Hyundai Kona Forum banner

looking into modding the Kona

17K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Mainia1 
#1 ·
Hello!

Since attending a car meet last year, been wanting to do some modding my Kona. Now spring is here, or about to, and work in secure for while longer, looking into all of the modding possibilities. I got a list of compatible parts for the Kona from the dealership, and visited an auto parts location in my city who gave some directions to look into. Consensus is Kona modding is rare, and much of that is mainly some aesthetics and more for offroading, that I found so far online. I am keeping my eyes on Kona N stuff, to see what some of the stuff they done for that can be done with regular Kona turbo. Also on what is done with Veloster and such can be done with the kona. All while keeping mind of the warranty.

While I am interested for exterior stuff, and Kona already stands out with the car wrap, more interested in response and handling performance. My Kona already stands out with the car wrap.

Along with this forum and other hyundai, where are good resources for looking this up? What is

Thank you!

#2 ·
For the 1.6t there are quite a few performance options for handling between lowering springs, coil overs, strut bars, sway bars, bushings, control arms, etc...

There are also Big brake kits, OE bbk's, upgraded brake hoses, slotted/drilled/dimpled rotor options, and a host of brake compounds.

There are a couple of intakes, currently Injen and AFE, A couple of exhaust setups including AFE, Borla, and JuneB.

Plus intake plenum spacers, throttle body spacers, lower torque mounts, hotside resonator deletes, a couple of reduced weight pulleys, and some upgraded internal parts that would surely void any engine/transmission warranty.

And ofcoarse there are tuning options as well.

#4 ·
Keeping this thread alive. I’m not sure aside from aesthetics if you’re not hobbying on a race track w your Kona then most of these mods are short lived in street use.
You’re hard pressed to drive the car in such a way to merit all the suspension and engine mods in city/ suburbs streets.

#6 ·
Keeping this thread alive. I’m not sure aside from aesthetics if you’re not hobbying on a race track w your Kona then most of these mods are short lived in street use.
You’re hard pressed to drive the car in such a way to merit all the suspension and engine mods in city/ suburbs streets.
WHAT? I do all the time. Short lived? Where is that thought process coming from. You sound like Mr Ken Rogers. https://duckduckgo.com/i/1508e056.jpg While is is rarer for a Kona to be modified, You go to the Civic, Veloster, Golf GTI an Golf R sites there are a ton of street race cars running around. Some 300 hp to 600 hp units running around on the street. There was some old guy who had a 900 hp Golf R running 40 lbs boost. Now that one might be short lived. But then again it had built internals so there is a very very good chance he would be good to 75,000 to 100,000 miles The 300hp to 400 hp will easily last 150,000+ miles .

If the Kona 1.6T 7 speed dual clutch did not have a clutch limitation of around give or take, 240hp, we could get our Kona's to 300 with a hybrid ported and new wheeled turbo. Once a custom clutch is avalible we can easily push our 1.6T to 300 hp+ with a hybride turbo injecters and a high flow fuel pump and a tune. There was a stock block 1.6T Elantra Sport with a manual trans and stage 2 clutch making 392 hp with the former added parts.

I am running semi solid control arm bushing, and Veloster N rear swing arm bushings, I am lowered 2 inches, Eibach lowering springs, with added spring rubbers to increase spring rate/ wider flow form rims, different struts and shocks, and other high performance parts. My Kona 1.6T AWD handles a hair better then a Golf R in race mode. But the Golf R tuned can be a reliable 370hp with ease. We can't come close to that hp unless we tune a Kona N, since those 2 are 2.0 liter cars. That wont be happen for me because it won't be AWD. I was waiting for the Kona N, but that is off the table since there is no AWD option. SO there will be more suspension work this summer for my lowered 1.6T AWD Kona.

#13 ·
Look I have a Kona N Line 1.6T AWD. I need info on suspension mods. I have had the worst luck on the roads of my city, and need something better than oem. I'm open to lowering or possibly lifting it, as I haven't decided which way to take it (street or wilderness).
I don't know where to start looking. Please, any info. Someone said Veloster-compatible parts would work?
Please, anything info wise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.