Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hot and humid, driving around and made a left hand turn, my wifes feet got splashed with water ! Looked further up behind glove compartment and upper left side of ductwork, was wet, probably where the coil sits. Got home searched for drain underneath. Just past the engine, before the full underbody cover panel, sits, is a small cowl piece with three 10 mm nuts holding it on. Take it off and to the right of the exhaust pipe, about five inches, is a three inch rubber hose with a 90 degree bend formed in it coming through the firewall. You cannot reach it, cannot get a hand in there. The bend will not let you push a wire up. Used a hand air gun sprayer with 8 inch extention on it. One short blast of air blew the drain clear and water ran out. Why with a car only 1 year old, and 3800 miles ! my subie took 7 years before the drain clogged ! Also the lower pan has a grommet that looks like it was for the drain hose to extend out underneath, but the factory hose is about 10 inches to short to reach it, draining the water all the time on the under carrage parts there. Add to the unhappy factor, the exhaust pipe has a flex connection by the drive shaft ! This will be a weak point to rot out first ! How many people have had a drain issue yet ?

·
Super Moderator
1,343 Posts
Had this happen before in another car.. same as described.. didn’t know until saw all the wet carpet.. had a drip tube that was clogged with mud from below..
no issues with kona as of yet.. Good to know..

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use a smooth bore nozzle & shut off on a garden hose to make sure I have an unobstructed flow of clean water from all drains especially around the fresh air intake for the cabin/heater core/AC. Then I blow them out w/a hand held electric leaf blower. Less dirt/dust=less mold/rust. On some customers cars I follow up w/ WD-40 to keep them flowing freely.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hot and humid, driving around and made a left hand turn, my wifes feet got splashed with water ! Looked further up behind glove compartment and upper left side of ductwork, was wet, probably where the coil sits. Got home searched for drain underneath. Just past the engine, before the full underbody cover panel, sits, is a small cowl piece with three 10 mm nuts holding it on. Take it off and to the right of the exhaust pipe, about five inches, is a three inch rubber hose with a 90 degree bend formed in it coming through the firewall. You cannot reach it, cannot get a hand in there. The bend will not let you push a wire up. Used a hand air gun sprayer with 8 inch extention on it. One short blast of air blew the drain clear and water ran out. Why with a car only 1 year old, and 3800 miles ! my subie took 7 years before the drain clogged ! Also the lower pan has a grommet that looks like it was for the drain hose to extend out underneath, but the factory hose is about 10 inches to short to reach it, draining the water all the time on the under carrage parts there. Add to the unhappy factor, the exhaust pipe has a flex connection by the drive shaft ! This will be a weak point to rot out first ! How many people have had a drain issue yet ?
Is your Kona a 2018 or 2019? I wonder if there are differences. Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
949 Posts
Well every 6 months i clear the sunroof drains and A/C condensation drain whether its needed or not, after a problem with my old 2002 Pontiac Sunfire. I don't take chances anymore with possible water buildup in a car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this exact same issue at 2 yrs/13,000 miles on a car with full maintenance package under a full lease plan. It created mold inside that my baby and I must have been breathing in this whole time. It cost me $300 to repair it. Hyundai doesn't seem to think it's an issue?

·
Registered
225 Posts
The other day it was Raining. Drove home (Raining still). Parked the car. About 24 hours later I go to get inside, All the windows were fogged (Inside). Have to see if i happens again? 2019 with 11,500 Miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2021 Kona has the Same issues! This is unacceptable! The hose coming outta the drain pan is Smaller than my 😂 and leaks onto exhaust 🤬

1 - 9 of 9 Posts