Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how many of you have read or heard about the EN owner who was pulled over for exhaust noise. I feel bad for the EN since the state did the noise test incorrectly and the officer step beyond his limit of power and now the EN owner cannot drive his car and from what I have read he is trying to sell it. Problem is the EN has 22K miles on it.

Has anyone had any issues with law enforcement with their Kona N yet? If so, how was it handled?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not sure how many of you have read or heard about the EN owner who was pulled over for exhaust noise. I feel bad for the EN since the state did the noise test incorrectly and the officer step beyond his limit of power and now the EN owner cannot drive his car and from what I have read he is trying to sell it. Problem is the EN has 22K miles on it.

Has anyone had any issues with law enforcement with their Kona N yet? If so, how was it handled?
I had read the article about that too, but I guess there's a youtube video:

The officer sounds like a complete jackass.

I haven't had any issues yet, but I usually hit eco/normal mode anytime I see police nearby just in case they decide it is too loud. Where I live an officer doesn't need a decibel reading to give a ticket, basically if they think it's too loud, you're fucked. "No decibel reading is required for court or a conviction as officers can determine if the noise is loud enough to issue a ticket."

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been keeping up on this issue since the day it was posted on Reddit; I follow the EN, VN, KN and N family Reddit post. Been trying to join the New England group that has driven around the White Mountains in early September and October. If they go in November I maybe going that weekend as my car will be winter ready by than.

I agree that the officer was rude and unprofessional. The driver was younger and that was the first time he got pulled over ever and it cost him his car. The place that tested the car requested it be tested in the loudest setting. That is not how you test a road car with variable exhaust. You test it in the setting the car has when you start it, not in any other mod.

There have been other post and issues with noise related N models. I was following someone on YouTube who had a modified VN and he had to put it back to stock and it failed in ECO and Normal mode at the testing station.

I ended up testing out my KN for decibel to see if it would fail.
ECO:80-90
Normal: 85-95
Sport: 90-100
Winter:80-90
Custom with only exhaust set to sport +: 95-105
Full Blown N: 105+

Given that the EN, KN, and VN are compact vehicles we have to see how their exhaust noise compares to the standard model. The 2020 Elantra Sport stock was 75-85 with 85 being around 5K RPMs where most test around 50% of what redline is. So most testing stations should test around 3750 for our cars.

With how the law is written in many states, police officers will over extended their power due to the fact that the N models are louder than the average compact car especially when in N mode.

My daughter who I dropped off a bunch at her school has stated more than once that even in Eco or Normal the N is fairly louder than most cars. And based on my testing it is.

I'm hoping the driver of the EN fights this, wins and gets the state to pay his legal fees.

I don't think Hyundai will do anything since the car can be operated in CA when in Normal or Eco mode.

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
999 Posts

Any modification what is not carb compliant in california is illegal. California also has the toughest laws regarding stock and modified cars. Here in North Carolina, i have no issues with wide open exhaust reaching 130db, but then again, this is nascar country.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I seen that video the cop saying the dealer would have take the N feature out of the car and cost you bucks is pure BS! The dealer cant do that unless Hyundai did a patch to remove it. The feds have to check the car out before its approved for the US. The cop should work at the mall if he wants to harass people.Whats the cop going to do if its in sport mode? Wonder how this cop handles hellcat owners or lambos and other exotics that are stock.Maybe the cop should worry more about the senseless killings instead of a car in N mode..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Any modification what is not carb compliant in california is illegal. California also has the toughest laws regarding stock and modified cars. Here in North Carolina, i have no issues with wide open exhaust reaching 130db, but then again, this is nascar country.
The same with Arizona you can run a blower tunnel ram large turbos 3 inch pipes flow masters etc.

·
Registered
110 Posts
im in tempe az , i thought you had to have a muffler per state law, but theres no limit on the noise, i have a neighbor that has a car that sounds like its a monster truck starting up each morning, really annoying
Yes you do have to have a muffler in all states in Az as long as you car passes emissions plugged into the OB2 your good to go.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes you do have to have a muffler in all states in Az as long as you car passes emissions plugged into the OB2 your good to go.
Fiat Abarth doesn’t have a muffler, SRT 4 didn’t have a muffler. Car just needs to pass emissions.

Abarth stock does 100 decibel at stock from the factory. I think if the cop has an issue, dealership should be able to issue a certificate stating the car is stock.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The sate where I live laws mirror California but not enforced like California. For instance, when California started doing emission testing, Where I live implemented something similar across the state. That lasted only a year or two because emission testing is done during our annual car inspection and auto inspections are usually completed by smaller shops without the funds to buy the equipment to complete emission testing. It caused a push back and eventually it was limited to specific counties. I don't know if those areas still do emission testing as I haven't lived in one of those counties for quite some time now.

For instance, where I live exhaust noise higher than 95 decibel is considered illegal if it is an aftermarket exhaust and not an OEM exhaust. This makes the Kona N legal as the exhaust system is stock/OEM. Many inspection shops won't pass cars with slightly loud aftermarket exhaust due to this law as the inspection shop is held liable if the driver is ticketed with an after market exhaust.

I'm just concern with this EN case as it may have complications for N models where I live if it is not resolved properly which would be the driver going after the state for not executing proper decibel level testing procedures on his EN.

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
999 Posts
Then keep your exhaust stock, or add another resonator, or don't be surprised a performance oriented vehicle is loud. All vehicles sold in the US have to pass many regulations by DOT and NTSB.

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
999 Posts
Fiat Abarth doesn’t have a muffler, SRT 4 didn’t have a muffler. Car just needs to pass emissions.

Abarth stock does 100 decibel at stock from the factory. I think if the cop has an issue, dealership should be able to issue a certificate stating the car is stock.

That is incorrect. The fiat Abarth has a muffler, but doesnt have a resonator, stock.

The SRT4 with its ratpiss engine didnt have a muffler right from the factory, it meets federal standards for noise as is due to the turbo acting to muffle engine sound.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts