Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I’m in the market for a Kona Ultimate AWD. It seems there are very few available (4 in 150 mile radius). It’s a new car for me, so I want to pick the color. Sadly, there isn’t one Surf Blue Kona Ultimate AWD within 500 miles of me. The dealers all have told me they can’t order them, they just show up and the next several are Thunder Gray. Is there some kind of production issue?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi All,

I’m in the market for a Kona Ultimate AWD. It seems there are very few available (4 in 150 mile radius). It’s a new car for me, so I want to pick the color. Sadly, there isn’t one Surf Blue Kona Ultimate AWD within 500 miles of me. The dealers all have told me they can’t order them, they just show up and the next several are Thunder Gray. Is there some kind of production issue?
I was told the same thing by all the dealers we looked (8 in my area ). We couldn't even go see most of the colors, regardless of trim. We ended up with a Thunder Gray Limited, because that was what was available, and the price was excellent.

I live in SE Wisconsin so I can take a peek at MY area's local inventory for you pretty quickly, then you can decide what you want to do and how far you'd travel.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Kona availability is part production and part demand issues. Hyundai builds most of its cars in one big location in South Korea and that probably does limit production on specific models. As the Kona is sold globally, there are only so many that will show up in a given market, especially as Hyundai has other models that sell better that they presumably would rather produce. At the same time, demand has been spiking in the US. Consumer Reports recently labeled the Kona the best car in its class. On top of that, the Kona Electric is getting rave reviews and demand for that far outpaces supply. So its very possible some greater percentage of Kona production is going that direction.

Locally we have two Hyundai dealers. When I bought mine last June the dealer I went through had about 15 Kona's in all colors but the green. The other had about 10. As of today they have a total of 7 between them and they are all black or thunder gray.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi All,

I was told the same thing by all the dealers we looked (8 in my area ). We couldn't even go see most of the colors, regardless of trim. We ended up with a Thunder Gray Limited, because that was what was available, and the price was excellent.

I live in SE Wisconsin so I can take a peek at MY area's local inventory for you pretty quickly, then you can decide what you want to do and how far you'd travel.
Thanks for the offer the one Surf Blue Ultimate AWD in Wisconsin sold. It really is unfortunate that there are so few available in colors that aren’t neutral.

·
Super Moderator
823 Posts
Hi All,

My dealer had only 2 Kona's in stock when I was in for an oil change... My friend just purchased a 19 Ultimate and had to wait two weeks for them to find it in Black..
I've only seen a few of them since I bought mine last Sept.. Still a new model and the market isn't flooded with them... yet. Great little car..

·
Registered
693 Posts
I am seeing a lot more Kona's around. In fact a month ago, I saw my same car Limited or Ultimate turn into the block one down from me with a new branded dealer plate. I have not seen them since. But I am seeing them a lot more on the other side of the hwy. I saw a white SEL Kona on the way home today and had to cut in front of him race car style on a two laner because of a city saw horse used to make you not drive into a 8 inch deep 2 ft pot hole that came up right after a sweeping corner. It is the large shipments of the 19's that seemed to be showing their face.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Visited with my dealer principal this morning while they were installing the mud flaps, he said the Kona is out of production until June. He had 37 Kona's on his lot on 2/6/19, and has 3 left today, 3/19/19.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had to drive ~200 miles to pick up my Green Limited AWD. Wild colors and specific trim limit the available field by a lot. Most people aren't as adventurous and discerning, I guess...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just posted a similar thread about this. No Surf Blue Limited or Ultimate within 250 miles of me. Same for Orange and Silver. There are tons of Lime, Black, White and Thunder

·
Registered
693 Posts
Back last year when I bought my silver 2018 Kona AWD Limited, I had to ship one in from 900 miles away. I wanted only silver, so it cost me $500 extra to ship it in. There were only 2 silver Limited's within 1,000 miles at that time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts