correction to my above post, 95% front 5% rear is the correct percentage for the Rav4 in Sport Mode.
Hay h4vok, just a shout out for your post. I was really impressed this past week end when returning from my sons. We were on high way for appx. an hr. and I checked the avg. m.p.g. an to my pleasant surprise I was getting an average of 31.4 Granted I wasn't in sport mode, which I generally use only when in the city, an also I was using cruise control, but it was a first for me to see this kind of fuel savings on any car I've ever had. So far, I've been extremely impressed with my Kona, an hope your enjoying yours also.

Later,
Scrat (jjr1947)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts