Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own 2 of the 4 1.6L turbocharged vehicles Hyundai has to offer. A 2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo DCT & a 2017 Hyundai Tucson Night Edition both with a 1.6L-T.

I closely adhere' to the following 2 links for best performance & longevity of the car. This is for EVERYONE who has a 1.6L turbocharged engine and even for those who don't but want the best out of their car.
(regardless if you are modding or not, please read)

https://v.gd/xfm17

https://v.gd/xal17

^via Xenon Element

·
Registered
78 Posts
Uhhhh isn't Xenon a noble gas element? Really has nothing to do with turbo engines because it's used for lighting...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thought the original 2 links were broken. My mistake. :crying:
Catch cans area must IMO when it comes to turbo engines, especially after the first time I saw the gunk one collected after some miles were put in.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Not really, there is no real advantage to utilizing a catch can unless your going to increase turbo operating pressures. All you're doing is catching oil before the PCV valve. However, I will warn you regarding any modifications to the emissions system which are a big no no as per warranty specifications. Increasing turbo pressures on this engine and as will cause a void of the warranty.

Keep in mind the warning on both these pages. Almost every listed on the pages will void the factory warranty, period.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Not really, there is no real advantage to utilizing a catch can unless your going to increase turbo operating pressures. All you're doing is catching oil before the PCV valve. However, I will warn you regarding any modifications to the emissions system which are a big no no as per warranty specifications. Increasing turbo pressures on this engine and as will cause a void of the warranty.

Keep in mind the warning on both these pages. Almost every listed on the pages will void the factory warranty, period.

Catch cans are coming factory on cars now in their OEM forms, why not just solve the problem with the second injector in the intake port like Toyota/Lexus and some Fords have done. I know a few people who have new cars that put catch cans on and many have had their cars in the dealer. Most have the sealed can systems though. That style has not altered the OEM form other then having a holding can. Now having a exit to atmosphere is a whole another issue that they might no like. I was going to do it , but living in Minnesota you can have frozen hose issues and take out engine seals. I plan in my head that I will be doing my own walnut blasting in do time no matter if you have a can or not. Nature of a bad design that has a fix ONLY if the manufacture is fast enough to add the second port injector, seems like Hyundai is one of the SSSLLLOOOWWW ones.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
I agree with the second injector.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
98k miles on my 16' Veloster Turbo & 29k miles on my 17' Tucson Night Edition BOTH with NO stupid catch can & venting 3 ports to atmosphere! My warranty was never voided with any of the above modifications :)

Performing a blackstone test soon on my VT to see how things are.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Aren't you on the Hyundai Veloster N forum?

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
179 Posts
remove the rubber/plastic cowl strip where it seals to the back of the hood (good for idle & low-speed heat reduction)

NO, Don't do it. Cooling is negligable, only works at very high speeds, those above 150mph, and it hurts the aerodynamics of the vehicle, resulting in worse gas mileage, and slower acceleration. Air pressure is higher at the cowl, then in the engine bay. Removing the seal, will not evacuate hot air, but pull air from the windshield down into the engine bay, reducing the cooling efficiency of the radiator.

Cover all visible coolant tubes with DEI Titanium (aka lava) wrap

Waste of money. Rubber hoses barely radiate heat. May be hot to the touch, but air around them is usually quite cool. The biggest heat produces in the engine bay is the Turbo, the exhaust, and the radiator.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts