Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
First off if this has already been discussed I apologize but the search option isn't working for me at the moment. I've had my Ultimate since July 22nd and have been tracking all of the fillups except for the first 2 and it seems that the MPG calculation on the car's computer is always wrong. I've seen as low as 1.2 MPG higher than what I'm actually getting to as high as 6 MPG higher than what i'm actually getting. Has anyone else seen this behavior? Every fillup has been at least 1.2 MPG off and if that was always the case that would be fine, but the range I've been seeing is a bit concerning. I've got the Ultimate AWD but I haven't brought it to the dealership to have them look at it yet as I'm not too keen on working from home for them to look at a minor problem/annoyance.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Rob, everyone here has pretty well adopted a 2 mpg differential decrease from the actual trip computer readings. The dealer can't do anything about it because it's only a calculation of mpg. There is simply no way to adjust it.

Blessings and Peace

Reactions: Bad~Papa

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yeah, it's at least about a 2 mpg difference from what I'm seeing. I'm not doing an exact comparison, though, because I've not reset the main trip since I got the car and the rest is done on a trip by trip basis. All I can really go by is my manual fuel calculations, which indicate the real numbers are 2-4 mpg lower then what the computer thinks. Perhaps at some point Hyundai will do a software update?

The range estimates can vary a lot, since it seems like the range it gives you is based on what it thinks your recent MPG has been. For example, when I normally fill the car up I get a range estimate of a bit more than 400 miles. On my recent long road trip, on the other hand, I got one where it was estimating 450+ miles, but that was because the car had been thinking I was getting up around 48 MPG before that (the real numbers on that fill up were little over 41).

Range miscalculations don't bother me much. On modern cars you should fill up around 1/4 tank anyway, so that is what I follow. Running to the bottom on the tank is bad for your fuel pump and will likely shorten its life according to several mechanics I've spoken to.

·
Super Moderator
476 Posts
Only way to fix it is software update. When you get your owners survey, complaint about it. The Honda Fit had the same issue, owners complained and it was fixed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I expected like a 1 - 2 MPG difference, but 5 seems excessive. On my previous car a 2010 Prius with 210K miles I had never seen more than 2 MPG off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
For the record, our Kona Limited FWD the average calculated is 30 mpg, computer shows 33 mpg, or 3 mpg higher.

On our 2015 Santa Fe Sport turbo, the computer shows 2 mpg higher than calculated.

Please don't calculate your mileage after one or two fillups - sometimes we over fill or underfill. I use at least 5-6 fillups to get a realistic measure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts