Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new Kona N owner here. I bought mine back at the end of December last year and have absolutely fell in love with the vehicle. However, I’ve been running into an issue where the vehicle lurches 2-4x pretty aggressively that only seems to happen when reversing from a complete stop (usually when backing into a parking spot). I’ve made sure the vehicle was fully stopped before switching gears. I’ve tried lightly pressing on the gas. I’ve tried letting the car idle on its own in reverse. I’ve tried just about every way I can imagine to calmly reverse the vehicle from a stop and it seems like no matter what I do, at least half the time it runs into this same problem. It doesn’t seem to matter if it’s a cold start or the car has been warmed up already.

Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find anything specifically from the Kona N online in regards to this exact issue. However, from the limited research I’ve done on other similar models (Veloster N, Elantra N) it seems like the DCT is the common culprit, although it’s typically with heavy accelerating not reversing. I would love to bring it in to my local Hyundai dealer to have them take a look at it, but their service department is AWFUL! For instance, I waited 8 hours one time previously just to get 2 tires changed!

I’ll be looking into getting it serviced at a different dealership when I have the time away from work, but for now I’m looking for some community input on what issue I could be expecting. For context, I have put 17k miles on the vehicle (yes I drive a lot, about 60-70% highway miles) and have been pretty much on point with the recommended maintenance according to the owner’s manual (oil change every 6k miles, only premium 93 gas, had a recommended throttle body service done, etc).

Should this be an issue I need to address immediately? If I understand correctly, if it’s a DCT issue it should be covered by the 100k powertrain warranty. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kona N owner here as well, just finished putting my first 1000kms on it. I have not experienced any kind of lurching in reverse, and I always reverse park into parking spots and my driveway. Sorry to hear you’re having an issue. Keep us posted what you find out!

·
Registered
104 Posts
First thing I would do is to capture a video of the problem so you can better present it. Then you need to find a service advisor that knows what they're talking about and actually cares about the client and their job - makes a world of difference.

I picked up my N the same time as yours and haven't had a single issue with the vehicle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts