Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
2022 Hyundai Kona N Test Drive Review: Hot Cross Fun
They mirror my thoughts:

2022 Hyundai Kona N vs Hyundai Kona
Do you really need a full-fat Kona N when Hyundai's own N Line - which forms part of the regular Kona lineup - looks the part and has nearly 200 hp on tap? That's the question many buyers will ask, and at $25,700, the 2022 Hyundai Kona N Line is several grand cheaper than what the Kona N is going to cost. You have to make some concessions though, like losing out on the adaptive suspension, Pirelli P-Zero tires, a fruity exhaust, and all the extra drive modes. You also only have 195 hp and 195 lb-ft, and the dual-clutch gearbox only has seven ratios and isn't quite as sharp. It comes with the smaller eight-inch infotainment screen as standard, but that has wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
Still, the Kona N Line is quick, fun, and easy to live with, and because you can spec it with AWD, it's better suited to states that see snowfall in the winter. You get the same levels of practicality, a much more pliant suspension setup, and a little more versatility, while the Kona N is all-in on performance focus at the expense of things like ride comfort. For enthusiasts, the Kona N is a new breed of hot hatch that they'll love, but if you're a little worried about a stiff ride, the Kona N Line will surprise you with its balance.

·
Banned
1,848 Posts
The N-Line suspension has been said to be the exact same suspension that the Kona Limited and Ultimate had/has. The Line line has the appearance package inside and out. Too bad the exhaust was not like the N-Line Elantra GT as it was nice and throaty.

AWD is not just for bad weather, a properly setup AWD sports car is far better for "dancing " through the corners then a FWD one. I would have an AWD sport hatch in the desert as AWD id a BIG plus in the corners.

Hyundai failed on the Kona N as it WAS destined to be AWD, not just another "also ran" N with wheel hop and and torque steer that EVERY good reviewer has called out. Hyundai came up with BS excuses like weight and "complexity", give me a break. Hyundai plain and simple failed to see all the people like me who wanted a Kona N "the correct way"and not the cheapskate same old "also ran " way we have with every N. I don't see Hyundai being smart enough to correct their failing. They are too busy with EV's now. They would of sold double the Kona N's in AWD form as I think you would steal 1/4 of the Golf R buyers. A chunk of the WRX, Mitsu Evo drivers who want a new reliable daily. USED buyers for Audi and BMW AWDs would buy a new Kona N AWD. A small somewhat affluent female/husband influenced steering, market that in most cases demands AWD for safety in all weather and want's a sporty unique car. While not a huge pull all these add up to double the sale that completely LOST by Hyundais lack of foresight, stupidity, and effort. to progress the model that has a true AWD calling. This AWD option WITH profit to Hyundai is only $1,400. The rear diff in the 2018 to 2022 1.6T AWD can handle 1,000 ftl bs of torque on and by by it's manufacture website. That means you could easily have a 800 HP and 800 ft lbs of torque Kona N AWD as those parts are robust enough as they are NOW on the 1.6T Kona AWD. NO excuses needed from Hyundai and a company that has 1/3 of it's vehicles that are AWD. There is no complexity to add an AWD system, they are well versed at it, and they are basically not much more expensive as far as it goes for adding it on a new car/SUV.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I believe if you look at the demographics of Kona buyers it reveals Hyundai’s market/product strategy.
In the US, the N Line is a perfect package for Hyundai sales. The N is aimed at a specific (younger) buyer who doesn’t mind getting tickets. Throwing the car into turns on suburban streets or on/off ramps isn’t mainstream for Kona buyers.

The N is for the track enthusiast and street enthusiasts most of which are not yet in their 50’s.

Looking at Hyundai’s sales successes one has to believe they know what they’re doing in terms of market strategy. An individual or small community of enthusiasts isn’t a market that can propel the stock price of a company nor impact the P/L.

It’s volume, market penetration.

·
Banned
1,848 Posts
I believe if you look at the demographics of Kona buyers it reveals Hyundai’s market/product strategy.
In the US, the N Line is a perfect package for Hyundai sales. The N is aimed at a specific (younger) buyer who doesn’t mind getting tickets. Throwing the car into turns on suburban streets or on/off ramps isn’t mainstream for Kona buyers.

The N is for the track enthusiast and street enthusiasts most of which are not yet in their 50’s.

Looking at Hyundai’s sales successes one has to believe they know what they’re doing in terms of market strategy. An individual or small community of enthusiasts isn’t a market that can propel the stock price of a company nor impact the P/L.

It’s volume, market penetration.
I am 60 years old. I am in the age group that can afford and wants a safer handling car, in all weather conditions and have it handle good. (unlike the regular AWD/FWD 1.6T Kona cars that are under sprung and are somewhat dangerous in a panic stop with horrid nose dive and tail lift.) I have not had a ticket yet in my Kona and I drive it hard on the street. I just drive it that way in safe to human areas.

Hyundai is clueless in so many areas. The Kona N is a big one. They can't even build motors that don't blow up with 11 years and counting. Transmissions blowing up too. And you trust their intellect to properly "segment" a performance car? Almost every reviewer wants and calls out for an AWD Kona N. Their sales would easily exceed double if it was AWD vs just 2WD. The competition is coming out with AWD hatch's . As I stated Hyundai FAILED it's customers with the 2WD Kona N. All because of being cheapskates and believe it or not, the knowledge that the Kona N AWD would be KING of the N cars with AWD. AWD is simply that much of a game changer in the corners when properly setup. You can't expect a tire can take steering input 100% and lay down power 100% and expect to get there fast. Not to mention an AWD car is so much more balanced with far better weight distribution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just had a dealer here in NY quote me $10k over MSRP. As far as the car's demographic; I'm a 67 y/o male and what would be considered a hardcore auto enthusiast, have a 10th Anniversary Miata and the original owner of a mint 87 RX-7 Turbo, plus my old reliable pick-up; other than my wife's cars (she now has a Fiat) have only owned 1 automatic trans car (ankle surgery requirement). I saw the Kona N as something that would satisfy my wife's want to sit high, but I could enjoy on the rare ocassion I drive her car. But @ $45k, no way, that's going to whole other level of vehicle. Of course they start to tell me what a rare car it is and how it will retain its value. Yeah, a future collectible Kona.

·
Banned
1,848 Posts
Keep bugging them that you will ONLY pay $500 over invoice. $10,000 over Smitty dealer, POS.

NO Hyundai holds it's value. With fires and now close to $6 BILLION in repaired engines in the last 11 years, every Hyundai has suffered from their inability to make a "group" of reliable cars.

·
Registered
130 Posts
In addition to being price gouged can you imagine all the people that paid those “market adjustment” prices are now upside down on their loans !

I work selling to franchise dealerships. I have customers placing $10k add on pricing for no reason other than short supply. What they don’t realize is when this music stops buyers will remember and patronize other dealerships.

I’ve got customers that once had 500-700 cars sitting on their lot and now have 20. It’s a mess but people continue to pay inflated prices.

Sheep.

·
Banned
1,848 Posts
When I had money down at my dealer about a year ago for a Kona N "AWD". I told the dealer I won't pay over siticker, he said we don't do that. ( I bet he does now with no cars in the lot) When I found out that all the Hyundai Kona N test mules were 2WD I pulled my money. When we wrote up the deal at that time I was only paying sticker price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In addition to being price gouged can you imagine all the people that paid those “market adjustment” prices are now upside down on their loans !

I work selling to franchise dealerships. I have customers placing $10k add on pricing for no reason other than short supply. What they don’t realize is when this music stops buyers will remember and patronize other dealerships.

I’ve got customers that once had 500-700 cars sitting on their lot and now have 20. It’s a mess but people continue to pay inflated prices.

Sheep.
Funny you say that about buyers remembering, that's almost verbatim what I told the salesman.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I received call from dealer closest to me yesterday saying they did a swap with another dealer for a Kona N. I was wanting to look at a black car and it is not black so ask to let me know if a black one shows up in the future and I would take a look. Dealer is only 2 miles away.

Anyway the salesperson worked up a "deal" for this blue car they received and sent me a link.
Total price $46,753 with $799.00 for doc fee and $6,995 market adjustment.

Of course I'd never pay over MSRP for this car and certainly not $800 to do some paperwork. Female sales person so making no contact about this, not her doing anyway.

So now leaning back to the 2023 Golf R maybe after the 1st of the year.
Keeping the STI in any case - Got a tint yesterday 15%.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Close to 8 grand extra? You got to be nuts to pay that. Ha ha. And I question if somebody will. I should get mine between May 31 and June 04, according to a message that got yesterday from dealer. I had to return a $53K (+TTL) Genesis G70 3.3T Sport Prestige with an engine issue, so 36 grand seems cheap by comparison (ha ha), but it's not cheap. Wonder how much the direct competition is (Golf R, Focus RS, etc), but doubt they have as much equipment as the N, no? I just wish it had the ventilated seats other markets get, but at least cloth seats are better than the vinyl (aka vegan leather) that the 2021 Tesla had. They were super hot, even in white, since the HVAC was absolute crap for the 100+ TX weather. Made $3,500 selling it, including all expenses, so good riddance. Hope wife likes it. She's going to look like a cougar at 59 in that car. Ha ha.

·
Banned
1,848 Posts
For work, I am looking all over the USA for a new 2022 Ram Promaster 2500 low roof FWD van. $45,000 and there are basically none of them around. One place had a company back out when 2 came in and one sold and the other one the sales guy said I am looking at right now in the lot. He had to go back to the sales manger to get the # they wanted over sticker, they wanted $15,000 more. I said he could shove that up both your arses. We still have a van that works.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ELPTXJC the Golf R and Focus RS have never been in competition with the KN. The RS has not been made since 2018. The R is ~$44,000 AWD 315HP hatch and somewhat of a legend.

Sadly there is little in the way of community for the KN and what exists is very weak.
When I see a post suggesting that a muffler shop can build a intercooler that's when I realize I'm in the wrong place.

The intercooler for my Abarth had over 50 hours of flow testing and engineered design work to provide peak performance. Not one was built but ~75 to make it worth the manufactures' investment and affordable to the buyer.

Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Hood
Automotive radiator part Rectangle Grille Audio equipment Gas

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nice little car, but it's even smaller than the Kona, right? And yes, the Kona N doesn't seem to have direct competitors, since all of those cars, plus the Mini John Cooper Works are more like 'hot hatches', than a micro SUV. But close enough IMO, even when only FWD The JCW is also FWD). Anyway, maybe the reason for not having aftermarket support now is that the KN just came out recently, plus it's going to be made in limited numbers, no? Aftermarket companies don't like to invest on cars that are going to be made in small numbers, but no idea what Hyundai's plans are for the KN. I haven't seen a single one so far, but lots of regular Konas.

Hey guys, a quick question: Is the drain plug on the Kona N 14mm x 1.5, like on most other Hyundai vehicles? Just to know, since I'll have to order one for the Santa Fe 2.5T, which is that size, just like my ex-Palisade Calligraphy and most other Hyundai/Kia vehicles I've owned. Need to also search for the oil filter, to see if it's the typical blue spin-on 26300-35504, or one of the numerous cartridge ones. The Pali was different than the SF, so I'd have to see which number the KN uses. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
141 Posts
ELPTXJC the Golf R and Focus RS have never been in competition with the KN. The RS has not been made since 2018. The R is ~$44,000 AWD 315HP hatch and somewhat of a legend.

Sadly there is little in the way of community for the KN and what exists is very weak.
When I see a post suggesting that a muffler shop can build a intercooler that's when I realize I'm in the wrong place.

The intercooler for my Abarth had over 50 hours of flow testing and engineered design work to provide peak performance. Not one was built but ~75 to make it worth the manufactures' investment and affordable to the buyer.

View attachment 6907 View attachment 6918
The Golf R is actually now a $50-60k vehicle due to nasty dealer markups. It’ll be a cold day in **** when you find one for $44k.
The Kona N just came out this year, it will take some time for the aftermarket to get going. The Abarth has been around since at least 2012…. Those cars have been dirt cheap on the used market so of course you’ll have all these enthusiasts snatching them up and modding them, driving up the demand of the aftermarket.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Market adjustments over MSRP …. You do know that there are idiots out there paying them. As long as these morons pay the markup the longer dealerships will charge for them.
I don’t blame the dealerships. I blame the buyers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts