Hyundai Kona Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
I haven’t received anything, but my car isn’t showing up as being recalled in Hyundai or the NHTSA’s databases.
Not me but had my tranny fluid changed at 22K just wanted to make sure there was no metal shavings in there. The tech put down that the tranny was under a recall be great if they give us new transmissions.but there would be one heck of a waiting list.

· Registered
118 Posts
I received my letter from Hyundai today saying my Kona n is recalled and they said a follow up letter with the date and place to fix it is coming soon
Good to hear I bought mine from a small dealer outside of Phoenix so I don't think there will be a long waiting time a limp mode software patch is OK but if the pumps are going out that's a whole different story and Hyundai why an electric pump in the tranny?

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Good to hear I bought mine from a small dealer outside of Phoenix so I don't think there will be a long waiting time a limp mode software patch is OK but if the pumps are going out that's a whole different story and Hyundai why an electric pump in the tranny?
Got my letter in and not too worried. If any fix occurs it would be fixing the limp mode.

As for fixing the pump, not sure how it will be done. I rather just get a new transmission.

Speaking of recalls. My wife Ascent just got a new one and apparently it is a hot one, as the engine can catch on fire after running for a while and cause some serious damage. Apparently someone who owns one has had their house burned down by their Ascent. We got notified not to store the Ascent in the garage any more. And there is no fix for this issue presently. WTF...

I rather have 30 seconds of gimp mode than than restart the car and hope everything is ok than see my house burn down by my wife car.

It looks like I get to rely on the good old Saab until both of my new cars can be fixed. LOL... I find it funny that I have to rely on a car that is 16+ years old when I have two cars that are both 2019 or newer sitting waiting to be fixed.

· Registered
40 Posts
I received my letter from Hyundai today saying my Kona n is recalled and they said a follow up letter with the date and place to fix it is coming soon
i got the same letter, and my vin # ends in 3281.
as it turns out, i was at dealer to set up appt.
horn not working, they said it is factory installed with wire connected on top, which lets water in and shorts out the horn. have to take bumper off! and put in new horn with the wire connection on the bottom, to keep water out.
news to me, they have to remove the front bumper to replace the horn !

meanwhile, news of the 2024 kona came out, for sale in 2023, and based on the slightly larger kia steltos version of the platform. meaning, Bayon/Sportage type outside and inside styling, and 2" more wheelbase and rear leg room.

· Registered
118 Posts
Seen on You Tube a guy went to the dealer and got the software update for his Kona N. He said it stops the limp mode shut down and lets you drive the car so you can pull off the side of the road he said the TCU is updated..

· Registered
40 Posts
Seen on You Tube a guy went to the dealer and got the software update for his Kona N. He said it stops the limp mode shut down and lets you drive the car so you can pull off the side of the road he said the TCU is updated..
they updated the tcu on mine.
given what the N costs, the only two options are to replace the oil pump or the entire transmission. either way, we already paid for it when we bought the vehicle . 🤔🧐🤑

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I called my dealership this past Friday and they told there was no fix for the DCT. On Saturday I got a notice saying that the DCT fix is now available at your dealership and call to get the vehicle serviced. LOL... I'm sure the dealership had the info when I called on Friday but simply didn't have the man hours to deal with the recall. I called again today and got the same response. I called another and they told me it was available. I just don't want to drive 2+ hours to get this resolved. I mean it is a fairly straight forward update to the TCU.

Hyundai hasn't resolved the underlying issue with this and that to me is a bigger concern.

Hyundai should provide those impacted by this recall a lifetime powertrain warranty for the original owner.

· Registered
40 Posts
I called my dealership this past Friday and they told there was no fix for the DCT. On Saturday I got a notice saying that the DCT fix is now available at your dealership and call to get the vehicle serviced. LOL... I'm sure the dealership had the info when I called on Friday but simply didn't have the man hours to deal with the recall. I called again today and got the same response. I called another and they told me it was available. I just don't want to drive 2+ hours to get this resolved. I mean it is a fairly straight forward update to the TCU.

Hyundai hasn't resolved the underlying issue with this and that to me is a bigger concern.

Hyundai should provide those impacted by this recall a lifetime powertrain warranty for the original owner.
the tcu update deals with limp mode.
the ones with oil pump defect either get new pump or new tranny.

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
date deals with limp mode.
the ones with oil pump defect either get new pump or new tranny.
The TCU update is for the oil pump so if you go into LIMP you are not placed into a dangerous situation. If the car never goes into LIMP mode than hopefully there is nothing wrong with the pump.

Hyundai really needs to improve their QC.

· Registered
40 Posts
The TCU update is for the oil pump so if you go into LIMP you are not placed into a dangerous situation. If the car never goes into LIMP mode than hopefully there is nothing wrong with the pump.

Hyundai really needs to improve their QC.
the NHTSA may have something to say about that....as for QC, no matter how good it is, it will never be 100% perfect in any mass production product. unlike other brands, you do have the 10yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty .

· Registered
28 Posts
Not sure if everyone affected is receiving an email from Hyundai, but below are some of the cliff notes of what I received the other day:

What will Hyundai do?
Your Hyundai dealer will reprogram the transmission unit with updated software that provides proper "fail-safe" limited-mobility driving capability. Your Hyundai dealer will also inspect the transmission and replace it, if necessary. This procedure will be performed at
NO CHARGE.
To ensure your safety and the quality of your vehicle, please schedule an appointment with a Hyundai dealer as soon as possible to complete the remedy procedure.
What is the problem?
When prompted by a transmission high-pressure electric oil pump malfunction while driving, the vehicle’s “fail-safe” limited-mobility drive mode may be impaired, resulting in illumination of multiple warning lights and approximately 20 – 30 seconds of normal drive power, followed by a complete loss of drive power.
A loss of power while driving could increase the risk of a crash.

Our records indicate that your vehicle is affected.
Nothing new or groundbreaking here, but maybe keep a look out for one. Scheduled an appointment at the local dealer, but they are pretty backed up with other recalls/motor rebuilds, so its gonna be a bit lol.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts