Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We like to drive a stick. I know - it's un-American. But after 45 years, my husband and I both really, really hesitate to give it up. After hours of research we are now down to the VW Golf GTI (SE), which comes in a manual, or the Kona, which does not. We also want the safety features (blind spot detections, lane assist, etc.), a sunroof and a powerful engine. We drove the Kona turbo and liked how it drove but I've also read it's really slow at getting up to speed for merging onto a highway or passing. Warranty is great on both. We had a Mini Countryman All4 but are becoming snow birds and don't need AWD any longer. Plus, the Mini was great fun and a money pit. Something constantly going wrong and big ticket items at that - all post warranty. Any thoughts? Going to test drive the VW tomorrow.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've put about 2000km highway driving on my 1.6t, it has no shortage of power for passing quick or merging. You have to be more aggressive on the throttle depending on which drive mode you're in but the power is there if you want it.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
You will like the transmission in the Kona. It's smooth and precise as a manual. It's simply a DCT (dual clutch transmission) without the clutch pedal. Has all the advantages of a manual shifting and shifts more positive and quicker than a standard automatic.

The 1.6T is a great little more. It's now been tried and tested over a number of year and upgraded with a different tune for more torque output. You don't have to stand on the throttle to get the Kona moving and it's quite aggressive when you do. You'll enjoy it I'm sure.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've seen some Youtube videos where there was a manual Kona.....Australia or Canada....not sure but they're out there.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Yes, unfortunately not available in the US.

Blessings and Peace

·
Super Moderator
278 Posts
I've seen some Youtube videos where there was a manual Kona.....Australia or Canada....not sure but they're out there.
UK and Europe.

Mated to a 1.0L Petrol or 1.3L Turbo Petrol or Turbo Diesel

·
Registered
224 Posts
It's hard to know the reason, but I looked it up and hardly anyone in the US buys manuals anymore. Less than 10% of sales here anymore. Globally, in 2017 Manual was 46%, traditional automatic 32%, CVT 12%, DCT 9%.

·
Super Moderator
510 Posts
If there parents don't drive manual, chances are the kids will not know how. The only reason I'll buy manual again is if the MPG is more than auto.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Same here, most of the EPA standard rating fro and auto and manual are very close in allot of higher mileage. I'm not sure if this is coincidence or purposeful though.:wink:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
51 Posts
I leased a VW GTI until 2010, and it was my all time favorite car (I am 72 years old). I test drove a late model GTI before buying our Kona Limited FWD. The Kona is the closest thing to the GTI, 80 % of the fun without the high cost of repairs and maintenance - I do hope I won't regret saying this 5-8 years later.

·
Registered
51 Posts
With the 4 K discounts quite common on a base model VW GTI, the cost is the same as the Kona Limited, but the Kona has higher ground clearance, heated leather power seats, so I picked it over the GTI. The DCT in manual mode is an absolute joy. Gas mileage overall is 30 mpg on the cheapest 87 octane gas. 10 years 100 K powertrain warranty. What's not to love?
The Kona is our third Korean car and I was happy with the others as well, zero complaints.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts