Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Does anyone else have this issue? After my 19 SE AWD sits. Next morning or after 10 hour work shift. 1st few stops there is a really loud Whistle sound. I have had cars in the past make noise 1st few stops(Cold out), Never this loud. Can hear it with the windows closed. And radio on low (6-7) volume. Goes away eventually. Thinking about asking the dealer about it.

·
Super Moderator
846 Posts
Hi all. Does anyone else have this issue? After my 19 SE AWD sits. Next morning or after 10 hour work shift. 1st few stops there is a really loud Whistle sound. I have had cars in the past make noise 1st few stops(Cold out), Never this loud. Can hear it with the windows closed. And radio on low (6-7) volume. Goes away eventually. Thinking about asking the dealer about it.
it’s not that uncommon for brakes to squeal a bit when cold, especially semi metallic pads..
if it stops after braking , it’s probably not an issue.. although.. I’m not getting any noises from cold braking or have read others mentioning it with this car.. I would take it in and follow up if it were mine.. there are metal tabs designed to hit the rotor if the pads are too low on friction material to make a squealing noise to warn you.. but that doesn’t seem right on a new Kona..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normally you would hear a Faint with the windows down. This is LOUD. Car only has 1900 or so miles. I live in NJ. This morning is about 22F outside. Dealership hours are hard. Sat they don't do Warranty Work. Emergency maybe. Probably want me to leave the car there overnight. As far as I know, Hyundai pads are Semi-Metallic. Most cars, If not all come stock with Ceramic formula.

·
Super Moderator
846 Posts
Normally you would hear a Faint with the windows down. This is LOUD. Car only has 1900 or so miles. I live in NJ. This morning is about 22F outside. Dealership hours are hard. Sat they don't do Warranty Work. Emergency maybe. Probably want me to leave the car there overnight. As far as I know, Hyundai pads are Semi-Metallic. Most cars, If not all come stock with Ceramic formula.
My other car squeals during low speed braking.. almost always and worse when cold.. I know they’re metallic, so I’m not concerned.. I tried to bed them with some rapid hard stops as suggested, it does stop the noise for awhile.. but it does return.. You might want to take the wheel off and look to see if there is anything obvious, check the rotor surfaces too for grooves and pads for even wear.. the dealer will probably resurface the rotors if you take it in for a fix..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Possibly a "sticky" caliper leaving the pad applied to rotor after last use & upon driving the rotor pushes the piston back into the caliper thus eliminating the squealing noise. If you can isolate it to a specific wheel let it sit then jack up that wheel & spin it by hand to verify noise. BTW do you use parking brake? I'm a NJ guy too!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't hear it on my way into work at 6am. Did hear it when I left at 17:30*32F). I could hear a faint Scraping sound. Front end. Went away. Maybe at 5k, When I rotate the tires, Lube the Pads and Sliders. I use a Synthetic Grease I get from Advance Auto. Made by Permatex. Its a Dk Green color. Even used it on my motorcycles.

When I posted earlier, I was running late. I meant to say that, I believe Hyundai Pads are Ceramic. Not sure. I can ask a dealer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use Permatex Disc Brake Quiet spray on the back of the pads after a light scuff up of the pad to break the glaze along w/the same caliper lube you use. I also never seize the lug bolts & rotor/wheel mating surface, eliminates corrosion from the NJ winter road treatments.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I drive the Ultimate and I experience the brakes squeaking when the pads are cold. After a few stops and the pads start to heat up they no longer squeak. I also noticed how much touchier they are when they are cold.

This happens every single day... had the car for 4 months now so there is no way I've killed the pads either.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, very "grabby" when cold.

We've just started experiencing cold mornings (Freezing at sunrise). I kinda "ride" the brake going down my driveway in the mornings and that seems to get any dirt/corrosion/dew off for less noise.

But as others have said, mine "settle down" and act normally after one good stop or slowing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
sadly mine has the squeal too on wet/cold days for the initial first few brakes. where are you guys parking them? outside i bet. we own a garage and i asked my hubby about it(i have 17k kms on my toy, 18 luxury), last year since i got it in the fall(late oct, i live in ontario), he flat out told me it was just moisture on the rotors/brakes... but if i thought it was something bad, take it to the dealer lol. sound pretty much went away as soon as dry summer days hit and i rarely heard it, and it came back this fall. if it is prolonged, happens every time you brake, and you feel a slight uneven tugging when braking, yes it could be a caliper. goes away fairly quickly? it's most likely moisture if you park outside.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts