Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new here and it is my first time posting. I have 2020 Kona SEL Plus that had 2.0 L Engine. The car started stalling, i.e., engine shuts off and the lights on the panel come up as if you are just staring the engine, back in December 2020. Engine shutting off became so pronounced that it happened every time the car comes to a slow speed. We brought it in to the dealer and dealer fixed it by replacing Cam and CVVT. The car was fine for a while.

The same problem started recuring in May 2021. At this time, the car had ~8000 miles on it. We brought it into the dealer on 6/2 and a few days later the dealer told us that they needed to replace the engine. They added that this could take up to 6 months because they needed approval from Hyundai Corporate, and there was no way to see how long it takes. Of course, they did not provide a loaner since there are 12 other people in front of me. (I realized that I was dealing with Hyundai, not Mercedes.) Anyhow, I got off the phone, and right away, wrote to Hyundai Corporate and demanded an immediate resolution. Oddly enough, Hyundai Corporate was very responsive, and I got an agent assigned right way. Unfortunately, it took a week or more since then to actually talk to the agent, but I was pleasantly surprised that I could not reach ANYONE at the dealer but I was getting email responses from Hyundai Corporate pretty much immediately.

To make a long story short, while this was going on, I did not get any calls/updates from the dealer but was talking to Hyundai Corporate and getting the update. Actually, Hyundai Corporate reimburses you for $38/day for rental cars, which the dealer did not mention.

Anyhow, up until yesterday 6/27, I thought that the dealer was waiting from Hyundai Corporate for its approval for replacing the engine, and then I got a call from the dealer out of the blue for the first time since I dropped the car off on 6/2 that the car is ready and is ready to be picked up. They claim that they have already replaced the engine, which I found out from the agent from Hyundai Corporate that she was NOT aware. (I am surprised and confused as to what is going on)

My question and advice I seeking is this: did anyone go through a similar experience where they dealt with Hyundai Corporate for a car where defect is this severe and almost like a lemon? Also, if anyone has successfully negotiated with Hyundai Corporate for a replacement car after going through a similar situation and he/she does not feel all that confident on the future performance of the car?

Also, any comment or advice would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You may have just been dealing with a crappy service department. I just had my engine replaced as well. Dropped the car off April 14th and engine arrived June 11th. I had my car back about a week later. Granted my car was dropped off before the recall came out so I may have had a jump on it. I thought about getting o ur of it due to lemon law but with the prices of cars and limited availability it just didn’t seem worth it to me. Sorry you had to go through that my friend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may have just been dealing with a crappy service department. I just had my engine replaced as well. Dropped the car off April 14th and engine arrived June 11th. I had my car back about a week later. Granted my car was dropped off before the recall came out so I may have had a jump on it. I thought about getting o ur of it due to lemon law but with the prices of cars and limited availability it just didn’t seem worth it to me. Sorry you had to go through that my friend.
Thanks for your post. How has the car been performing since you picked it up? My concern is if the same problem shows up again down the road when I don’t have the options that I have now. Of course, nobody knows, but I am not sure if I should go through the hassle now so that I don’t have to later on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for your post. How has the car been performing since you picked it up? My concern is if the same problem shows up again down the road when I don’t have the options that I have now. Of course, nobody knows, but I am not sure if I should go through the hassle now so that I don’t have to later on.
It’s been running great. I’m a little paranoid and keep turning the radio down to check for every noise. The new engine will still be under warranty for quite some time but my dealers stands behind it for 12 months as well so not overly concerned

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new here and it is my first time posting. I have 2020 Kona SEL Plus that had 2.0 L Engine. The car started stalling, i.e., engine shuts off and the lights on the panel come up as if you are just staring the engine, back in December 2020. Engine shutting off became so pronounced that it happened every time the car comes to a slow speed. We brought it in to the dealer and dealer fixed it by replacing Cam and CVVT. The car was fine for a while.

The same problem started recuring in May 2021. At this time, the car had ~8000 miles on it. We brought it into the dealer on 6/2 and a few days later the dealer told us that they needed to replace the engine. They added that this could take up to 6 months because they needed approval from Hyundai Corporate, and there was no way to see how long it takes. Of course, they did not provide a loaner since there are 12 other people in front of me. (I realized that I was dealing with Hyundai, not Mercedes.) Anyhow, I got off the phone, and right away, wrote to Hyundai Corporate and demanded an immediate resolution. Oddly enough, Hyundai Corporate was very responsive, and I got an agent assigned right way. Unfortunately, it took a week or more since then to actually talk to the agent, but I was pleasantly surprised that I could not reach ANYONE at the dealer but I was getting email responses from Hyundai Corporate pretty much immediately.

To make a long story short, while this was going on, I did not get any calls/updates from the dealer but was talking to Hyundai Corporate and getting the update. Actually, Hyundai Corporate reimburses you for $38/day for rental cars, which the dealer did not mention.

Anyhow, up until yesterday 6/27, I thought that the dealer was waiting from Hyundai Corporate for its approval for replacing the engine, and then I got a call from the dealer out of the blue for the first time since I dropped the car off on 6/2 that the car is ready and is ready to be picked up. They claim that they have already replaced the engine, which I found out from the agent from Hyundai Corporate that she was NOT aware. (I am surprised and confused as to what is going on)

My question and advice I seeking is this: did anyone go through a similar experience where they dealt with Hyundai Corporate for a car where defect is this severe and almost like a lemon? Also, if anyone has successfully negotiated with Hyundai Corporate for a replacement car after going through a similar situation and he/she does not feel all that confident on the future performance of the car?

I just got a recall notice from Hyundai reporting they over hardened the rings on the cars and so there is going to be a major recall for all 2019-2021 Kona's. It also had a' hold on until were figure this out' disclaimer but I suspect your one of many - I am also concerned and will be following it more closely

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got my notification of the recall a couple of days ago, and I am NOT happy! I paid a lot for this car, and have a lot more to pay on it. I'm thinking of how to get out of it, I feel Hyundai should be required to buy these cars back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got my notification of the recall a couple of days ago, and I am NOT happy! I paid a lot for this car, and have a lot more to pay on it. I'm thinking of how to get out of it, I feel Hyundai should be required to buy these cars back.
Kona is not the only car involved. We found out about this over a month ago and just got the letter today. Elantra, Veloster, and Kona with Nu 2.0 engines are all involved. In total, 147,000 vehicles are involved. Way too many to be bought back. I'm watching very closely to see what happens when the lawsuits start popping up.

We honestly don't know what to do. My wife's 2019 has 1,600 miles on it due to Covid. She's paranoid about driving it and I'm worried that it will have a problem behind the wheel. Now that the letters are out, these things are going to be worth less than a rock.

If anyone knows anything about engines, the problem that Hyundai faces is once a ring fails, the engine, and especially the block are trash. I doubt Hyundai is going to go into the rebuilding business and boring these motors out like you normally would - if the damage is less than 0.030 - 0.060, assuming these motors can be bored out.

Open to thoughts and suggestions and please notify me when the class action suit starts up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know why you say too many to be bought back, Volkswagen bought back many many more than this! The car now has diminished value in my opinion-you want to buy mine? I doubt it. Hyundai needs to own up on this and do the right thing!

·
Registered
2 Posts
It won’t just blow up, but driving 4 days cross country might not help. Hyundai sent me a notice and said they were working out solutions, but an engine rebuild is allot of work and a replacement can be a bit sketchy, so it’s up to them to figure it out. I am going to use the car as a normal way I would and wait to see what they do. To the point above, Volkswagen bought back millions of cars, that was for being misleading, not even a faulty engine, etc. I am covered either way, drive train warranty or recall
Think positive, it’sa hale but it will get fixed not the word is out the company has to address it

·
Registered
3 Posts
It may not "blow up", but it could lead to a catastrophic engine failure, by Hyundai's own admission. I too will continue to use mine as normal, I have to, I have no other choice. This will include trips between Florida and Virginia. If it experiences an engine failure I will mail the keys to the bank and tell them where to find the car. I'm pissed. Our cars have severely diminished value because of this. Someone mentioned Hyundai will cover $38/day for a rental, LOL, have you tried to rent a car lately? I do a lot on business travel. cars are $75-100 a day right now IF YOU CAN FIND ONE. Hyundai needs to offer us new car replacements or buy them back. Period. Can't wait for the class action lawsuit.

·
Super Moderator
1,285 Posts
Most people thought the 1.6T would be problematic.. Seems the 2.0 engine Is related more to Kia’s 2.4 engine problems. The 2.4 engine had issues with rings and crank bearings Since it’s inception back a decade or more ago.. These SAME issues are still showing up in NEW cars with the same theta engine design ! Seems like it must be more than badly produced rings.. No excuse for his length of time !!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2020 Kona towed in 10 days ago. My daughter was driving and car died out, eventually restarted but trip from he'll on Jersey Turnpike. Towed to closest Hyundai dealership August 2 on Long Island. Still not officially diagnosed, but they feel its the piston ring issue. Experienced same b.s. as others about being next on list for loaner. Was told they would " probably" pay for rental, but after calling for case number, was told 7-10 days just for callback. Rental $800 per week, can't lay out that kind of money to find out maybe they'll give me $35 back daily. Horrible situation, don't even want car back. Would rather have lease terminated with 2/3 deposit given back as I've had car exactly one year, and move on. Feeling it won't be that easy. Hyundai won't survive reputational hit.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I'll get back to you in a few days as I'm trying to work out my problems with the 2021 KONA SEL with the recalled 2.0 ENGINE ???

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have very similar experience.

Mine is 2020 Kona SEL Plus AWD. Part of piston ring recall but was told that it is not impacted. Few days back, I has issues with car stalling (pattern that I saw was in low speed and when I would step off the gas). Two days later, got same message. Bluelink sent email/ my hyundai app shows P036600 then P001100.
When went in for a check(11/19), was told that engine needs replacement. Today dealer confirmed that they got the approval to replace. Replacement can take 2-3 weeks. I am getting a rental car (Hyundai pays $35, I pay the rest)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts