Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in the US it appears that thieves are able to break into Hyundai cars and then break the cover around the steering column and use some sort of USB cable to steal the car.

Apparently older Hyundai cars did not have engine immobilizers and this allowed theft.

Do any of you know if the Kona EV has an immobilizer? My wife refused to use those hefty steering lock bars, so I am concerned.

Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
I tend to trust NPR more than most media outlets, however, I realize they are in the click bait race as well. I think they vet stories to a higher degree than the others. That being said, I just ran across an article by NPR that mentioned my state's biggest metro area, Milwaukee and its police department.

..."Thefts of Kias and Hyundais really exploded in 2021. That year MPD saw 3,557 Kias and 3,406 Hyundais stolen compared to 469 Kias and 426 Hyundais in 2020."...

While I am calmed a bit that my Kona EV has the immobilizer I am not too sure that when visiting my son near downtown Milwaukee that a thief will be smart enough to realize they can't use their new method until after gaining access to the inside of the car via a broken window. I read somewhere recently that the EV is only sold in a handful of east and west coast cities. It's unlikely that thief will have experience with this model.

I might look into a steering wheel lock for when we visit and/or get a vinyl sticker for the window that alerts the thief that a key is not used to start the car.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think that's a good idea and the visible deterrent of the steering lock may be enough. I did read a day or two ago about a Kia Niro EV somewhere in N. America that had a window broken due to this exact reason.

Locally the theft craze is more focused on the Mazda 2, which is also called a Demio as they are imported used from the Japanese domestic market and have no immobiliser. Thieves try to steal as many as they can in one night and post it on social media. Often they are used in ram raids of shops.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm contemplating a DIY steering wheel lock. The reason is I think the commercial versions are so much alike that they are easily learned and defeated where a unique looking lock that they would never have seen may be just the deterrent that will definitely slow them down. That's if they get past my tag I will hang on the driver's side window saying something like "No Key, No Ignition".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts