Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing some research on a new kona N. I am curious if anyone has put a trailer hitch on the N? Not to pull a trailer, but to put a bike carrier on. I looked into a roof rack, but they are limited to 40#. My ebike weighs 52#, so it can’t go up there. etrailer.com claims to have one that for the ev and n models, but wanted to see if anyone has installed one.
thanks guys.

· Registered
6 Posts
I got ahold of etrailer.com, and they claim this will fit. Hyundai USA says not recommended for towing, but says nothing about using a hitch mounted carrier.
Did you ever install this hitch? Etrailers told me a different model would fit the Kona N: https://www.etrailer.com/question-639700.html
It was a complete lie. I had a mechanic install it, it doesnt fit, you cant rehang the exhaust system.

Im looking at this one: Class 1 Trailer Hitch, 1-1/4" Ball Mount, Select Hyundai Kona, N, EV but Im going to call curt before I buy.

· Registered
6 Posts
ok, update time. There is only one hitch currently made in the US that fits the 2022-2023 Kona N: Curt #11638
If any company tells you otherwise, they are misinformed. Just by looking at the CAD drawings, the hitch needs cutouts for the dual exhaust. Zero mods.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

· Registered
11 Posts
ok, update time. There is only one hitch currently made in the US that fits the 2022-2023 Kona N: Curt #11638
If any company tells you otherwise, they are misinformed. Just by looking at the CAD drawings, the hitch needs cutouts for the dual exhaust. Zero mods.

View attachment 7719
Was looking for that hitch today on Amazon. Must be sold out. Easy to install? Does it have to be torqued with air wrench or anything? I've never installed a hitch. I would actually prefer roof racks to load up a mtn bike but the kona sits a little higher than my GTI and that's about as high as i can handle for loading and unloading.

· Registered
6 Posts
Hi, new guy here with 5 day old Kona N. Local shop failed putting on a Drawtite trailer hitch today that Drawtite tech support assured them would fit. I referred your picture and the Curt hitch you suggested to them. The installation tech says it should work with its arches to clear the exhaust. They’ve got one coming and will try again on Monday. Any worries, or should it go smoothly? I have already bought a 1Up bike rack, I’ve been a roof rack guy for years but done with it.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi, new guy here with 5 day old Kona N. Local shop failed putting on a Drawtite trailer hitch today that Drawtite tech support assured them would fit. I referred your picture and the Curt hitch you suggested to them. The installation tech says it should work with its arches to clear the exhaust. They’ve got one coming and will try again on Monday. Any worries, or should it go smoothly? I have already bought a 1Up bike rack, I’ve been a roof rack guy for years but done with it.
I got my KN at the beginning of the year and also ordered this receiver hitch. I'm going to try and install it tomorrow morning if the weather is good. I'll also be using a 1up rack!

· Registered
6 Posts
The Curt hitch was installed today in just 30 minutes or so. Got my 1Up rack on with just one tray, I have an add-on to put on later. Very pleased with the look and function but I have a problem, car won’t fit in my garage with the rack on, even folded up!
previous owner of my house had converted the one car garage to a bedroom and built a closet that is taking up too much space. Parking my car inside is more important than the closet so demo starts tomorrow.
Bicycle Tire Wheel Vehicle Crankset

· Registered
11 Posts
The Curt hitch was installed today in just 30 minutes or so. Got my 1Up rack on with just one tray, I have an add-on to put on later. Very pleased with the look and function but I have a problem, car won’t fit in my garage with the rack on, even folded up!
previous owner of my house had converted the one car garage to a bedroom and built a closet that is taking up too much space. Parking my car inside is more important than the closet so demo starts tomorrow. View attachment 7947
love it! Did you put the car on jacks or ramps or able to just slide under and wrench it on? Side note, did you ever fit the bike in the back with seats down? Front tire removed? I haven't tried or needed to yet.

· Registered
6 Posts
love it! Did you put the car on jacks or ramps or able to just slide under and wrench it on? Side note, did you ever fit the bike in the back with seats down? Front tire removed? I haven't tried or needed to yet.
I did not install it myself. A local 4 Wheel Drive specialty store did, $493 total for hitch and installation, well worth it to me. Presumably on a lift, only took them around 30 minutes.
i did transport my bike in the car twice, had to take both wheels off for my large frame 29’er. Put a blanket down and put wheels in bags but still a pain to do on any kind of regular basis. I got an add-on second tray for the 1Up but haven’t put it on yet. I transport my bike five times a week or more so I will just leave the rack on. I live in NW Arkansas, self proclaimed Mountainbike Capital of the World, so well over half the vehicles driving around here have racks on them!

· Registered
11 Posts
I did not install it myself. A local 4 Wheel Drive specialty store did, $493 total for hitch and installation, well worth it to me. Presumably on a lift, only took them around 30 minutes.
i did transport my bike in the car twice, had to take both wheels off for my large frame 29’er. Put a blanket down and put wheels in bags but still a pain to do on any kind of regular basis. I got an add-on second tray for the 1Up but haven’t put it on yet. I transport my bike five times a week or more so I will just leave the rack on. I live in NW Arkansas, self proclaimed Mountainbike Capital of the World, so well over half the vehicles driving around here have racks on them!
Dang both wheels? That would be a pain. I have a Medium 29er but imagine it would be tight. Was easy in my GTI. Might just use my Wife's Sant Fe until I get a proper a rack.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts