Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new here and thinking about trading my q50 in on one of these Kona Ns.

I realize this car is pretty new to NA but there doesn't seem to be much aftermarket for it.. do you guys think that will get better? Even the veloster N does not have that great of an aftermarket from what I've seen. Are the N performance parts(monoblock brakes & forged wheels) orderable through the dealer when ordering the car? I tried to see them in the build and price tool but couldn't seem to find them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys, new here and thinking about trading my q50 in on one of these Kona Ns.

I realize this car is pretty new to NA but there doesn't seem to be much aftermarket for it.. do you guys think that will get better? Even the veloster N does not have that great of an aftermarket from what I've seen. Are the N performance parts(monoblock brakes & forged wheels) orderable through the dealer when ordering the car? I tried to see them in the build and price tool but couldn't seem to find them.

Thanks!
I've messaged a few companies, and there have been a few posts online about others as well.

AFE/SXTH plan to have their intakes out around June/July, SXTH is currently working on their intercooler, they have a Rear Motor Mount, Catch can, and I'm pretty sure the VN down pipe fits, I've seen it listed a few places. There's also some Blow off/By Pass valves available if you're in to that.

Lap 3/SXTH have ECU tunes, people are starting to play with the JB4 stuff as well.

I'd say we're in for a year long wait before we see anything really coming out, especially with supply chain issues, I can imagine getting stuff is pretty difficult right now. Its also more likely the EN sees development a little more quickly then us. I'd also love to be able to get some of that N Performance stuff in North America. The forged wheels and bigger brakes would be killer!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've messaged a few companies, and there have been a few posts online about others as well.

AFE/SXTH plan to have their intakes out around June/July, SXTH is currently working on their intercooler, they have a Rear Motor Mount, Catch can, and I'm pretty sure the VN down pipe fits, I've seen it listed a few places. There's also some Blow off/By Pass valves available if you're in to that.

Lap 3/SXTH have ECU tunes, people are starting to play with the JB4 stuff as well.

I'd say we're in for a year long wait before we see anything really coming out, especially with supply chain issues, I can imagine getting stuff is pretty difficult right now. Its also more likely the EN sees development a little more quickly then us. I'd also love to be able to get some of that N Performance stuff in North America. The forged wheels and bigger brakes would be killer!
Ahh so the N performance stuff is not available to NA then? And thats good news! as long as stuff is in the works then I'm good. Just didn't want to switch to this platform and there be little to no after market support.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ahh so the N performance stuff is not available to NA then? And thats good news! as long as stuff is in the works then I'm good. Just didn't want to switch to this platform and there be little to no after market support.
I can imagine there are ways to get it over here, I can imagine it's also going to cost quite a bit lol.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you're looking to do some serious after market mods then this is one of the few reasons that I would not recommend the Kona N... It's not just the availability of parts, but also the associated costs. The king in this category would have to be the GTI/Golf R. The Kona N is best enjoyed straight out of the box.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
You will have all the associated aftermarket parts costs with a GTI/Golf R, PLUS the $4,000/$10,000++ increase in VW platform costs. You just don't have to wait for up and coming parts with VW. With me, I had to roll the dice "it would fit". I was beta tester for the "commoner Kona" and for the most part 98% of what I bought fit. Some items I had to alter just a bit, to make it work, but say for Whiteline Products all of it fit, Whiteline just did not know they fit, on half their items.

There are many who don't want to leave a Kona N alone, there are things you can improve on that were not done. The Kona N is BEST modified as far as I am concerned, as too, will be for many many people.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Picked mine up yesterday and wish there was a real spare tire....the fix it kit seems lame and the 19s with rubber band tires are subject to all manner of damage.. Anyone solve this problem? There seems to be such confusion between the N and the N line...even with the service folks at Hyundai...maybe they should have set the 2.0 FWD apart with a different letter or ?? When I picked it up the sales guy said you will like the FWD...I told him FWD and he was shocked.....like it so far.. lights up the P Zeros way easy if you give it too much pedal..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Picked mine up yesterday and wish there was a real spare tire....the fix it kit seems lame and the 19s with rubber band tires are subject to all manner of damage.. Anyone solve this problem? There seems to be such confusion between the N and the N line...even with the service folks at Hyundai...maybe they should have set the 2.0 FWD apart with a different letter or ?? When I picked it up the sales guy said you will like the FWD...I told him FWD and he was shocked.....like it so far.. lights up the P Zeros way easy if you give it too much pedal..
i had no problem fitting a donut temp spare in my kona N.. much better than the bubblegum kit, since it can serve to allow you to drive until you get regular tire repaired or replaced. i replaced stock tires with all season ones.
the additional weight of the donut spare in the rear does help with traction and handling, especially in snow.
you can buy the spare off amazon , but i used eBay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i had no problem fitting a donut temp spare in my kona N.. much better than the bubblegum kit, since it can serve to allow you to drive until you get regular tire repaired or replaced. i replaced stock tires with all season ones.
the additional weight of the donut spare in the rear does help with traction and handling, especially in snow.
you can buy the spare off amazon , but i used eBay.
Thanks for the info...Did you stay with the 19s? and what size spare? Is the wheel pattern 5x114?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the info...Did you stay with the 19s? and what size spare? Is the wheel pattern 5x114?
yes. the owners manual implies, if not stated outright, that you have to use 19" tires and wheels.
also specifies 91 octane gas. dealers and hyundai can void warrantites if obd readouts showed record of you using 87 or 89 octane gas.
i plan on responding to them when they send me my next project :
selling summer only tires is stupid , and so is no AWD.
this is not the only model where the north american version can/should differ from korean and european versions.
they can expect somebody to sue sooner or later. ( hardly anyone actually reads the owner's manuals)
best choices are all season tires sold on amazon ( yokohama avid) or mavis tire ( hankook made store brand) .
mavis is division of the bear chain from NYC.
oddly enough , rochester is hdqtrs of monro muffler , which operates under a different name in new england ( bought a chain auto store there)

·
Registered
21 Posts
actual wheel pattern is: 19" diameter, but 5 bolt, and bolt circle diameter is like 114.3 or so, but an exact number in metric.
considering the cost of the tires, i just used the stock wheels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
unless you live in a perpetual hot weather area, like socal or florida, the P zero tires are soft only in hot weather, and rock hard in other seasons, hence a rougher ride and it will be easy to slide in snow, hydroplane, and burn rubber with tromping the pedal from a stop. lighting up the tires is still better than departing from the road and damage. i still think anyone who buys it, is not track racing, and leaves the summer tires on, is asking for trouble.

·
Registered
10 Posts
unless you live in a perpetual hot weather area, like socal or florida, the P zero tires are soft only in hot weather, and rock hard in other seasons, hence a rougher ride and it will be easy to slide in snow, hydroplane, and burn rubber with tromping the pedal from a stop. lighting up the tires is still better than departing from the road and damage. i still think anyone who buys it, is not track racing, and leaves the summer tires on, is asking for trouble.
Agreed, I'm getting my Kona N this weekend and already looking into new tires for it. Continental Extreme Contact dws06 are what I'm going to go with as they are a really strong performance all-season tire and tirerack rates them #1 in their category and I have used them before on my Golf R and found them to be quite strong. I'll turn around and sell the P Zero's for a good price to recoup my costs :)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Agreed, I'm getting my Kona N this weekend and already looking into new tires for it. Continental Extreme Contact dws06 are what I'm going to go with as they are a really strong performance all-season tire and tirerack rates them #1 in their category and I have used them before on my Golf R and found them to be quite strong. I'll turn around and sell the P Zero's for a good price to recoup my costs :)
BF
Another tire to look at is BF Goodrich Comp 2 AS Plus. When I had Extreme 06 on my tuner Kona AWD 1.6T the sidewall were too soft for my liking. I used them for my winter tires, but flat spotted 2 sets (returned) and bought a set of Discount Tire exclusive Continental Sport that had a stiffer sidewall. DT version of the Extreme 06 but a better carcass. That made a big difference in handling. The BFG I suggested might be a tire you never thought of looking at. Look at these spider charts. then look at the Extreme 06 plus spider charts. Up to you, thought I would throw another choice for you up here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
BF

Another tire to look at is BF Goodrich Comp 2 AS Plus. When I had Extreme 06 on my tuner Kona AWD 1.6T the sidewall were too soft for my liking. I used them for my winter tires, but flat spotted 2 sets (returned) and bought a set of Discount Tire exclusive Continental Sport that had a stiffer sidewall. DT version of the Extreme 06 but a better carcass. That made a big difference in handling. The BFG I suggested might be a tire you never thought of looking at. Look at these spider charts. then look at the Extreme 06 plus spider charts. Up to you, thought I would throw another choice for you up here.

Thanks for passing along the info :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts