Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some drive time in my Limited .. I’m really enjoying my new ride.. Thought I would start some tips
that might be useful to some..
I enjoy driving with the drivers window down when weather permits.. I found that just having the drivers window
Down was causing too much wind in the face, cruising along at any speed.. By cracking the rear window, drivers side, down about 3 - 4 inches or so, will significantly stop the wind buffeting in your face.. height, seat position might affect results..
YMMV .

Those with the 1.6 L turbo engines.. Always a good idea to drive easy for the last couple of minutes to allow the turbo to spool down some, allows the bearings to cool before you shut down the engine and helps avoid coking.

Hold off on full throttle or heavy loads until the oil temperature reaches normal operating temps..
Wait a few minutes AFTER water temperature reaches normal.. as oil temperature takes longer to
Reach normal temps ...

I’m old school.. based on my experiences.. $.02 worth..

Anyone else have something to add ?

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
After some drive time in my Limited .. I’m really enjoying my new ride.. Thought I would start some tips
that might be useful to some..
I enjoy driving with the drivers window down when weather permits.. I found that just having the drivers window
Down was causing too much wind in the face, cruising along at any speed.. By cracking the rear window, drivers side, down about 3 - 4 inches or so, will significantly stop the wind buffeting in your face.. height, seat position might affect results..
YMMV .

Those with the 1.6 L turbo engines.. Always a good idea to drive easy for the last couple of minutes to allow the turbo to spool down some, allows the bearings to cool before you shut down the engine and helps avoid coking.

Hold off on full throttle or heavy loads until the oil temperature reaches normal operating temps..
Wait a few minutes AFTER water temperature reaches normal.. as oil temperature takes longer to
Reach normal temps ...

I’m old school.. based on my experiences.. $.02 worth..

Anyone else have something to add ?
Thanks you for the tips!!:smile:

Bad-Papa, try the wind deflectors from Hyundai. They eliminate the buffeting no matter where your seat is positioned with just the drivers window down part or all the way. I installed them on the Kona, as we did on our Genesis G80 Ultimate and they make all the difference. You'll also find they will deflect rain from entering the opening with the window down 3"-4" also. We installed the more expensive ones. They have metal mounts and 3M tape mounting and a made of thick Lexan.

This is the Hyundai Shop, Garvey Auto out of New York. They generally will beat everyone's else's Hyundai Accessory price.

https://hyundaishop.com/hyundai-kona-rain-guards-v005/
https://hyundaishop.com/hyundai-kona-rain-guards-v011/

I'd also like to add on; the 1.6T needs to be run harder on a regular basis if you are taking short trips in heavy traffic. Make sure you take the Kona out for a blast down your favorite road under hard acceleration. It's helps to remove carbon deposits off the top of the valves of a GDI engine. I'm not advocating you break the law or posted speed limits:wink: but some hard acceleration from 10 mph to the terminal speed you decide to travel is in order and will help keep the engine cleaner.

Make sure you run Chevron Techron and Sea Foam every third or forth tank full on a regular basis. It will keep the injectors and piston tops clean and operating to their maximum efficiency.

Blessings and Peace

1 - 2 of 2 Posts