21 - 40 of 55 Posts

· Administrator
726 Posts
NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V746000

Manufacturer Hyundai Motor America

Components POWER TRAIN

Potential Number of Units Affected 53,142

Summary

Hyundai Motor Company (Hyundai) is recalling certain 2021-2022 Santa Fe, Sonata, Veloster N, 2022 Santa Cruz, Elantra N, and Kona N vehicles. The vehicle's "fail-safe" limited-mobility drive mode may be impaired, when prompted by a transmission oil pump malfunction, which can result in a complete loss of drive power.

Remedy

Dealers will inspect and replace the transmission, as necessary. Dealers will also update the transmission control unit software. All repairs will be performed free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed December 5, 2022. Owners may contact Hyundai customer service at 1-855-371-9460. Hyundai's number for this recall is 236.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.

· Registered
135 Posts
Well....that's me. My build date is 4/22. Ugh. I guess I'll just wait for my letter from Hyundai in order to schedule the surgery.
It’s certain Kona Ns, not all. Mine was also built in April and isn’t coming up as being recalled on Hyundai’s site or the NHTSA’s. I wound up entering about 5-7 different Kona N vins I got off of cars dot com on Friday to see what came up and only about half of them were being recalled…all of which had earlier build dates.

I think it has to do with there being an issue with a specific supplier that manufactured the transmission part…that or a certain factory. I believe all Kona Ns are made in Korea but there are several different Hyundai factories there and the vin doesn’t tell you which one your car came from specifically, just the country of origin. Either way, if your car isn’t coming up as flagged in either database I would worry right now. Articles are making it seem like it’s every DCT N car that was made in those dates but it isn’t…it’s just some of them.

· Registered
4 Posts
It’s certain Kona Ns, not all. Mine was also built in April and isn’t coming up as being recalled on Hyundai’s site or the NHTSA’s. I wound up entering about 5-7 different Kona N vins I got off of cars dot com on Friday to see what came up and only about half of them were being recalled…all of which had earlier build dates.

I think it has to do with there being an issue with a specific supplier that manufactured the transmission part…that or a certain factory. I believe all Kona Ns are made in Korea but there are several different Hyundai factories there and the vin doesn’t tell you which one your car came from specifically, just the country of origin. Either way, if your car isn’t coming up as flagged in either database I would worry right now. Articles are making it seem like it’s every DCT N car that was made in those dates but it isn’t…it’s just some of them.
Same with mine being April and it's not showing on the recall.

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
As of today they adjusted the number of vehicles impacted. It was originally estimated at 60,000, but today I read over 120,000 vehicles now have the recall. Typical of Hyundai low balling how many vehicles will be impacted.

· Registered
118 Posts
My Kona N is on the list. Wonder if changing out the transmissions oil would help some I don't by the never need service tranny there could be shavings in there btw how much oil does the tranny take? Is there a filter in these trannys?.

· Registered
43 Posts

I keep seeing posts from people stating that they've run their VIN through the recall page one day and it's not there, and the next day it is. Mine hasn't shown any red flag yet. Hoping I sneak by this. With my luck probably not though. LOL.

· Registered
2021 Ultimate AWD
12 Posts
My Kona N is on the list. Wonder if changing out the transmissions oil would help some I don't by the never need service tranny there could be shavings in there btw how much oil does the tranny take? Is there a filter in these trannys?.
Don't think this will help from what i read. The issue is with bad soldering on the oil sending unit. Good or bad oil, the electronics can still flake out.

· Administrator
726 Posts
The fix is a trip to the dealer for a transmission inspection and software update. Dealers will replace faulty gearboxes free of charge, and upload new TCU programming that extends failsafe operation to give drivers more time to reach safe haven.

Shouldn't they do the update to all the Kona Ns? To give them all more time before going into limp mode.

· Registered
135 Posts
The fix is a trip to the dealer for a transmission inspection and software update. Dealers will replace faulty gearboxes free of charge, and upload new TCU programming that extends failsafe operation to give drivers more time to reach safe haven.

Shouldn't they do the update to all the Kona Ns? To give them all more time before going into limp mode.

They absolutely should, but with all the bad press Hyundai has been drowning in lately I think they want to do all they can to avoid recalling more cars. They’re in damage control mode right now after all the recalls this year and the child labor incident at the Alabama factory. I don’t think they’re going to go out of their way to tell more people to bring their cars in unless they absolutely have to.

Either way, when some of this dies down I’m absolutely going to call a dealership and ask if they can do the fix to my Kona N as well. Better safe than sorry…although they’ll probably charge me for it.

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The oil pump issue may impact those not listed on the recall. The recall specifically is around reprogramming limp mode so the driver is able to safely get to the side of the road as of now the car limp basically shuts the car off. That is exactly what my local dealership told me. As for getting the oil pump replaced, not sure how that will be handled. I'm thinking nothing will be done if you don't get a CEL but if you do get a CEL: than they will probably replace the oil pump or transmission if damage.

· Registered
135 Posts
Incorrect. N cars with a build date through 5/22. Letters should be received by affected owners around December 5th. Check your VIN to confirm your car is affected here... Hyundai - Recalls
Mine was built in April and doesn’t come up in either Hyundai or the NHTSA’s databases. I think it gets even more specific than that and must be cars from certain factories and/or cars built with a part from a particular supplier. But all the headlines say 50,000 HYUNDAI DCTS RECALLED and everyone loses their minds haha.

· Registered
43 Posts
Mine was built in April and doesn’t come up in either Hyundai or the NHTSA’s databases. I think it gets even more specific than that and must be cars from certain factories and/or cars built with a part from a particular supplier. But all the headlines say 50,000 HYUNDAI DCTS RECALLED and everyone loses their minds haha.
My build date same as yours. Also does not show on recall page. I know other people have been showing on the recall page since shortly after the announcement.

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Incorrect. N cars with a build date through 5/22. Letters should be received by affected owners around December 5th. Check your VIN to confirm your car is affected here... Hyundai - Recalls
Some EN and VN owners already got their letters. I have yet to get one but I know my car is part of the recall as it has a 12/21 build date and my local dealership confirmed it is part of the recall. There is no update yet on when dealership can start working on this recall.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts