Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As every Kona EV owner knows, Hyundai does not include a spare tire with their Kona EVs. Instead, they give you a spray can of flat fixer and an air pump - not the best (or most practical) solution if you get a major blowout! You could use a regular Kona OEM spare tire, but they don't fit the rear wheels of the Kona EV due to the size of the brake calipers. So what to do?

Well - I found an awesome solution - Modern Spare sells custom spare tires for EVs, and after ordering one for my 2021 Kona EV, I wanted to give everyone a quick review.

I ordered the full complete kit, which included -
  • Spare tire on a custom rim (I think the rim looks better than the stock rim!)
  • Scissor jack with ratcheting handle
  • Lug wrench with multiple sockets
  • Carrying case for lug wrench and jack handle
  • Plastic bag for your flat tire
  • Carrying case for the tire and jack with an internal sleeve for the lug wrench carrying case
Overall quality is really good - this is not a thrown together assortment. The jack is of better quality than an OEM jack, and the huge tire case is rugged and durable. I did install the spare on the rear, and I can confirm it does fit without interfering with the brake calipers. Overall I am extremely pleased with the kit!

The pros -
  • The spare tire I received is a Pirelli (!) spare, rated for 80 MPH and no range restrictions. Which means I would be able to make it safely home, or to a repair shop, without having to avoid major roads.
  • The ratcheting handle for the jack is awesome, makes it so much easier to raise or lower the vehicle.
  • Lug wrench includes multiple sockets, so you could help someone else change a tire.
  • The plastic bag for your flat tire was a nice touch.
  • Having one bag for everything makes it easier for storage - more on that later.
The cons -
  • Yes, it is a little bit pricey, almost $500 with shipping.
  • The spare tire is bigger than a regular compact spare and just a little bit on the heavy side, makes it a little awkward to mount the spare.
  • The lug wrench can be a bit cumbersome to use - very minor annoyance that could be resolved by purchasing a regular lug wrench.
So now the question I'm sure everyone is asking - does it fit inside the rear storage area? Yes! Yes, it does! What I had to do was remove BOTH foam blocks, and with the tire in it's case it does fit under the rear deck (in it's upper position). To make it easier getting the tire out of the car, I did take the jack out of the bag and put it at the bottom of the well. Regardless - it does fit! Big plus!

In conclusion - if you want to have piece of mind while on longer trips during times when roadside assistance might not be available (like on holidays), then this is an excellent insurance policy. Fit and finish were excellent, ordering and delivery a breeze, and being able to store the kit below the rear deck a huge plus.

Feel free to ask any questions! Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And how you fix the wheel in the storage well

Friction! The case sits a little bit into the well at the rear end, and as a result, does not move at all! I keep the jack and other tools in a separate bag under the spare in the bottom of the well - again, friction keeping everything in place!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It had to be fix, dangerous in case off accident
I agree, and maybe someone will have a better solution. There is an older thread somewhere about someone who mounted a spare in the front by removing the plastic motor cover, bolted some cross beams, and properly secured the spare. I'm not comfortable with that solution, so I'll keep mine in the back.

We do a lot of traveling to see family that are two hours away, and we travel mostly on holidays and weekends. Our concern was finding roadside assistance on a holiday evening, so having a real spare gives us some peace of mind.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I bought some brackets and hardware from the local DIY bigbox to support and secure the spacesaver. There were already matching holes in the tophat stiffener under the sound deadener material so I only had to drill through the paper-thin body steel. I need the tire secured for my own safety and to pass the annual safety inspection.
Product Computer Font Rectangle Gas

Automotive tire White Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior

Gas Composite material Metal Auto part Aluminium

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Must use larger washers because the sheetmetal is so thin.
Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Obviously I upgraded from a hex nut to a thumbscrew to hold it down.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2021 Kona EV SEL
58 Posts
I just have summer and winter tires, if I blow locally (has happened, 2 at once) I just drive over the other set and be on my way. On a road trip I just put one of the other set in the trunk.

Highly reccomend this setup, will probably spend a bit more than double but you're using the same amount of rubber and gain the seasonal performance all while getting rid of the stock Nexen situation.

You can even find wheels for cheap, used, that are OEM, different and can make for a unique look like I did. OEM size, among the best tires you can get, how can you go wrong?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree, and maybe someone will have a better solution. There is an older thread somewhere about someone who mounted a spare in the front by removing the plastic motor cover, bolted some cross beams, and properly secured the spare. I'm not comfortable with that solution, so I'll keep mine in the back.

We do a lot of traveling to see family that are two hours away, and we travel mostly on holidays and weekends. Our concern was finding roadside assistance on a holiday evening, so having a real spare gives us some peace of mind.
The same here when driving around hot Az. The spare setup was the first thing I bought the day I signed the papers I do not trust the fix a flat kit it came with.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, I had a flat rushing to the airport to pick up guests. Always the most inopportune time. I used up the flat fixer in the back but over reacted as usual and asked the local tire shop to fix the flat the next day and sell me a rim and a tire. Of course it is too large but too late to return it. Cost me $200. I think I will keep this in the car if we go on longer trips and at home if the car is being used in town.

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
Just for the record the spacesaver tire size that most closely matches the diameter of the OEM tires is T135/90 D17.

Aside from that you need a wheel with a 5 X 4.5 (114.3 mm) bolt pattern with a 67.1mm hole.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, I had a flat rushing to the airport to pick up guests. Always the most inopportune time. I used up the flat fixer in the back but over reacted as usual and asked the local tire shop to fix the flat the next day and sell me a rim and a tire. Of course it is too large but too late to return it. Cost me $200. I think I will keep this in the car if we go on longer trips and at home if the car is being used in town.
Well that's a bummer with the Hyundai setup you get a spare that does fit and all the tools for it. One thing I like also it that the tools come with is a tow hook.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts