Hyundai Kona Forum banner

Kona N spied

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  natron_zero 
#1 ·
#4 ·
The Hyundai Kona N may be far enough along to come to life, but it matters how the world will be financially after "the virus"( our surreal virus movie playing out in real life) if Hyundai will push that model out since it will be a limited seller even in best of times. Time will tell. Let's all pray for a reduced mutation and a burn out.

March 09th 2020 posting

March 26th 2020 posting ( Look at the grill and appears to be a larger wing )

#6 ·
I sure hope it is AWD. AWD is a far better in the corners and as a daily driver in the winter. But then again I would own a AWD in a desert in a performance car/crossover/suv. If it is FWD it should have a limited slip diff that will make it a good performer. A lot of the news was they "were going to use i30 N/Veloster N drive train" as you probably saw. But with a 2.0T they could just use Kia Sportage AWD drive train and call it a day since it was 2.0T 248 hp and AWD. It is still also up in the air if it would get the wet clutch system the 2021 Hyundai Sanota 2.5 liter N-line is getting.

#8 ·
Why would you want/need that much power in a Kona, esp in the ICE version? Wouldn't the Veloster be a better (more fun) platform for that engine? A Kona is more like the Crosstrek (I own both, BTW), while the WRX/STI car is Subaru's fun machine.

I have had my fun cars in the past, but right now value utility and comfort much higher. As it happens my Kona EV has quite a bit of fun factor, with that instant electric torque from a standstill. Can beat most sports cars from a red light, and without making a lot of noise and pollution.

#9 · (Edited)
While I like a quiet to semi quiet car, I am not part of "worrying about pollution collective" as we are doing a fine job here in North America. I think 110% of your effort should be worrying about China's pollution, that truly is horrendous. Why do I need more power, because I can handle and drive that kind of power, and plan on autocrossing a car in the future and I want to do it in a fast AWD car. ICE version....... I would own an AWD in the desert. Listen to 5 minutes of this and you will see why. Then you will see why they were banned in two different classes of road racing. I have placed the YouTube time at the time you need to start to reduce your time, you do need the 5 minutes to get the story though.

Here is a picture of my 2 inch lowered Kona AWD 1.6T that I would not trade for a Veloster R-Spec or even my more favorite choice Elantra GT N-Line over the Veloster R-Spec. for the world, I would have to think about the Veloster N since I daily drive in Minnesota winters. In a couple of years after the price of my Kona goes down and it isn't new, I will void the drive train warranty and do a ECU tune and maybe stuffed turbo for a 280 hp Kona AWD. If I was not married, I would of already have a 400 +hp in my Kona AWD.

#10 ·
While I like a quiet to semi quiet car, I am not part of "worrying about pollution collective" as we are doing a fine job here in North America. I think 110% of your effort should be worrying about China's pollution, that truly is horrendous.
When I say pollution, I am not thinking just about C02, but in general clean, non smelly air. We have a free charging station for our Kona EV, just a few blocks away, and so are often walking back and forth from there to our home. And there is a hill on the way. What I have really noticed is how noisy and worst, how smelly (polluting) some cars are. Regular cars make mild noise up the hill, and you can smell them a bit. But when a sports car drives up, it is not only more noisy, but you really smell it, too. Worst are the trucks of course, and you try to hold your breath a bit until the smoke/smell from a diesel pick-up blows by. So, since my EV, I have really noticed that.

Yes, N/A is doing much better than China, but in the cities we still don't have very clean air. I am also a bike rider, so really notice it when riding on the streets as well. And I am not a purist or extreme environmentalist that believes the world will come to an end in 12 years, if we don't stop all fossil fuel burning. But I am for moving more and more to a clean environment, where there is just less pollution in the air (not just C02). The EV is our primary vehicle for around town and short trips, but I also have an ICE vehicle (Crosstrek) for off-road to our cabin, and on trips (gas is still cheaper than electricity for longer trips).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.